• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 Cordoba dying at operating temp... help?

weatherman

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here. I hope this is the right place to post this...
My 76 Cordoba, which I've painstakingly wrenched back into running order, is sputtering out and dying when it reaches operating temperature.

It starts and runs like a charm when it's cold, but once the temp guage reaches halfway, begins to sputter, will rev but not accelerate, and dies.

I've installed an edelbrock 4-barrel performer carb, could this be a carb issue? help!

Hi weatherman, welcome.

Yes, it could be a carb issue, but there are other things to consider as well. First of all, which engine is in your car? There were several choices available that year. Does your car have, or used to have a lean burn system? One thing that changes when warming up is the choke opens and the mixture leans out, so I would start investigating that area.

Hi weatherman, welcome.

Yes, it could be a carb issue, but there are other things to consider as well. First of all, which engine is in your car? There were several choices available that year. Does your car have, or used to have a lean burn system? One thing that changes when warming up is the choke opens and the mixture leans out, so I would start investigating that area.

The cordoba has a 360, and was equipped with a lean-burn system which was deleted sometime in the 2000s by the previous owner. I considered a choke issue, but the choke opens fully at temperature.

I'm considering a vacuum leak in the carb or intake? But if it was a vacuum leak, wouldn't I have issues while the engine is cold as well?

Thanks Photon

The choke closing while cold could mask other issues during normal running. Try closing the choke while the engine is hot and running poorly to see if it improves the operation. If the choke is too hard to move because it's hot, partially cover the carb inlet with your hand or clean rag to simulate the choke plate. If there is a vacuum leak, the choke may richen the mixture enough to cover the symptom while cold.

Welcome to the forum. Lot of really knowledgeable folks here.....

Not an expert at all but I seem to recall conversations where the ignition coil would cause this issue. Might be worth a try.

Let us know what solves you problem...

My 76 Cordoba, which I've painstakingly wrenched back into running order, is sputtering out and dying when it reaches operating temperature.

It starts and runs like a charm when it's cold, but once the temp guage reaches halfway, begins to sputter, will rev but not accelerate, and dies.

I've installed an edelbrock 4-barrel performer carb, could this be a carb issue? help!
When you say it will rev but not accel do you mean will rev out of gear but not accel in gear? Also, how does it start after it dies? As for the carb, my new Edelbrock AVS2 1906 worked great right out of the box, just a little tweaking. My buddy's '55 Chevy has the same carb and worked great just as it came, but anything is possible. Also agree with Photon440, cold running with the choke engaged will somewhat mask a vacuum leak. Keep us posted as there are people here WAY smarted than me who may be able to help.

Is the preformer new or used ?
After it warms up and dies, look down the carb and pump it a couple shots and see if your getting fuel.
If you are.... I would stick a coil on it like gold rush posted. Crapping out after warm up is a symptom of a bad coil.
What ever you try just make one change at a time so when you cure it you know what the problem was.
Also, welcome :welcome:

Did you adjust the idle mixture screws?
Try turning all the way in then back them out about 2 - 1/2 turns out each to start.
Then when fully warm slowly adjust the mixture screws for maximum idle speed.
It's pretty common for one screw to have a more noticeable effect than the other.
Use that one as a baseline for how many turns out to set the other one.
It sounds like it is not getting enough fuel after the choke opens.
Do you know where the timing is at?
And yes make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks.

Thanks for all the input everybody, I'll adjust my idle mixture and try fiddling with the choke after work today, if that doesn't work I'll move on to a new coil. I'll post an update here later on.

Great community here, thanks for all the input and for being so friendly, stoked to be here.

Will it start right back up? Or do you have to let it sit. If it has to sit, how long? If it won't start: A: have you tried pouring a little fuel in it? B: have you pulled a plug wire to see if you have spark? Report back after testing.
Doug

I've seen a failing distributor pickup do this.

I would start with checking / monitoring fuel pressure at the carb.
Then start on testing the ignition system / wiring

One easy way to check for a vacuum leak is to spray some start gas around the top of the engine while it is idling. Obviously, you want to avoid spraying any down the carburetor. And yes, the stuff is obviously flammable! Don't spray like mad and start a fire! Do it slowly and in a controlled manner at different points and around different vacuum hoses. If the engine suddenly revs up, then you likely have a vacuum leak.

I've seen a failing distributor pickup do this.

This was my thought as well. My daughters 88 Aries K-car had these symptoms and after much hair pulling and sensor/part replacement it eventually turned out to be the magnetic pick up in the dizzy.

I would think an easy place to start would be to connect a spark tester. If you have spark and it won't run look at the carb and a vacuum leak. If there is no spark, I would start with the coil.

Before doing anything mentioned, hook up a vacuum gauge and observe exactly what the gauge does from the start until the symptom begins. Let us know what you observe, before you go chasing this or that.

Auto Transport Service
Back