• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 ROAD RUNNER Misfire at high rpm Now NO START

Local time
9:13 AM
Reaction score
This rr 383, has ahd a problem i cant seem to track down, it would stall, puke when given any kind of throttle. put on lab scope today it seems as there is no rise in voltage when throttle is added. This is the longest i have ran the car. Now it wont start. 2 plug wires popped off while running now no . start. Coil is SMOKING hot!!! Voltage at ballast is 10.6 volts,battery 12.6, other side of ballast is 3.6 volts, volts at coil 3.6. with key on engine off. has orange box, msd blaster coil, 2 ohm ballast, witcvh i just checked 2 ohms. HMMM..can anybody help me make sense of this...12 at battery, 10.6 at ballast????thanks BTW Just pulled coil wire off very weak/no spark...Thanks

10.6 at entry to bulkhead i would say your losing it at your starter relay or you need to clean your + battery terminal and clamp. 10.6 out of bulkhead but 12 in make a 4" 10ga. jumper with ring terminals on each end and jump the two terminals of your am meter then test your voltage out at the bulkhead

if you have 12 in at bulkhead and 12 out to alt at bulkhead but only the 10.6 out from ign on to ballast your problem is in your ignition switch

Last edited:
Cool ,thanks for reply, will check. ..also noticed on ossilliscope, there is no voltage rise with throttle, should expect to see 30-40k volts on secondary ignition,,doesn't rise above 10k. Do you think its related to low voltage condition. ? Thanks

Alternator is kicking 14 when running. Changed pickup coil in distributor with a "standard " pickup coil made a improvement, however noticed that pickup does not match up with reluctor correctly, 1/4 of pickup part is not getting sweeped by reluctantly. Hmmmmm

more than likely its a bad or weak coil or coil wire and ignition wires. been working on mopars since 1965

Start with all stock new parts, the engineers designed the car with reliability in mind, don't try to change what they have already experimented with. I had over 100,000 miles on the original ignition module, resistor, voltage regulator, coil, wiring and distributor before I started to change them. keep it original. change to an orange box if you like that's it.
you most likely will ever have to change them again due to low miles per year. Start from scratch and keep it original.

Alternator is kicking 14 when running. Changed pickup coil in distributor with a "standard " pickup coil made a improvement, however noticed that pickup does not match up with reluctor correctly, 1/4 of pickup part is not getting sweeped by reluctantly. Hmmmmm

I would use your old reliable ballast.......

Just try 12 volts from the battery to the ignition side of the ballast and see how it runs. for now to test. Hot wire ballast direct from the battery. Also check the brown wire from the back of the key switch. That is your 12 volt in to your box. Make sure that it is battery voltage. Over 12 volts.

Last edited:
6 years ago, and still misfiring. I would suggest pulling out the 383 and replacing it with a stroker, just to be on the safe side of getting this problem sorted.:)

start with the coil I believe that is your problem

- - - Updated - - -

either that or your alternator

Auto Transport Service
Back