• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 steering column adapter issue.

71 bird

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
I recently bought a floor shift steering column for my road runner to replace the broken column shift one that was in the car since i purchased it. Transfered everything to the new column and installed it into the car with no issues. That is until i tried to reinstall the wheel adapter back onto the shaft. It will not go more than halfway down the splines. I have made sure i lined them up with the master spline and cleaned everything free of debris. But it will only get to about 2/3 of the way down on the shaft. It was removed from the old column and now it wont go back on that one like it was either. No visible damage to the splines. Any help woulf be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Here are 2 pics to help out

1483214528343-990057392.jpg 14832146526611936112899.jpg

It will not go any further down with out what feels like potential internal damage.

you could try to run a small rat tail file up and down the threads on the can
and try to clean up all the threads real good inside and out
it sounds like it might be damaged not letting it seat all the way down.
seeing that it won't go back onto the old column or the new one
either that or try another can..

I recently bought a floor shift steering column for my road runner to replace the broken column shift one that was in the car since i purchased it. Transfered everything to the new column and installed it into the car with no issues. That is until i tried to reinstall the wheel adapter back onto the shaft. It will not go more than halfway down the splines. I have made sure i lined them up with the master spline and cleaned everything free of debris. But it will only get to about 2/3 of the way down on the shaft. It was removed from the old column and now it wont go back on that one like it was either. No visible damage to the splines. Any help woulf be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Has the shaft got one master spline or two? They may not be the same size. If it came off it will go back on. Do not force it.

you could try to run a small rat tail file up and down the threads on the can
and try to clean up all the threads real good inside and out
it sounds like it might be damaged not letting it seat all the way down.
seeing that it won't go back onto the old column or the new one
either that or try another can..
Think he is trying to still put the can on the shaft. The can is splined with a retaining nut. If he can not get the can to slide down the splines the nut can not be installed.

i should of said splines instead of theads..lol
i would wire wheel the shaft splines as clean as i could and inspect them closely
and then run a file on the inside splines, maybe even steel wool on it.
there could be a burr there or even rust build up holding him up.
at worst case it might of been gorilla-ed off at one time and the can distorted
hard to know without it in your face.

Have you tried pressing it on with the nut? I may be off here but it shouldn't go all the way on by hand since it's a press type fit.

Have you tried pressing it on with the nut? I may be off here but it shouldn't go all the way on by hand since it's a press type fit.
It did not look like there are any threads sticking threw to put a nut on. This is one place where brute force is not the answer and will only create a bigger mess.

It should slide on and off better then that . Take the column apart and double check time is free broken parts arnt!

Could it be a truck can?

They do not have a master spline but will work if creatively modified.

I'm pretty sure they only slip on about 2/3 of the way and are seated the rest of the way with the nut.

IIRC you should get about 2 turns on the nut before it starts to press the can onto the shaft.

...and you dont want to use a rat tail, you want a knife edge jeweler's file.

hey everyone, thanks for the help. I will try to clarify some more details. yes the problem is from the adapter/can not mounting all the way on the cabin side of the steering shaft. also i am matching the master spline up every time. the splines are good and straight. i cant see any reason why its getting hooked up on the mechanisms inside the collar. it just goes on with the nut about 2/3 of the way down and comes to an abrupt halt. I bought the car with that part and judging by past experience its probably a bad repop part. thanks for all the help just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

ahh ha its a repop
say no more..
good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back