• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 R/R factory radio question.

skrambler

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Being a bit of a purist, when it comes to my Roadrunner anyway, I was thinking of actually stepping away from my personal "rules" and looking for a factory issued AM/FM radio, to replace the factory A/M radio that is in the car that it was born with... I did add a vintage spark-o-matic F/M converter years ago, but frankly never turn it on even though it does work as well as one would expect it to. I have seen several of these units come up on the "Bay", but they seem to fetch huge dollars. Is this typical of this radio? Also, does just one model of radio fit a 70 R/R ? If there is a model number for the correct radio, I would love to know what it is, and also, what to avoid. Not really sure I want to fool with adding something that the car was not born with, but in the case that I trip over a unit that is "correct" for the car, I would like to know what it is. Thanks Guys!

A 70 AM/FM is going to be spendy, as it is a one year only. A far as I have seen anything with FM, is getting out of reach.

the 5 option codes of course were R08: radio delete, R11: AM radio, R21: AMFM radio and R22: AM/ stereo 8 track, and R31: rear seat speaker (R11,R21, R22 required) Mine has the AM/8Track which has all thumbwheel dials for volume, tuning, balance, etc., no push buttons, part number 2884633, The AM/FM radio has the 2 rotary knobs for tuning and volume with 5 ( I think ) push buttons and the part number is 2884862. As Jaws says, all are getting rare and pricey.
Hope this helps

This is an original 70 B body AM/FM,there are converted ones made from regular AM's on ebay that usually go for around $600,a real one will cost you about a grand for a good working one.

View attachment 93530

This is the one in my 70 GTX, I noticed the one pictured above reads "Chrysler solid state" and mine just has a Pentastar.
Anyone know why? it's the radio that was in the car when I bought it in 1979

Attachments

• IMG_8271.jpg
    IMG_8271.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 261
The radio you show is a Valiant/Dart,71 and up,it bolts right in,those are also Valiant/Dart knobs. This one is on Ebay.

View attachment 93618

The radio you show is a Valiant/Dart,71 and up,it bolts right in,those are also Valiant/Dart knobs. This one is on Ebay.

Thanks, you learn something new every day, Kinda bummed out now though.
Makes you wonder when and why the switch took place.
After seeing the cost of a correct one I think this will stay put for now, it works fine.

Hey Guys, Thanks so much for all the information and photos! Gee, I thought that there would be a better solution to finding and purchasing a FM radio. Best start either saving my money, or maybe even the Lotto!
From the replies, it looks as if other MoPar radios will "fit" but not be correct. This gives me a good idea as to what to look for, and maybe look out for. Thanks again all!

Classic Industries is now offering reproduction radios for 70 B bodies.

As I posted above,$649.00

Whatever factory radios are left go for big $$$. Back in the day, the first thing we did to these cars was rip out the factory radio & throw it away, along with the wheels. Slap in a Craig or Sparkomatic AM-FM... or an underdash 8-track... 6x9 Jensens in the back shelf.

I'm thinking I will leave the factory am radio in my 66 and put a alpine in the glovebox. It's cheaper and better plus you get a cd player. Not sure about how convenient it will be but the alpine comes with a remote.

Auto Transport Service
Back