• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

No problem at all. I like to post as much information as I can in case someone else is interested in the same issue. This car should not require a lot of fabrication but it will require some to be sure as they all do. I will get back onto it as soon as I can get my 85 MR2's suspension rebuilt.

I did just receive my tires, they Cooper Cobra's, the rear are 295/50R15 and the front are 245/60R15s.

IMG_6606.jpg

It seems that I am going to have to gut the 4spd hump out of the car or at least a portion of it, then mock the car up to see where the shifter lands and go from there since the TKX puts the shifter behind the T bar cross member.

It seems that I am going to have to gut the 4spd hump out of the car or at least a portion of it, then mock the car up to see where the shifter lands and go from there since the TKX puts the shifter behind the T bar cross member.
The tkx doesn't have multiple shifter locations?

The tkx doesn't have multiple shifter locations?
It does, however it has to be configured for whichever one is to be used which is not insurmountable at all, but the front mount is too far forward and closer to what a 70 B body or an A body would have. They do have a shifter "adapter" that can move the shifter back about 1 3/4 and out the same about which would put it closer but still quite a ways from where it would be stock.

Like I said, I believe the answer to this mystery requires me to remove part of the tunnel that is there and then mock up the car with the engine and trans. This will tell me exactly where everything is and I can decide from there.

I am still looking for a picture of a 71+ B body tunnel with the shifter hole behind the T bar mount.

The plan is to make a very reliable, fun and capable daily driver type car. Essentially everything will be new or redone except the exterior. It will have a air grabber hood and the 71 spoilers front and rear. Not planning on painting the exterior anytime real soon but when/if I do it will be B5 which is the original color. Here are some of the "details" for anyone interested

2019 5.7 Hemi crate engine
6.4 Cam and springs
TTI headers
Holley Terminator management system
TTI engine mounts
Remote oil filter
Holley front accessory plate with Holley 150A alternator, PS pump and AC compressor
Griffin 3 core radiator
Modern Challenger dual electric fans
Modified fuel tank - adding an in-tank fuel pump with a baffle
3/8 feed and return fuel lines with -6 AN soft lines (Fragola series 8000 push lock)

TKX 5 speed trans (kit from Silver Sport)
Silver Sport bell housing
Silver Sport hydraulic TB/clutch
Silver Sport clutch, PP and flywheel
Silver Sport trans cross member
Forward shifter location and will use the 71 mid length pistol grip

8 3/4 rear end (stock) with 3.55 SG
Modified rear springs with poly bushing in the front, solid on the rear
Firm feel adjustable front left hanger
Slider rear leaf supports (replace the shackles)
Hellweg rear sway bar
QA1 single adjustable shocks
Assassin traction bars
Rear disc brakes (have Wilwood but might go a different direction)
Wheel Vintiques black series 63 wheels with 295 tires (not sure which yet) with Dodge hubcaps

Modified stock K frame (welded with PS box bracing)
Firm feel front suspension components
Borgeson PS box
Hellweg front sway bar
QA1 single adjustable shocks
Firm Feel 1 1.4 torsion bars
Modified lower control arms
QA1 tubular upper control arms
Front disc brakes (have the Wilwood system but might change direction)
Mopar 15x8 steel wheels (not sure the tire size yet) with Dodge hubcaps

Brake MC will be a Mopar unit
Building a hydroboost system
Hella headlights
Stock side and turn lights
First place auto front and rear spoilers
AMD air grabber hood
USCT subframe connectors and torque boxes
Homemade under fender braces and perhaps radiator core support
Stock front bumper and grille
Stock rear bumper and taillights (the non RT kind)
Ron Francis wiring harness (not sure if I am going use this or not)

Black interior
PROCAR seats (maybe, I have them but need to see them mocked up)
Mopar buddy seat
Stock glass (roll up windows)
Mopar tilt wheel (I have 2 and will try and get one to work)
Stock rear seat
Legendary door panels
ABC dash pad
Stock instrument cluster with tach (or Dakota Digital if they come out with one)
Classic auto UA-740 stereo
Kicker subwoofer
Kicker amp
6x9 rear speakers (TBD)
Dual 3.5 front speakers (TBD)
Vintage Air AC system
Stock rear window defrost system
Black sound deadener throughout entire car
Semi auto antenna

The exterior will remain pretty much stock with 1 red fender and such but we will see.

I am sure this is far more than anyone wants to read but hey, now its out there.
:lol:
Is the Holley AC compressor you are using a stock gen 3 type with the two wire plugs with two wires each, or is it like the vintage air compressor with a single wire? I’m mocking up my wiring now and am not sure yet about how to wire the stock compressor with the vintage air setup.

Is the Holley AC compressor you are using a stock gen 3 type with the two wire plugs with two wires each, or is it like the vintage air compressor with a single wire? I’m mocking up my wiring now and am not sure yet about how to wire the stock compressor with the vintage air setup.
I don't know if it is a stock type as I do not have one to compare it to. I can look at the wiring and see what it requires to be hooked up.

