• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Road Runner Restoration Started

Pedestrian comments here. I have lots less skill than this builder. First, God Bless John Herlitz for coming up with a design and face that we lust over after 40 plus years. As a 4 speed (now TKO 5) owner with buckets, I sometimes wish I could slide into a bench seat, grab the column selector and stab it. My car gets driven over 7 thousand miles a year. The A833-18 went to Australia. The 11" Hemi Drums were redone with the Praisdyno kit. Stronger springs, blended material for the shoes. Adequate for my needs. Someday I will own a 71 Roadrunner. Keep us posted. That's all. Oh, 440. Opinions are like, well you know. Everyone has one.

Possibly the makings for a viewer pole?????

Thanks for the reply. It's good to see things from the other side. I can understand the desire to have a bench seat and auto if you drive it a lot. I used to have a Dakota that had a stick and I drove it everywhere all of the time. And yes sometimes it got old shifting gears all the time. But nothing beats slamming gears and hearing the sound of atmosphere being drawn into a big cube engine. If I had planned on driving the car a lot and putting some serious miles on her each year, or drag racing on a regular basis, I would definitely go with the auto. But her street time will be limited to good weather and off days. I just like the looks of buckets and the feel of a high powered car with a stick. Back in the day I ran a Challenger with 4.88 gears, slicks, and a 4 speed. It was a blast from light to light, but not much else.
thanks again for the reply.

Very nice work with the Duster and Challenger!! Cant wait to see more of what you can do. Good luck!

Real nice! Good luck with the resto on your bird. Looks like a great project. I would lean toward the 440 + 6 as well, but that's just me.

X2 me too

- - - Updated - - -

nice cars you've done also, good luck with the 71 RR

Follow up on post

:hello2:Thanks again for the compliments. I apologize for not getting any pictures posted yesterday of the car.
My work schedule is screwy this week, so hopefully by Friday I can post some good photos of some new parts (and choice used ones) that I have gathered for the project so far. Then I'll start the disassembly process and take pictures every step of the way and post the good ones with a description.
Hopefully it will not be too long and the blasting process will start.

For now here are a few pictures of the original dash parts that were cut up for an aftermarket radio. I was lucky to score some nice original replacement parts locally.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,139
Just saw this thread. Don't know how I missed it. The challenger and duster look great and can't wait to see the RR turn out just as well if not better.

Thanks !! Please stay tuned.... I'm loading some pictures in a few minutes. Thanks !!!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0642.jpgIMG_1089.jpgIMG_1415.jpgIMG_1576.jpgIMG_1878.jpgIMG_3033.jpgIMG_3203.jpgIMG_3821.jpgIMG_3858.jpgIMG_4209.jpgIMG_4453.jpgIMG_4886.jpgIMG_5856.jpgIMG_4886.jpgIMG_7050.jpgIMG_7876.jpg

Hello again. Sorry it took me a while to get the pictures on here. My normal work schedule has been hectic and no time for the car :angry1:

These pictures show the new "Road Runner" emblems, and decals that are still available from Chrysler. I zoomed in close so you all can get the part numbers if you need them for your car. The running bird decals are reflective 3M just like the originals were.

The side marker light pictures also show the original bezels from the car after I glass beaded them and straightened them up a little. They look pretty nice now, and I can't wait until they are B-5 blue !!!

The close up of the package that has the part number P5007737AC is the box that the new six barrel air grabber / ramcharger air cleaner came in. Up until just a few weeks ago they have been on National Back order. They have recently released a new batch, so if you want one, now is the time to grab one up.

Inside the "mopar" parts bag is a little package with the part number P5249609 on it. It contains a set of torsion bar lock rings and seals.

Everything I am putting in the car will be new licensed reproduction, NOS, or very good original parts after I have reconditioned them. I will list part numbers along the way so we can all benefit from this.

Stand by for some more photos and descriptions....

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1534.jpgIMG_1729.jpgIMG_2638.jpgIMG_3991.jpgIMG_4157.jpgIMG_6195.jpgIMG_7627.jpgIMG_8597.jpgIMG_8960.jpg

These pictures show the new six barrel air cleaner assembly minus the element which was supposed to be included with the part, but is still on back order. Luckily for me, my Dodge dealership buddies are taking care of me and are trying their best to get me one.

There is a picture of the new air grabber door pins and new tail light lenses.

You can see the over center spring that I had left over from a Challenger restoration. I glass beaded it and sprayed it to look like natural metal. Sorry it came out a little blurry.

And finally you can see the 440 source aluminum Stealth heads. That's just a little teaser of what's to come!!!

The next set should show the six pack set up and some other stuff.

I have to work tomorrow so no new pictures until possibly Sunday or even Monday. But I will try my best to reply........

