• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

`70 road runner, FC7, 383, 727 It`s waited long enough, finally time to get it done.

torredcuda

Local time
12:06 PM
Reaction score
I bought this one back in 2000 out of NJ for $5000, matching numbers 383, FC7, black bench, column auto. I tore it down but it`s been pretty much just sitting awaiting restoration due to other projects that kept pushing this one back. I finally decide I need to get it done so I sold my `76 truck project to free up the time, money and space I need. Overall car is very solid just needs quarters, trunk pan and small patch on drivers floor pan - should be an easy job compared to the total rust buckets I usually work on.

1970 road runner.jpg

1970 road runner engine bay.jpg

How it is currently - ignore the pepto bismol pink, I wanted to get some paint on it so it didn`t rust thru the laquer gray primer so I threw some leftover red and white paint together and sprayed it on.

rotis70rr.jpg

rot70rr3.jpg

rot70rr2.jpg

Fender tag is obviuosly a real original one not a fake - don`t care what anyone else thinks. Most of my interior was missing when I bought it so I don`t have a broadcast sheet. It would be nice to have but it`s not going 100% correct concours so not really that big of deal.

*Removed for breaking rules
I wanted a real factory FC7 rr and luckily found this one, I just wish it had white interior instead of black as that really makes the In-Violet pop. Car had quarter skins put on some time before I got it but they were not done very well so I am going to put full quarters on it, hopefully they are available as they were on back order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truck is gone and road runner is in the shop. It's on a homemade rotisserie but it's better than doing it on jack stands like I did my Barracuda.

20221016_151809.jpg

20221016_154939.jpg

Last stickered in 1994, had an ugly reddish brown paint job on it, anyone recognize it?

20221016_151817.jpg

20221016_151835.jpg

Only rust is drivers side foot well area but previous owner hacked in a section for 4 speed conversion so I'll be doing a complete front floor pan

20221020_153656.jpg

The car had quarter skins done previously but they were hacked, welded right on top of leftover original quarter along the wheel wells. Other than a couple small spots outer wheel wells are solid.

20221021_113644.jpg

20221021_113730.jpg

20221021_113755.jpg

Nice!

I restored my 1970 Limelight Road Runner about 7 years ago. The 70 Road Runners are awesome cars. Take your time and work through all the details as needed. In case it is of any use, I provided a link to my restoration below. Buried in there are some measurements for things like where the "road runner" script should be on the sides, plus more. Also, PM me if you need some specific pictures - I might have them.

In the mean time, below is some (hopefully) motivation!

Mine went from this (with non original yellow paint but with original limelight showing through)
IMG_1975.JPG

...to this - and back to original Limelight
20171028_165548.jpg

D18_DSC_0001.JPG

Good luck and I'll be following along...

Hawk-Rod: The Restoration

Thanks for offer of help, always good to have references and measurements. I`ve been thru the process before, my Barracuda was way worse. Hopefully the road runner doesn`t take as long, yours looks great.

cuda blue.jpg

cuda metal work.jpg

cuda 2022 3.jpg

Truck is gone and road runner is in the shop. It's on a homemade rotisserie but it's better than doing it on jack stands like I did my Barracuda.

View attachment 1358831

View attachment 1358832
Nice job on the rotisserie. I do my own fab work and that is awesome. I have a hoist so I do mine overhead. Would love a rotisserie but didn't have a place to store it when its done. yours looks amazing for home made.

I can`t take credit for building the rotisserie as I actually got for free off Craigs List although I did have to lengthen it and add the supports to bolt it to the body.

I can`t take credit for building the rotisserie as I actually got for free off Craigs List although I did have to lengthen it and add the supports to bolt it to the body.
Might have to start looking at CR again. I got a body cart for a 70 Nova and modified it to fit a 2nd Gen Camaro but it cost me 300 for the initial setup. It still wasn't a rotisserie.

Parts starting to arrive, trunk floor came from Texas, quarters and extensions are on their way but front floor pan is back ordered and not due in till mid December. That's fine as I can get the rear clip going now and floor should be here by the time I need it or maybe before as I'm old and decrepit and don't work as fast as I used to.

20221108_111330.jpg

Got the rear off the rotisserie and on jack stands before cutting the rest of the quarters and trunk off, lots of spot welds to drill out. New quarters and extensions scheduled for delivery on Monday.

20221110_163310.jpg

20221110_163326.jpg

20221110_163331.jpg

Very nice work! Love me some 70's!

Auto Transport Service
Back