• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 TCI Streetfighter question

Pics

86EEF896-480D-4A0F-8D18-230805662343.jpeg 2A365D02-56C6-4B33-9CF2-FD9AA70F8FA9.jpeg 4A6C1197-8C00-4381-B4AD-66DCCC54A768.jpeg 177BBE53-4CE8-4FC0-8A26-6438581B40E7.jpeg FCB30F5D-B2ED-46E1-A38E-B932C64ECFE3.jpeg 31460154-928D-47BC-8355-05F90CCEB3B9.jpeg 1685F8F7-D62E-40BF-B5D7-AE8F5665DDBB.jpeg

Good news! You've got the better wide stator support and wide bushing in the drum. How do the pump rotors look?
Those are teflon seals on the snout, but they are flush-cut. The newer ones are "Scarf-cut" which means they are
cut at an angle and overlap each other. Less leakage. How do the bronze bushings look?

The wide support needs the wide bushing front drum. Properly installed the teflon seals are great. Look at the pump rotors then measure the tip clearance on each. The stock OEM range is excellent.

Good news! You've got the better wide stator support and wide bushing in the drum. How do the pump rotors look?
Those are teflon seals on the snout, but they are flush-cut. The newer ones are "Scarf-cut" which means they are
cut at an angle and overlap each other. Less leakage. How do the bronze bushings look?
Ok cool. Good news for once haha. yeah they don’t look to bad but I think I’m just going to replace them all since I’m in here.

Oo
The wide support needs the wide bushing front drum. Properly installed the teflon seals are great. Look at the pump rotors then measure the tip clearance on each. The stock OEM range is excellent.
no worries. I see that in the service manual. Will give it a crack and see how we go

I will have to get a hold of some smaller feeler gauges to get in there. But it seems pretty good.

4C8F9E2C-0E1C-4BDF-8BBD-2A6527481A54.jpeg

If the rotors aren't all nicked and grooved they will measure fine. Same with the pump housing. The pump and gears have to be pretty beat to cause an issue.
Doug

I'd listen to dvw, sure knows his stuff. But the pic sure looks like a bit of wear.

If the rotors aren't all nicked and grooved they will measure fine. Same with the pump housing. The pump and gears have to be pretty beat to cause an issue.
Doug
Measured it all up. All well within spec.

In my years building 727's, I think I've needed to replace one set of pump rotors that had a lot of damage, nicks/gouges. Maybe a couple of pump housings that had wear that concerned me. Even the 727's when I broke the convertor didn't really affect the pump. The valve body may be another issue though. I'd be looking for a new valve body to match your application.

Is the input shaft
In my years building 727's, I think I've needed to replace one set of pump rotors that had a lot of damage, nicks/gouges. Maybe a couple of pump housings that had wear that concerned me. Even the 727's when I broke the convertor didn't really affect the pump. The valve body may be another issue though. I'd be looking for a new valve body to match your application.
yeah me to. I’ve tried to contact CRT so I will wait for his response.

What type of spring do you have in it? There are two types. One is the later spring and it's stiffer.
I'll post some pic's of both.
20220601_152956.jpg

This is the preferred stiffer bellvue spring. Yes, there is a little play in the retainer because of factory tolerances. You can tighten it up by replacing the piston with a Billet unit from John Cope. There are two different heights to work with. I believe they are 0.850 and 0.875. Go to youtube and watch John Cope's video on this!

Last edited:
What type of spring do you have in it? There are two types. One is the later spring and it's stiffer.
I'll post some pic's of both.View attachment 1292734
This is the preferred stiffer bellvue spring. Yes, there is a little play in the retainer because of factory tolerances. You can tighten it up by replacing the piston with a Billet unit from John Cope. There are two different heights to work with. I believe they are 0.850 and 0.875. Go to youtube and watch John Cope's video on this!
sweet i will check his video out today. i believe it does look like that but i will double check

That is a very interesting, informative vid. In all my builds I've had the early style spring with up to '78 727' cores. I keep my rear clutch packs together and don't mix them.

Last edited:
That is a very interesting, informative vid. In all my builds I've had the early style spring with up to '78 727' cores. I keep my rear clutch packs together and don't mix them.
Spoke to John this morning. Pretty keen on his stuff now. One thing I did notice on the input shaft is where the 20mm wide bushing in the drum sits, it appears the shaft is only 15mm.it’s wider but the bushing has only been wearing on 15mm due to the step. Is that a mismatch? New shaft?

6BDA7A55-7E07-4979-A8AB-09F445ACA853.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back