• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner restoration

Yes gdrill, I did a test fit, didn't see that though. Just a couple of cuts with the grinder, and voila!! fixed....:D

100_0772.jpgSo after a few hours of hundreds of tack welds, this is on the "done" list :)

- - - Updated - - -

100_0770.jpg100_0771.jpg Thought I would change things up a bit and take a break from the rear end. Just need to take a few patches from the old fender and graft them onto this one, and it will be mint!

That looks really good Dawg. It is nice to change things up. Working on the fenders will be good. My son and I just sectioned a front on to his Barracuda passenger fender. Turned out good. Thank goodness the driver's is good though!

Man Dawg you are making some real head way on this old bird, I look forward to seeing your grafts, I think you will be having some fun in the sun with this soon, Great work...

Rum and Coke haha, for me it's Captain Morgan and Pepsi and it works very well! Your work is looking great Dawg.

Thanks guys! I'll just keep plugging away at it, it will get there sooner or later...

- - - Updated - - -

Mmmmm, Captain Morgan... Good call,747mopar!!:icon_thumright:

100_0776.jpg100_0778.jpgCut this piece out for the patch to go in....

- - - Updated - - -

100_0775.jpg100_0779.jpgAnd now for lots of tack welds....

Man that's some good work you are doing, Im going to hire you when i run into some problems, you seem to have a good handle on this stuff!!! Looking REAL good there TD!

Looks good Dawg. Tacking is slow, but it is nice to be able to save old parts instead of just replacing with repros, not that I wouldn't mind having some of those too!

Thanks Ron! I don't know about hiring me though.... I may be a LITTLE too far away...lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks gdrill... I know what you mean about the parts, I have a 66 Coronet waiting patiently for it's restoration. :)

100_0788.jpg100_0789.jpg Welding done... Yay!!! On to the next...

- - - Updated - - -

100_0790.jpg100_0791.jpg100_0792.jpgThe fender, the patch and the cardboard template, getting ready for cutting, tacking and grinding :)

Nice work there TDawg. One day I will have the guts to really dig into a bodywork project. My father-in-law has an old drag car I might try to grab for some racing on of these days. In the mean time, I will live vicariously through your bodywork skills!

Keep up the good work!

Hawk

Thanks, Hawk! The way I see it, nothing ventured, nothing gained. :) As long as I take my time, it seems to work out. ( I'll try anything once.... twice if I like it, lol) Of course, I'm sure there are shortcuts and easier ways of doing things, but that is only gained through experience (or knowing a good bodyman) Nonetheless, I'll keep at it!

100_0793.jpg Cleaned and coated under the patch area to ( hopefully ) stop the rust....

- - - Updated - - -

100_0794.jpg100_0795.jpg small area requiring some attention and fitting the patch..

- - - Updated - - -

100_0796.jpg100_0797.jpg OOOOOPS.... after marking out the template, I do believe I cut on the wrong side of the line.... ROOKIE MISTAKE !! ( and I wasn't drinking, so I can't use that as an excuse, lol) So after some head scratching, I figured the steel wire could be used to take up the gap when welding.... hope this works....

Damn nice job you're doing. I've see folks use that wire trick on welding up high temp/pressure boiler tubes. Think you'll probably be ok with a little auto sheetmetal.

Auto Transport Service
Back