• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Wont go into park

68HAVOK

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
My 727 wont go into park. Just wanna ask what things I should check. I'm thinking the shifter cable is toast. Best ways to know if thats the case? Gonna check today but wanted to ask if there were any other things that it could be. Thanks all.

Place the trans in park. Pop the shift cable off at the trans. Does the lever move and now the cable wont drop in? It's the cable or adjustment. If the cable gets melted it will bind.
Doug

Thanks Doug, it was the cable. Melted and popped out of the sleeve. See pic. It was routed way to close to one of the headers. Installed a new one and it works great now. Also wrapped it with some high temp tape to ensure it doesn't happen again.

20161029_174001.jpg 20161029_140642.jpg

I use a fire sleeve on my cable now. Mine wasn't even close to the headers and it melted.

Years ago I saw a shifter cable fried when a Camaro lost its engine ground and tried to find a new ground thru trans& shifter. A word to the wise.

Auto Transport Service
Back