• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 440gtx.. is 14.5-14.7 volts at 2000rpm+ normal?

Melk-man

Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
1970 gtx, 440ci, stock alternator, volt regulator, coil, etc, distributor does not have points any longer (aftermarket but not sure which one).. starts and runs good, but is 14.5-14.8vt normal when above idle at highway speed?
at idle i see 12.8-13vt, rev it and jumps to 14.5 or so volts. let off and back to 900rpm idle it slowly drops back to 13vt or so. turn lights on stays same, but after it runs a bit vt stays around 14.5 or so (using a good quality volt meter at the battery terminals not relying on the dash gauge)
Is this normal?

Good voltage is better than shitty voltage!

It is just perfect. Why the question on it?

my dash gauge would lean over to 15vt, right between the 13 and the 17 marks while driving, so i put the multi-meter on the battery and was seeing 14.5-14.8 when i reved the motor... and on a typical street motorcycle, you wanted to see 14vt, more than that meant the voltage regulator was failing.. so was afraid it was high...
My local hot rod shop is gonna do some new front end parts, sway bars, leaf springs.. and was gonna order a new msd "blaster 2" ignition coil, and msd pro billet distributor, tuff stuff high output alternator.. other than the Tuff stuff high output alternator being chrome (that would match my chrome AC compressor) i may not do the new alternator (it's almost $400) since the alternator isn't putting out TOO MUCH voltage as i was worried about..

Thanks for the feedback everyone !

my dash gauge would lean over to 15vt, right between the 13 and the 17 marks while driving, so i put the multi-meter on the battery and was seeing 14.5-14.8 when i reved the motor... and on a typical street motorcycle, you wanted to see 14vt, more than that meant the voltage regulator was failing.. so was afraid it was high...
My local hot rod shop is gonna do some new front end parts, sway bars, leaf springs.. and was gonna order a new msd "blaster 2" ignition coil, and msd pro billet distributor, tuff stuff high output alternator.. other than the Tuff stuff high output alternator being chrome (that would match my chrome AC compressor) i may not do the new alternator (it's almost $400) since the alternator isn't putting out TOO MUCH voltage as i was worried about..

Thanks for the feedback everyone !
It's quite possible that the accuracy of the dash instrument is not that precise. 14.5 - 14.8 volt reading for a "factory calibrated" device is great.... What does a digital meter indicate, such as a FLUKE device. .just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

You might just skip all the MSD parts also. Unless, You have a race car or high compression engine? Otherwise it will not make zero difference in the way the car runs.

It's quite possible that the accuracy of the dash instrument is not that precise. 14.5 - 14.8 volt reading for a "factory calibrated" device is great.... What does a digital meter indicate, such as a FLUKE device. .just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Thanks ! the volts i listed are from a decent quality volt meter, not the gtx dash gauges. my volt meter isn't calibrated, but has been reasonably accurate and reliable for some years. (used it for 15 yrs or so roadracing, on dirt bikes, etc)

You might just skip all the MSD parts also. Unless, You have a race car or high compression engine? Otherwise it will not make zero difference in the way the car runs.

good to know. more money not wasted is a good thing ! :)

Auto Transport Service
Back