• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

78 3602bbl running rough

306Doba

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Hey hope this is the right section.

The motor in my 78 Cordoba has been acting up lately. When coming to a stop the engine will stall out if I dont put it in neutral, also when accelerating from a stop it feels/sounds as if it's going to backfire or stall.. Driving at highway speeds and letting off the gas results in a sputtering/half backfire/misfire sound. When I start it cold it has a high idle, tap the gas and the idle drops way down and wants to stall. Car has 100,300kms and mostly (probably 99% lol) original parts (hell, the car is only on it's second set of tires ever haha)

I'm thinking the Carb needs work but was wondering what else could be causing this? possibly a lack of fuel?

Gonna be driving almost 2000kms from the prairies, through the Rockies to the west coast/Gulf islands (third time this car will have made the trip, both times the car ran absolutely perfect) and would like to work these kinks out.

Thanks for any advice/input!

-Cam

Could be carb and fuel as you mentioned. Could also be vacuum leak and in a worst case scenario a valve problem. Start with the easy stuff 1st check vacuum and fuel pressure.

When was the last time you did a tune up? Perhaps you could use a set of wires.
Sometimes the most obvious things are the things that get overlooked.

Auto Transport Service
Back