• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 transmission filler tube leak

Rck68

Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
hi guys,

This might be a dumb question but how do you fix a transmission filler tube leak?

I saw the gasket at the transmission insertion where the tube attaches is busted, and I’m leaking Quarts of fluid all over my garage.

Does the tube just pull right out? I didn’t want to just rip it out without asking first!

Thanks all!

Rob K

Here is a pic of the problem.

38C03744-543B-42F2-B3DD-A10AB762F2F0.png

Drain the pan.
Remove the bolt that holds the filler tube onto the housing.
Replace the O ring (or seal if it's an aftermarket tube) on the bottom of the filler tube.

Last edited:
It looks like you're using an aftermarket tube? I just removed my original that I installed a tapered metal end that inserted into a rubber boot. I never could get it to stop leaking. I ordered a new replacement tube and stick assembly from Mancini, lubed the o-ring before installing and so far not a drop of a leak. Sometimes the way it was designed to work from new is the way to go.

Thank you guys for the reply, so it just pulls right out? There’s no threads or a twist needed to unthread?

What do u use to lube the seal with?

Thank you guys for the reply, so it just pulls right out? There’s no threads or a twist needed to unthread?

I use ATF or assembly lube, basically almost any lube will work.
Mike

Yes it should just pull out. Depending on how much fluid you lost already, if you just pull the tube there may be more than a quart that will drain out of the tube hole. Have a large pan under it. Once it stops draining remove all residual material from the hole before reinserting the tube. You can either use some atf or a light coat of petroleum jelly on the o-ring to reinstall.

Yes it should just pull out. Depending on how much fluid you lost already, if you just pull the tube there may be more than a quart that will drain out of the tube hole. Have a large pan under it. Once it stops draining remove all residual material from the hole before reinserting the tube. You can either use some atf or a light coat of petroleum jelly on the o-ring to reinstall.
Thank you so much!

If you jack up the car from the right front the fluid will shift to the left rear..... You probably won't loose any fluid....

Personally I like and use the aftermarket filler tubes... They seal very well when installed properly... If you don't do it right the seal gets distorted & tears....

The aftermarket design seal is a standard part for a GM Turbo 350.... You install the seal in the trans case first then lube the tube & slide it in....

If you put the seal on the tube then try to install it in the trans your gonna have problems...

If you jack up the car from the right front the fluid will shift to the left rear..... You probably won't loose any fluid....

Personally I like and use the aftermarket filler tubes... They seal very well when installed properly... If you don't do it right the seal gets distorted & tears....

The aftermarket design seal is a standard part for a GM Turbo 350.... You install the seal in the trans case first then lube the tube & slide it in....

If you put the seal on the tube then try to install it in the trans your gonna have problems...
Perfect thank you!

A '68 might still have a tab and bolt at the bottom of the tube, later doesn't have the tab.

Tube ends.jpg

A '68 might still have a tab and bolt at the bottom of the tube, later doesn't have the tab.

View attachment 968657
Might be a transition year. My numbers matching 727 didn't have the lower bracket (just the bellhousing strap) but has the threaded hole in the case to mount one.

Sometimes the bracket to the bellhousing is bent and won't allow the tube to seat properly. So seat it properly then bend the bracket to keep it there.

Auto Transport Service
Back