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0625.jpgIMG_2316.jpgIMG_2714.jpgIMG_5375.jpgIMG_7440.jpg

Here are a few more pictures before I call it a night. The heater blower switch is NOS and the Plymouth header panel "Arrow" is a pretty nice original. I may send it out for a re chrome.

The spring is for the air grabber assembly.

Finally, the chrome clips are for the body side belt vinyl top moldings. 3 clips go on each side. The chrome runs horizontal from the edge of the rear side glass and goes back towards the lower rear corners of the back window, where they attach to the "L" shaped corner trim parts. This car had a full vinyl top in black, and I was able to get a set of new clips and locate the missing chrome, so when it's done, it will look like it did originally.

You all have a good night.

Looks like Christmas came early at your house - a lot of very nice parts & pieces. That's going to be one awesome looking car.

Thanks for the complements. I was very lucky with Christmas coming early!!!

Hopefully tomorrow I can post some more photos of the six pack set up.

Soon I plan on posting some more car pics.... I will document the disassembly process next.

thanks again !!!

Thanks for the reply. It's good to see things from the other side. I can understand the desire to have a bench seat and auto if you drive it a lot. I used to have a Dakota that had a stick and I drove it everywhere all of the time. And yes sometimes it got old shifting gears all the time. But nothing beats slamming gears and hearing the sound of atmosphere being drawn into a big cube engine. If I had planned on driving the car a lot and putting some serious miles on her each year, or drag racing on a regular basis, I would definitely go with the auto. But her street time will be limited to good weather and off days. I just like the looks of buckets and the feel of a high powered car with a stick. Back in the day I ran a Challenger with 4.88 gears, slicks, and a 4 speed. It was a blast from light to light, but not much else.
thanks again for the reply.

So have you made up your mind on buckets or bench and auto or 4 speed?

If you decide to keep the bench I'd still consider the 4 or 5 speed route. I drove my Dad's old 96 Dodge Split bench seat pick up with a manual 5 speed to work for about two years recently and loved it. My first car was 4 speed 70 RR with buckets and second that I had at the same time was a 68 RR with Bench and 4 speed .. I love shifting gears and like both the buckets and the bench's from a driver feel and comfort standpoint. Having the girlfriend being able to slide over on the bench was nice back in the day and would be cool today with the wife also :)

Retired the old dodge truck to daily drive and get some use of the 99 Durango this past year .. miss the 5 speed though. I can see where it would be pain in extensive stop and go traffic in a city though.

Going with buckets, a console and a factory 4 speed simply because I already have 2 fresh rebuilt ones. One is for my 70 Lime green Challenger and the extra one for the RR.

I like the pistol grips. It's probably the coolest looking shifter ever put in a car.

Buckets are more comfortable to me. And your less likely to slide over in the seat if you take a corner hard.

I am glad I found your thread. I am looking forward to seeing more progress.

I am glad I found your thread. I am looking forward to seeing more progress.

Thanks!! Keep checking back for more progress. I plan on taking a lot of pictures and posting them fairly often along the way. I will also try to describe what's happening and why, so the thread can possibly help someone else with their project along the way. Please feel free to ask any questions. I will also try to include part numbers as well.

Thanks again!!

It's nice to look at new parts. Makes the final outcome that much better.

Motivators

It's nice to look at new parts. Makes the final outcome that much better.

When I start getting burned out, which occasionally happens, I stop and take the time to look at the progress I have made. Then I pull out some of the new parts or things I have restored that are ready to go into the car. It gives me a new boost of energy. Sometimes that's all it takes. We all hit walls from time to time. Pictures of the progress made works too. It inspires you to drive on and complete the mission.

Speaking of John Herlitz a friend and Mopar collecter owns John's 1971 GTX 440 he had built for himself when he worked at Chrysler. He still has the original Michigan title with John's name on it. He bought the car from John's widow a number of years ago. It is triple black with silver 440 hood callouts and is in perfect condition.

Ben

Speaking of John Herlitz a friend and Mopar collecter owns John's 1971 GTX 440 he had built for himself when he worked at Chrysler. He still has the original Michigan title with John's name on it. He bought the car from John's widow a number of years ago. It is triple black with silver 440 hood callouts and is in perfect condition.

Ben

Do you have access to pics of said car?

Ben
Kirk Herlitz (John's son) lives in the SF Bay area. We met with him last year. The stories! He has his Dads Viper. He told us that whenever he smells clay, it reminds him of trips to the design studio with his Dad. Can you imagine? Wow. The stuff of Legends.

Also, for perspective, afetr 40 plus years, the 70 'Cuda and 71 Roadrunner are admired. Timeless. No Computer design. All it takes is skill and vision. And the ability to get the job done.

Auto Transport Service
Back