No worries. Just trying to save myself some hold time when I call them tomorrow. Figured I’d check with you first. I can fill you all in with the results if you wants.

No worries. Just trying to save myself some hold time when I call them tomorrow. Figured I’d check with you first. I can fill you all in with the results if you wants.
I'd appreciate it. I haven't really looked at the wiring side of anything yet. To be honest I am procrastinating on this built at the moment but I will get into it soon.

Happy New Year Mike!
The Charger is looking good.
The Barracuda should be going into my painter next week, finally. Been waiting over a year.
Cool build, I'll be following this one.

Happy New Year Mike!
The Charger is looking good.
The Barracuda should be going into my painter next week, finally. Been waiting over a year.
Cool build, I'll be following this one.
Randy, Happy New Year to you.
I thought your Barracuda was already painted... Damn!!! Every time I think about working on my 68 I think of your car.
The Charger is set to be built, I have almost all of the parts to do the car, I just have to get off my *** and do it, I am currently working on my 85 MR2... LOL I am rebuilding the front suspension but like all of my projects it took on a life of its own...

Yeah the smell is an issue to a degree but its fading away now. Initially I didn't like the way the bed liner looked, especially in the pictures but its dimmed a bit and now looks ok. I have a number of cans of the bed liner to hit spots I missed or purposely skipped over.

I am gathering parts for the fuel and brake systems now, I intend to bend and install the hard lines with the car on the rotisserie

Here is the tank I am using, since there is only one manufacturer of an EFI tank for a 71 B body (Aeromotive @ $700) I have decided to build my own system. I am using this SS tank and a Fitech 340 pump.

IMG_6798.jpg

IMG_6799.jpg

Here is the tank I am using, since there is only one manufacturer of an EFI tank for a 71 B body (Aeromotive @ $700) I have decided to build my own system. I am using this SS tank and a Fitech 340 pump.

View attachment 1419580

View attachment 1419581

View attachment 1419580

View attachment 1419581
The Aeromotive tank was what I used for my sniper and the tank fits good and I put a meter match in to dial in the sending unit and the gauge. I didn’t want to have to cut into a new tank because I am not confident enough in my skills in that area.
Looks like you are having fun.

I like the Aeromotive tank but I save $200 by going the way I am however I have to do the work of installing the pump. The other reason I decided to do it this way was because I like component systems so if my pump goes I can just replace that, same with my fuel sender. Not saying you cannot do that with Aeromotive bc I don't really know.

To be honest and in retrospect the Aeromotive tank is probably a better way to go bc it is integrated and has a baffled tank whereas I do not. I will have to build a baffle inside my tank which will be basically a small "bucket" which the fuel pick up sock will lay.

I like the Aeromotive tank but I save $200 by going the way I am however I have to do the work of installing the pump. The other reason I decided to do it this way was because I like component systems so if my pump goes I can just replace that, same with my fuel sender. Not saying you cannot do that with Aeromotive bc I don't really know.

To be honest and in retrospect the Aeromotive tank is probably a better way to go bc it is integrated and has a baffled tank whereas I do not. I will have to build a baffle inside my tank which will be basically a small "bucket" which the fuel pick up sock will lay.
All of your points were considered and I can say that the pump is easy to change. Mine went out under warranty and they shipped new pump and sending unit out asap, no hassles. Even I could manage to do the swap. Instructions were good. And I didn’t have to cut open anything to make a hole so it was worth it when I added things up.

7E1DB780-3EC5-4038-8113-DB7A7A1D114F.jpeg

05BDA2A1-5023-4808-B542-C2342960626B.jpeg

A47F1D69-1C23-41A2-8211-F6C5F4D7E095.jpeg

4C6213BB-9A2C-4DFF-8212-58CF5614E9A0.jpeg

447A9781-6046-4FDF-A283-BAC800BFD46B.jpeg

1228E28E-5E35-4B87-AF02-A15BB8C2815F.jpeg

9CC30DF1-80C6-4305-A8FB-0537E7A1C431.jpeg

5B2F1241-DCEB-4428-9B14-916E02BC61FB.jpeg

I've had a walbro 255 hanging on the frame rail for my efi turbo 383 since 2009, you're doing more than enough

I received the wrench that allows me to take the big square nut off the Hydroboost unit. Now I can begin to get this side of things moving. I need to mock up the brake assembly/system so that I know where my lines are going to be, specifically I need to know where the long line running to the rear brakes is going to need to be in the engine compartment. I still need a proportioning valve and I am thinking I am just going to use an adjustable Wilwood one to make it simple.

The bag contains banjo fittings for the HB unit that will then take -6 line/ends.

IMG_6806.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_6808.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back