• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 charger 383 to 472 gen 2 engine swap Schumacher mounts

Don Chapel

Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
I just installed my gen 2 hemi in 71 charger and the passenger valve cover contacts the inner fender. I have mopar performance roller rockers with cast valve covers and not sure if I can run a valve cover with more clearance or what to do about it, has anyone had or seen this problem? TTI header fits without any problems. The little bump where valve is clearanced on the cast cover is touching, also flat edge when back of engine was down. I can pry on it and feel the resistance of engine mount rubber buty it will move without real hard pressure.

20220617_150102.jpg

20220617_150114.jpg

20220617_122055.jpg

20220616_202147.jpg

20220615_150959.jpg

Last edited:
Was the car originally a small block? Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but the right inner fender may be different and sit in closer to the engine. Just my 2 cents.

Right side can be a problem on many cars with a Hemi. Some massage the inner fender fro clearance. On mine I ended up getting the special made Indy valve covers. The right is designed for fender clearance.

Right side can be a problem on many cars with a Hemi. Some massage the inner fender fro clearance. On mine I ended up getting the special made Indy valve covers. The right is designed for fender clearance.
Any info on the covers you got? Pics? Thanks!

Any info on the covers you got? Pics? Thanks!
No pics at the moment. If you go to Indys web site and look at the Hemi valve cover listing it says clearanced for right shock tower/inner fender.

No pics at the moment. If you go to Indys web site and look at the Hemi valve cover listing it says clearanced for right shock tower/inner fender.
OK, wish they would upgrade their website. its old school

If not wanting to go to steel covers you can clearance the aluminum covers enough to clear.They are quite thick.
Then repaint with wrinkle finish paint.

If cost is not a issue I'd check into the Indy covers.Looks like you have a high end build.

I just installed my gen 2 hemi in 71 charger and the passenger valve cover contacts the inner fender. I have mopar performance roller rockers with cast valve covers and not sure if I can run a valve cover with more clearance or what to do about it, has anyone had or seen this problem? TTI header fits without any problems. The little bump where valve is clearanced on the cast cover is touching, also flat edge when back of engine was down. I can pry on it and feel the resistance of engine mount rubber buty it will move without real hard pressure.

View attachment 1300284

View attachment 1300285

View attachment 1300286

View attachment 1300287

View attachment 1300288
This is a normal issue with hemi to deal with. You have three choices.

1. Cut out the shock tower and reverse it so top of shock is inside the wheel well.
2. Heat with oxy/acetylene torch and bang the tower flatter.
3. Shim the motor mounts to bolt on passenger side over toward the drivers side by1/2 inch which may require cutting a section of spool mount on drivers side.

I’ve done this each way and the motor has to be installed from bottom. Also you may have to dump cast covers in favor of the stamped steel covers.

Last edited:
This is a normal issue with hemi to deal with. You have three choices.

1. Cut out the shock tower and reverse it so top of shock is inside the wheel well.
2. Heat with oxy/acetylene torch and bang the tower flatter.
3. Shim the motor mounts to bolt on passenger side over toward the drivers side by1/2 inch which may require cutting a section of spool mount on drivers side.

I’ve done this each way and the motor has to be installed from bottom. Also you may have to dump cast covers in favor of the stamped steel covers.
Dang!! If ya want to play gotta pay huh. Thanks

I wonder how much clearance I need to clear when the engine rocks while running. 1/2 inch?

Auto Transport Service
Back