• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger Color Combo

Color Combo for a 70 Charger

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

70VCode

Local time
1:48 AM
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

So I agreed to a challenge with a friend regarding the color combo for my 70 V Code Charger:

It was originally Burnt orange, with a burnt orange interior, white vinyl top, white "C" strip, The V21 hood black out and the turn down exhaust. This is the way I want it, its different. However, I made a bet with this friend that if it doesnt get to the body shop by the end of the May it would be dressed up the way he suggested. And sadly, it didnt make it to the body shop by the end of May...

His reasoning is since I dont have the original engine and transmission, its not numbers matching and in his eyes it would still be the same value as a 383 car with a 440 6 pack transplanted in. So it would be okay to deviate from the build sheet. He says to paint the car black, keep the burnt orange interior, add the V21 hood black out, the black bumblebee and chrome tips. Given the contrasting finishes of that, it would look really sharp. And I agree with him. BUT I am all about the following the build sheet.

What are your guy's opinions?

I agree with him on the value, but I would do it the way you want! I was in the same boat with my 69 GTX. a lot of factory # pieces gone. However it had some odd options, buddy seat, with buckets, auto on the column. So I kept or found those items, then added a 6bbl A12 set up, GV OD, and AC. Now I have the best of both worlds.

You could just as well throw the fender tag in the trash because it's not numbers matching. Kind of what I am hearing from The buddy speaking.

Hello Folks,

So I agreed to a challenge with a friend regarding the color combo for my 70 V Code Charger:

His reasoning is since I dont have the original engine and transmission, its not numbers matching and in his eyes it would still be the same value as a 383 car with a 440 6 pack transplanted in. So it would be okay to deviate from the build sheet.

What are your guy's opinions?

I'm confused, is it a true 440-6 car or is it an original 383 car and you're going to transplant a 440-6 into it?

dunno_shrug.gif

Its a true 440 6 pack (denoted as "V" Code). However, like many performance cars from this era they were used and abused and the original drive trans were lost to time.

The 383 comment was just a comparison saying since this original 440-6 car does not have its original drive tran its value would be basically the same as a base charger that originally came with a 383 that had a 440-6 installed.

I would love to find a XS29V0G with a 383 transplanted into it for the price of a XH29L0G car.

Its a true 440 6 pack (denoted as "V" Code). However, like many performance cars from this era they were used and abused and the original drive trans were lost to time.

The 383 comment was just a comparison saying since this original 440-6 car does not have its original drive tran its value would be basically the same as a base charger that originally came with a 383 that had a 440-6 installed.

Keeping the car original will be your best bet for resale (when the time comes), even with a non-matching numbers drivetrain. However, the original interior/exterior color combination would not be my first choice & I understand why you want to change it. Just keep in mind that the farther you deviate from original, the less the car will be worth. That said, black is a major PIA to keep clean & if the bodywork is not done 120% right, you'll see every minor wave in it.

Keeping the car original will be your best bet for resale (when the time comes), even with a non-matching numbers drivetrain. However, the original interior/exterior color combination would not be my first choice & I understand why you want to change it. Just keep in mind that the farther you deviate from original, the less the car will be worth. That said, black is a major PIA to keep clean & if the bodywork is not done 120% right, you'll see every minor wave in it.
I agree with Richard on the need for a perfect body if you're going black and the re-sale value being highest if original color but that said, it's your car....do what you want with it

If you paint it back original, you preserve the original identity of thr car. With no tag, it's lost forever

Here's a question...

How solid & original is the sheetmetal (rot & dents) & what kind of shape is the interior in?

There has been some collision damage at the front that is going to be taken care of shortly. The rear of the car (cowl back) is rust free (even the area at the reverse lights!). And there is no rust at any area of the trunk floor or aprons. The interior is complete and original . . . one front seat was recovered sometime in the cars life with a material that is similar to the original basketweave but not an exact match. My intent is to recover both front seats. Fender tag is not lost . . . it is still with the car.

If it's a V code keep as close to original as you can.

There has been some collision damage at the front that is going to be taken care of shortly. The rear of the car (cowl back) is rust free (even the area at the reverse lights!). And there is no rust at any area of the trunk floor or aprons. The interior is complete and original . . . one front seat was recovered sometime in the cars life with a material that is similar to the original basketweave but not an exact match. My intent is to recover both front seats. Fender tag is not lost . . . it is still with the car.

