• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Leakage

'73bird

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
So my 727 leaks on and off. Like it didn't leak for a long while then I jacked it up to do some work and it started leaking, put it down on all 4 tires and no leaks, replaced the fluid that leaked out and it leaked, I refilled it and drove it then parked it after a few days it started to leak again. Is there anywhere that a 727 is notorious for leaking from? I cant really tell where the leak is coming from as the total oil pan, transmission pan, and transmission are just covered with grime and dirt and till I can get it to run right enough for me to drive it to the car wash so I can power wash the bottom of it and get a good look.

Did you only jack it up on the rear and thats when you noticed the leak? If you jacked it up too high from the rear it can leak out of the vent hole behind the converter.

They can leak in many areas but the key areas are, dipstick tube seal, pan, front seal, and tailshaft seal....just wipe it clean and inspect everything. I bet if you take off the inspections cover you may have some fluid in there...

Did you only jack it up on the rear and thats when you noticed the leak? If you jacked it up too high from the rear it can leak out of the vent hole behind the converter.

They can leak in many areas but the key areas are, dipstick tube seal, pan, front seal, and tailshaft seal....just wipe it clean and inspect everything. I bet if you take off the inspections cover you may have some fluid in there...

It seems to be coming from the driver's side of the transmission. I jacked it up from the passenger side front behind the tire

Have to remove pan and valve body to replace the shaft seal....

Check the fittings as well prior to jumping into that.....

Selector shaft seal.
Mine was leaking there too, took 15 mins to change out while the trans was still in the car. The hardest part was laying on the floor.
Step 1-1.jpg
Step 2.jpg
Step 3.jpg
Step 4.jpg
Step 5.jpg

Use this tool.

Seal removal tool.jpg

You're correct, you've got to get it clean first. Stop by the parts store and get a few cans of brake parts cleaner before you go to the car wash. You might have to do it several times if it's real dirty.

on my Dad's GTX, the valve body had a groove from wear in the area where the seal was. I guess from the seal hardening up over the years, it wore into the valve body. They do make a repair seal which is an o ring design vs. the angled seal with the spring inside it.

IMG_0011-1.jpg

With the trans in the car looks like the only way to go. I replaced my seals when I dropped the valve body to put in a shift kit. The trans was still in the car. I just knocked the seal out from the inside.

Auto Transport Service
Back