• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 RR clutch fan

471b1dart

Local time
11:13 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what clutch fan i need for my 70RR? Its 383 4speed with 26 " rad , I would like to add one , not sure if it came with one or not. Thanks in addvance.

According to my research all '70 383 4bbl 3 or 4 speed used a 22" radiator part #2998954 with a shroud, and an 18" 7 blade fixed fan w/2" pitch #2863224 and 1.06" spacer #1851959. Max cool and A/C were optional with automatics.

This was my response to your question on the other catagory, responding to the suggestion to condider Tony's Parts. www.tonysparts.com
ABSOLUTELY THE CORRECT CLUTCH TO USE. It is a TORQUE drive design, that limits the fan RPM. Check out the other offerings on the site. Tony also offeres THERMAL drive types, that sense the air temp coming thru the radiator and adjust the fan's RPM that allows the fan to freewheel sooner or later. Either of these clutches require the use of the seven (7) blade fan assembly and the whole package will perform best when used with the addition of the fan shroud. Consider integrating the info presented by turbine68RT as well, if you are considering a solid drive 7 blade fan (no clutch)....good info.
BOB RENTON
FYI....the torque drive fan clutch was used with the HEMI and 440 six barrel engines. The thermal drive fan clutch was used with A/C cars. Hayden also supplies thermal drive clutches but they work well but definitely look after market.....personally, i would use Tony's offerings....they look and perform like the origional.
BOB RENTON

Thanks for the info , I already have the factory shroud and 7 blade fan ,car runs cool on highway or in traffic now just wanted to add clutch. will my 7 blade fan work on clutch or will I need a clutch specific fan. Thanks agian for all the help

Thanks for the info , I already have the factory shroud and 7 blade fan ,car runs cool on highway or in traffic now just wanted to add clutch. will my 7 blade fan work on clutch or will I need a clutch specific fan. Thanks agian for all the help

You will need a clutch specific fan to fit the clutch, the fan hub is different. Additionally, different mounting hardware will be required: fan to clutch and fan clutch to water pump drive sheave. Again, Tony's Parts www.tonysparts.com (B body reproduction page 2) or Mancini, or Yearone etc can help. Tony's Parts has what you need ...7 blade fan to fit the clutch....ask about the mounting hardware needed. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

You will need a clutch specific fan to fit the clutch, the fan hub is different. Additionally, different mounting hardware will be required: fan to clutch and fan clutch to water pump drive sheave. Again, Tony's Parts www.tonysparts.com (B body reproduction page 2) or Mancini, or Yearone etc can help. Tony's Parts has what you need ...7 blade fan to fit the clutch....ask about the mounting hardware needed. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Thanks for the information , will start searching for parts now.

I have a 70 Air Grabber Road Runner. It is a 383, 4 speed car that came with a 26" radiator. It has the A36 Performance axle package that came with a 3.55 Sure Grip, HEMI suspension, HD cooling.

Below is a picture of my car before restoration. Not a great picture, but you can clearly see the clutch.
20111122_1059.JPG

So yes, I believe a car with heavy duty cooling (a 26" radiator) came with a fan clutch.

Hope this helps confirm what you needed.

I have a 70 Air Grabber Road Runner. It is a 383, 4 speed car that came with a 26" radiator. It has the A36 Performance axle package that came with a 3.55 Sure Grip, HEMI suspension, HD cooling.

Below is a picture of my car before restoration. Not a great picture, but you can clearly see the clutch.
View attachment 1236866

So yes, I believe a car with heavy duty cooling (a 26" radiator) came with a fan clutch.

Hope this helps confirm what you needed.
Hawk, just curious, what is the part # of your radiator?

Turbine68rt,
If it helps, my RS23V0A****** GTX with the A34 super track pack, Max cool radiator, totque drive clutch # 2806070, 7 blade fan, shroud, 4.10 Dana, PS/PDB, my radiator is # 2998956.
BOB RENTON
Thanks for the info Bob, Trying to figure out some conflicting info I had re:direct drive/torque drive fan application in 383 4bbl 4spd cars for '70. I understand the 440 cars received the 26" rad, but Hawk's car apparently came the same way even with a 383. Interesting. I guess not every restoration guide can be 100% correct, especially in the Mopar world.

I understand the 440 cars received the 26" rad, but Hawk's car apparently came the same way even with a 383. Interesting.
My understanding is the 383 cars received the 22" radiator standard. But there were a number of performance packages that were optional where it was included. In my case it was the A36 package, but I want to say that it was also associated with the 4 speed. Like there was some special package that included the 4 speed and A36 package? But don't hold me to that, my memory could be off.

My understanding is the 383 cars received the 22" radiator standard. But there were a number of performance packages that were optional where it was included. In my case it was the A36 package, but I want to say that it was also associated with the 4 speed. Like there was some special package that included the 4 speed and A36 package? But don't hold me to that, my memory could be off.

IMO....you are correct....the A36 package includes HD sudpension, the 26" max cooling radiator, # 2998956, which included the # 2806070 torque drive fan clutch and shroud. As Hawkrod noted, he also has the 3.55 rear gear. If so, and he has power steering, then he SHOULD have the PS pump oil cooler, regardless of the pump installed. (My GTX has a Saginaw pump, oil cooler and the 4.10 Dana gear but because of the "V" engine, HD suspension was included, and everything that went along with the A34 package). According to Galen Govier's white book, the #2998956 radiator is used with auto trans (water to oil heat exchanger in bottom tank) AND the 4 speed cars, (heat exchanger not plumbed in). The 3rd pix shows the trans oil cooler connections, present but not used. I guess it was easier to make one style radiator for both applications.
BOB RENTON

IMO....you are correct....the A36 package includes HD sudpension, the 26" max cooling radiator, # 2998956, which included the # 2806070 torque drive fan clutch and shroud. As Hawkrod noted, he also has the 3.55 rear gear. If so, and he has power steering, then he SHOULD have the PS pump oil cooler, regardless of the pump installed. (My GTX has a Saginaw pump, oil cooler and the 4.10 Dana gear but because of the "V" engine, HD suspension was included, and everything that went along with the A34 package). According to Galen Govier's white book, the #2998956 radiator is used with auto trans (water to oil heat exchanger in bottom tank) AND the 4 speed cars, (heat exchanger not plumbed in). The 3rd pix shows the trans oil cooler connections, present but not used. I guess it was easier to make one style radiator for both applications.
BOB RENTON
FYI for those with some of these cars: Although my car now has power steering, it was originally a manual steering and brake car with drum brakes.

Auto Transport Service
Back