If it was just a rusty shell that needed most of the body panel replaced & had no interior, I'd say do what you want, but based on your description, I have to lean on keeping it as original as possible.

That's the direction I'll probably be going. Don't misunderstand me . . . I am totally digging the idea of having a car quad black (paint/gator grain top/bumble bee stripe/hood treatment and a burnt orange interior . . . just not on a V Code body (even with the non-original drivetrain). This restoration has sat for a number of years and only through my buddy's persistent nagging (which I'm thankful for!) has it resumed. I'm just curious what the general consensus is among fellow BBodyers (bbodiers? bbodyites?)

I have a 70 Charger R /T V code with the matching numbers engine, but not the transmission. Mine is white, with a green interior, and green side stripes. The previous owner had bought all new burnt orange interior for the car. He had another white V code Charger that had burnt orange interior, and had planned replicate it with this car. I was planning on painting mine the 2005 go mango color. That color looks like burnt orange, but with a more orange, and less brown look to it. I have since rethought that idea, and decided to keep the car white, but with burnt orange interior, and orange side stripes. The stripes and interior could be changed back to the original colors with minimal work. No V code Charger R /T matching numbers or not is the same value as a 383 car! Especially in this second generation Charger market!

Kick your "friend" in the dick.
Whether or not the car has the original engine, a V code makes a difference. The color combo is uncommon too, that is a good thing. I think people are becoming more tolerant and understanding that "numbers matching" is a hard thing to preserve since these cars were used hard in their time of service. No rev limiters and no tachometer in many cases....Whaaaat ??

Sorry Kern Dog . . . no kicking is going to be happening. Over the past few years my buddy has been on my butt to restart this restoration and through his persistence I finally did. Anytime I've gotten lazy in the past year he's been on me and will not accept any of my lame excuses . . . I really owe him a lot. We both agree that the V Code is different and most of the numbers matching crowd will never take the opportunity to drive these cars. But that will not be the case with this car. It's gonna get driven and my buddy will either be riding shot gun or doing the driving with me at shot gun. (I've already done shot gun in his Plum Crazy 70 Charger) We were just curious what other bbodyites were thinking and/or what this consensus was in diverting from the build tag/build sheet.

I obviously did not expect you to punt the guy in the cock. :eek:

If it's a V code keep as close to original as you can.

I couldn't agree more. Believe me, I understand wanting to make it the way you want. My Charger was originally a B3 Blue '69 S/E that came with a 383 2bbl and AC, bucket seats with buddy seat and a column shift 727. Nothing special! The original motor was long gone when I got it back in 1987, along with the fender tag and build sheet. It had a 440 in it when I bought it. I am in the process of rebuilding it and I'm building it the way I want. Putting a 440 back in it, but converting it to 4spd. Color will be '68 LL1 Turquoise with white interior, top, and stripe. There is no traceability back to what it came from the factory with, other than the VIN, so I'm doing what I want with it.

However,... Yours is a pretty rare option, and you have the fender tag and build sheet to prove it. If it were me,.... I would try to keep that car as original as possible since it's one of the more rare and special options. Like I said,... I understand, and support anyone making their car how they want it to be, but since you asked,.... I think I would try to keep that one as original as possible.

As for "Numbers Matching",.... Yeah, value drops with a different motor in it, but not by as much as people tend to think. Think of it this way,... how many guys blew up their motors and needed warranty engines. It's nearly 50 years old. Yeah, it would be cool if it was the factory block, but in my opinion, it's just as cool that it at least had that factory set-up. I would find a correct dated 440 and put that thing back in there. Besides,... Do you really plan to sell it someday? If not,... who cares if the numbers on the block match the VIN tag?? You still have a rare optioned V-code car!

I don't like either color of or for the interior really
so I didn't vote

if you're doing it for resale, do it the OE colors
what the build sheet, vin & fender tag denotes
it makes the value better

if you don't care about resale value
or
if you're just doing for personal taste
do what ever rocks your boat, blows your skirt up
go for it, I won't judge you

But;
since you asked for opinions "in the form of a vote"
I'd vote for or I'd do like the idea of burnt orange color on the exterior
But;
I'd do a black top, black interior, blacked out hood treatment
& a black R/T stripe
If, I was doing it to suit my personal taste...

good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back