• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 GTX Build

Thought I read somewhere here about Lokar's cable set-up that some people didn't like...IDK. Not sure what the kick down is on my car now. The guy who rebuilt my tranny and rear-end got it for me

It doesn't matter what product comes on the market, there will always be someone who doesn't like the setup. I read reviews as well, but I do it subjectively and then decide if it's worth the gamble. Since I am not running a stock engine, heads, etc., I need a workaround that fits my car. I think this solution is worth a try. I know HotRod magazine talks up anything they are paid to, but this article I found useful when looking for a solution.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-lowdown-on-stock-torqueflite-kick-down-linkage/

Hope this helps.

Craig

Thanks Craig. Nothing "normal/stock" about my engine as well (soon post pix on my resto). Sucks that I'm not home to test fit things right now

Crahill, you might have issues with that intake set-up as far as sitting up too high. It sure looks nice though, might have to go with an RPM intake. Is that a Quick Fuel carb?

The carb is made by ProForm, which I believe is either owned or uses some of the same components as Quick Fuel. Since the patent expired on Holley, everybody is making a carb it seems today. I went with this because it's easy to adjust vs changing jets and what not. I know it's not American Made, but most everything we get for our cars these days are outsourced to China :(

Been awhile since my last update, but it took me awhile to pay down some of the debt on the car before I could start back up. Engine is on the dyno now and will get tuned after the shop owner gets back from vacation. Ordered another round of parts including the Ron Francis wiring, Serpentine System, AMD front bumper, restored steering column, power steering shaft adapter, Restored A/C Heater Box assembly (first one destroyed by UPS), and some other parts. I have all the exterior trim pieces now except the rocker panel mouldings. I am hoping to see the car on the road or at least driveable in the next couple months. Here is a pic of the motor on the dyno - the intake is being swapped out to a Performer RPM.

19620871_10213585074846950_4991438925557197857_o.jpg

Been awhile since I have updated this thread. I relocated for work to Florida and haven't had much time or $$$ until I got caught up. However, some progress has been made and the engine is bolted in the GTX and Serpentine System from CVF installed.

GTX-Engine4.jpg
GTX-Engine5.jpg

Love the anodized black - looks slick!

Craig

The car is looking awesome! What size wheels and tires are you using? They seem to fill the wheel wells nicely.

I like the black on the brackets. Did it make it to the dyno?

The car is looking awesome! What size wheels and tires are you using? They seem to fill the wheel wells nicely.

295/45R18 in the back & 245/45R17 in the front - 3 inch lowering blocks in the back to compensate with the Mopar SS Springs. Still debating on dropping a little more in the back, but will wait and see as the car gets closer to completion.

Thanks,

Craig

295/45R18 in the back & 245/45R17 in the front - 3 inch lowering blocks in the back to compensate with the Mopar SS Springs. Still debating on dropping a little more in the back, but will wait and see as the car gets closer to completion.

Thanks,

Craig
Are the back wheels 8 or 8.5 inches wide?

Lots of torque there, should be fun to drive!

It doesn't matter what product comes on the market, there will always be someone who doesn't like the setup. I read reviews as well, but I do it subjectively and then decide if it's worth the gamble. Since I am not running a stock engine, heads, etc., I need a workaround that fits my car. I think this solution is worth a try. I know HotRod magazine talks up anything they are paid to, but this article I found useful when looking for a solution.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-lowdown-on-stock-torqueflite-kick-down-linkage/

Hope this helps.

Craig

I'll chime in here. I couldn't get the stock setup to work with my performer RPM and FAST EFi. I saw this article, and made the switch to the lokar cable and lokar gas pedal, and HOLY DAMN!!!! The trans works now. it's completely different. everything woke up, the trans hooks up, and all i can think is that I had the thinking all wrong with the factory linkages. if anyone's doing a factory resto and needs the linkages, PM me with an offer. They were on a '71 440 GTX.

sjd

A little more progress. Had to source a few parts that have stalled the build, but finally back on track. I have to say that Kim from Passion4Mopars did an outstanding job on the wiper motor rebuild - very impressive.

image7.JPG
image8.JPG
image4.JPG
image3.JPG
image5.JPG

Craig

Awesome love your build, nice numbers for a street car indeed! :)
She is a beauty!

A few updates. Transmission installed, wiring almost complete, and Dash cluster is soon to be installed. Depending on the funds, the car may actually be running in a few weeks.

Craig

IMG_2943.jpg
IMG_2945.jpg
imagejpeg_0.jpg
IMG_2955.jpg
IMG_2942.jpg
IMG_2952.jpg
IMG_2941.jpg

Crahill, looking good! Just an observation on that MP air cleaner is you might need to install a drop base for it because it might interfere with the hood. I have the same and did that with mine

Crahill, looking good! Just an observation on that MP air cleaner is you might need to install a drop base for it because it might interfere with the hood. I have the same and did that with mine

Yeah the builder ordered those before I told him about the hood clearance issues :(

Yeah the builder ordered those before I told him about the hood clearance issues :(

Got a drop base from Mancini. The drop base clears the linkage and my auto choke

Auto Transport Service
Back