• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 72 charger differences frm 73 74 help

Once I made a list, ( which of course will need to be revised and updated because I have learnt and found a lot more ) and was saved by a fellow moparian and posted on 3rd gen charger board.

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/thread/877/interchangeable-parts-71-72-73

this will be a good start. more on the way
Need to update the trunk lid part 7172 are not the same as 7374. Different in locks and 71 had place for wing and the dovetail is different.

20190818_100337.jpg 20190818_100237.jpg

Diff cylinder hole, true, but false on the rest. 71s got the cuts for the wing, but the underside frame is the same in all 71/74. Just laters didn't get the cuts, but the blank space is there.

You CAN FIT any 71/74 deck lid on ANY 71/74 Charger just considering the correct cylinder for the trunk lid. It has been done many times.

Diff cylinder hole, true, but false on the rest. 71s got the cuts for the wing, but the underside frame is the same in all 71/74. Just laters didn't get the cuts, but the blank space is there.

You CAN FIT any 71/74 deck lid on ANY 71/74 Charger just considering the correct cylinder for the trunk lid. It has been done many times.
We can go back and forth all day long with this . But look at the pictures they don't lie there's a noticeable difference in the dovetail . And yes you can make anything look rite with some filler.

Nacho

nacho let me give you an example of ma mopar changing something slightly. Look at the duster deck lid same fit from 70 to 76 same bottom different skins. Flat for 70 71 rib down center for the rest.

Yes I know about looks differences on Demons/Dusters deck lids, but still interchangeable. Trust me you can fit a 71/72 charger deck lid on a 73/74 and backwards ( without filler/bondo ). It has being done many times and not by me, but I have seen this since ever.

Need to note this... American cars never got perfect shapes when molded. You can find even NOS pieces needing some massaging to fit correctly on a car. Tolerances on American cars are quite huge!! diff from European cars where fitting is close to perfection ( specially German cars )!

Yes I know about looks differences on Demons/Dusters deck lids, but still interchangeable. Trust me you can fit a 71/72 charger deck lid on a 73/74 and backwards ( without filler/bondo ). It has being done many times and not by me, but I have seen this since ever.

Need to note this... American cars never got perfect shapes when molded. You can find even NOS pieces needing some massaging to fit correctly on a car. Tolerances on American cars are quite huge!! diff from European cars where fitting is close to perfection ( specially German cars )!
I don't buy that for a minute. I will do a complete detailed description of my findings. I'm not the only one with this view and unless someone can show me in a Chrysler interchange book or some other proof.

Park a 71-72 Charger next to a 73-74 Charger, and you will see that they are very different cars.
Look under the hood, or put them on a hoist and you will see how they are very different cars.
As for exterior body parts interchanging, the hoods, and trunklids are the only parts that can be swapped, and even those had changes year to year. Doors will not swap. They lowered the window opening in 73. If you tried to swap a 71-72 door onto a 73-74, the door would sit an inch higher at the rear.

bumpers swap

Park a 71-72 Charger next to a 73-74 Charger, and you will see that they are very different cars.
Look under the hood, or put them on a hoist and you will see how they are very different cars.
As for exterior body parts interchanging, the hoods, and trunklids are the only parts that can be swapped, and even those had changes year to year. Doors will not swap. They lowered the window opening in 73. If you tried to swap a 71-72 door onto a 73-74, the door would sit an inch higher at the rear.

Everything of that is already posted. As I mentioned, the referenced thread what it was composed by me is very old and could need several adds and corrections based on recent learnts BUT STILL is very accurated

On a side note... not just hoods and deck lids, but rear valence as a straight bolt on pieces, front valence and front fenders as an allmost perfect match with some tweaks, details and stuff, roof, trunks pan ( 74 exception ), trunk extensions, inner rear wheel wells, floor pans, “ductchman” panel, rocker panels, rear frame rails, kick panels, cowl panel and some more stuff with minor tweaks ( like firewall ) as a welding panels

Last edited:
Here is a brown 74 door and a green 72 door. The 72 door is taller and the body lines are convex at the top. The 73-74 doors are cut lower and have a concave at the top.
Not shown is how the lower body line also was raised up in 73.
You cannot put a 71-72 on a 73-74 or vice versa, and expect anything to line up at the rear.
The 73-74 doors have continuous body lines top and bottom, where the 71-72 have the double diamond sort of shape similar to a 67-70 Charger door, with body lines that do not carry through near the "louvers" on a 71 R/T or 72 Rallye.
Also notice the lock cylinder is in a different spot too.
Inner upper door panels also do not fit between 71-72 and 73-74.
Oh yeah, and the 73-74 doors weigh a ton, because they have a huge side collision beam added inside.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a brown 74 quarter and a green 72 quarter. While the wheel opening stayed at the same height, the body line on the 73-74 was dropped considerably. About an inch.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Another shot of a brown 74 quarter and a green 72. Notice the concave shape at the upper quarter. The 72 body line is straight at the rear where it meets the quarter extension piece. On a 73-74, there is an obvious kick up to the body line. The quarter extension piece is much squarer, and has the odd angles.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Another shot near the back window showing how he brown 74 quarter has a completely different look than the green 72. The 73 redesign made all the body lines much more pronounced, lowered and exaggerated.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The wheel opening on a brown 74 fender is raised up, compared to the Orange 71 fender.
This is because the suspension was radically changed in 73, lowering the car. The wheel opening was moved upward in 73 about 1 1/2". This is one reason that 73-74 Chargers look like low riders compared to 71-72's. because they are!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

bumpers swap
Well the front bumper itself will, but not the brackets. Front brackets won't bolt on because the front frame rails are totally different between 71-73 and 73-74. Rears on a 73-74 are much longer to sit the bumper out from the car further. The whole assembly can be swapped on the rear.

where's the dead horse gif when you need it?

Everything of the mentioned and pictured is clear on the list.

However I need to mention, as far I recall the ride height is the same in all 71/74 B bodies.

Will the 71 Charger rally tail light housing interchange with a 73 ?

Auto Transport Service
Back