• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 R/R Vinyl Top Cleaning (?)

skrambler

Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
Hello All.
Just brought home my "new" 70 Roadrunner yesterday. I am going to have quite a few questions to ask in the near future, so hang in there with me folks! I know that some of my questions (maybe like this one) are going to be a bit silly.
The car is totally original. It is Ivy Green (now base/clear) with oringinal two-toned green interior. It also sports it's original green vinyl top. The top is in very nice shape, no lifts or issues, but it is kinda dull... Especially when matched up with this fantastic, shiney paint. I really do not wish to take a brush to to top to attempt to get some of the deep dust I suspect to be down deep in the nooks and crannies of the top. Also, I do not think it would be wise to simply ArmorAll the top either!
What would you guys do to try to bring this nice condition, old top back to life again?
Thanks in advance for all your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate it!
P.S. I will post some photos once I have a clear day.

Nice, just got my 70 RR about a month ago myself. Always wanted one and loved the body lines and look. Plus I see that you are just south of me about 2hrs in Pitt. I have always had good luck with Mothers "Back to Black" for bringing back color to faded vinyl,rubber and plastic of all colors. Can be bought at autozone or other places. Check it out

WELCOME....FELLOW PITTSBURGH-ER HERE ALSO.... where in da burgh are ya? im south in EIGHTY FOUR PA....'bout 25 miles south.theres a few of us here that get together and hit the car cruises...love to have ya!

as far as cleaning the top...i have a white top on my 70 RR and its a bit dirty too...but since i NEVER put water on the car...i just use a leather cleaner, and a clean rag....works great on white tops , should work good on yours too !

if you have no prob wetting the car with a hose....DAWN dishwashing liquid, and a NOT TOO STIFF brush works great too. then treat it with a leather conditioner! badda-BING!

Mothers Back to Black.
I used it on a 69 GTO I had....MAN, What a difference!!
Made the top look like new.

my top is original to my car and also still in pretty decent shape , They are pretty tough .

Attachments

• PB200008.JPG
    PB200008.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 128
  • PC180340fgrfgrfgtdc.JPG
    PC180340fgrfgrfgtdc.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 121
  • PB260070black.JPG
    PB260070black.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 117
  • PC180326dfdcder.JPG
    PC180326dfdcder.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 125
Hello again All.
Thanks, you guys for your replies.

MoparStuart, what is "Touch Stuff". I have not heard of it. Briefly explain how it is applied please. I will post some photos once I am able to get the car back out of the garage! It has been raining Cat's and Dog's since I brought the car home!

To you others that seem to swap towards "Back To Black". Is this a one step proceedure? Or, is there cleaning and or conditioning before you apply this product? Any suggestions as to how to "deep clean" before dressing the top? Or, should I really not be concerned about that?

TPODWDOG. I am actually a bit North of the "Burg" in Butler. Would love to shoot the breeze with you sometime! I am still looking forward to my first drive in the car for a "shake down" trip before I go too far. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the seller was honest in what he told me about it....

DP78. If you are ever in my area, would love to see your car too!
I am also a big fan of the 70 R/R body lines... I also have been wanting one since High School were only the real "cool" guys had enough cash to plunk down for a bird.

Hello again All.
Thanks, you guys for your replies.

MoparStuart, what is "Touch Stuff". I have not heard of it. Briefly explain how it is applied please. I will post some photos once I am able to get the car back out of the garage! It has been raining Cat's and Dog's since I brought the car home!

To you others that seem to swap towards "Back To Black". Is this a one step proceedure? Or, is there cleaning and or conditioning before you apply this product? Any suggestions as to how to "deep clean" before dressing the top? Or, should I really not be concerned about that?

TPODWDOG. I am actually a bit North of the "Burg" in Butler. Would love to shoot the breeze with you sometime! I am still looking forward to my first drive in the car for a "shake down" trip before I go too far. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the seller was honest in what he told me about it....

DP78. If you are ever in my area, would love to see your car too!
I am also a big fan of the 70 R/R body lines... I also have been wanting one since High School were only the real "cool" guys had enough cash to plunk down for a bird.

tough stuff they have a foaming can or just an spray bottle most auto parts stores carry it . Its great for cleaning any soft parts and upholstery .

Yeah I'm about 1.5hr north in Edinboro area and not always home. My job has me other places right now. Sucks really want to be working on my car. But if thier is any big shows in Pitt area around the end of june, I am always up for the drive. Bought this car to run the roads not sit in garage and come out on sundays. I would clean the top with some warm soapy watery first before applying back to black. Its more of a conditioner and protector than cleaner. If your top is really dirty and moldy I would use a product called "spray nine". Works wonders on getting mold and mildew off of vinyl. Should be available at walmart or a boating store.

Auto Transport Service
Back