• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger 383 Magnum carb question

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say? I read the referenced post and was asking the question about certification or re-certification of the Carter design. BTW...the origional, unmolested Holley R-4668 that was on my car, must have been exempt or eluded the replacement police, as I still have it, and it works just fine.
BOB RENTON

If you're asking about my post, I was referring to Bee1971's post. I was wondering what the issues were about the 4668, since he was involved in the replacements. The problems must have pretty bad to warrant changing them.

If you're asking about my post, I was referring to Bee1971's post. I was wondering what the issues were about the 4668, since he was involved in the replacements. The problems must have pretty bad to warrant changing them.
I was not involved - That was a quote from someone on another post who was involved and worked at a dealership

The issues where the tube o-rings and gaskets - Heat , then fuel leaks , then fires

Talked to numerous original owner on there cars or unrestored original at the Mopar Nats and Carlisle about the replacement carbs also

My R4668 was laying on the backseat when I bought it in 1984

There a very easy rebuild , but I was never impressed with the performance side of things compared with the Carter AVS or especially when I installed my very first Holley 3310 back in the 80s when I was still a young kid

I found it weird talking to the owner later on during car shows about the R4668 and when my 71 Superbee was Ziebart rustproofing because of the window sticker and plastic plugs - The undercoating was all over the air cleaner , valve covers , and Carter AVS 6125s while the Holley was laying in the car he said

He said he found it in the trunk when he picked up the car from the dealer one day

thanks for the clarification and info. Many holleys have the same fuel transfer tube, and can be upgraded with better seals. Not a bad carb IMHO, but needs work to be sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back