• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Auto Trans Shift point question on a 70 RR

soundhd

Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
Have a 70 RR with a 727 trans I recently bought late last year. Transmission seems to shift into second & third really quickly......If I start from a traffic light say at a 3 lane intersection (two traffic lanes and a left turn lane) by the time I get across the intersection the trans has already shifted into 3rd gear. Is that normal? Should I change it? If so how is that done?

thanks

Here's a pic of the shift points from the '70 Plymouth FSM.

shift.jpg

Your mileage may vary, depending on whether someone has put a shift kit in and what your gear ratio is. The B&M kit will raise shift points as much as 50% under light throttle (depending on how much you grind off the throttle valve). Other kits do the same. Seems like you're in the ballpark though. If you want to raise the shift points, call up A&A transmission for a governor or shift kit.

With my tweaked B&M install, I originally got 1-2 at ~15-20 mph and 2-3 at 25-30 mph (closed throttle). I've since turned that down a bit, but I'm still not 100% happy with it.

I took mine to a trustworthy trans guy for the same problem. He also said that the governor was the problem. Apparently as the trans starts to wear, it allows junk to gunk up the governor which causes that shift problem. Problem with just changing the governor is that the underlying problem is still there. His recommendation: Drive it till it really bugs you, then rebuild the trans - and shift it manually in the meantime if you wanna go fast!

if the kickdown rod isn't adjusted properly early shifts or late shifts may occur.

Auto Transport Service
Back