• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8hp70 behind 505" Stroker

505Coronet

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
So i have a interesting one here. For starters, its not a B-body. Nor is it even a car. Its a offroad race truck.

Its also not technically a 8hp70, is a 8hp75 with the 4wd output so i can bolt up a transfercase.

Now that that's out of the way

Has anyone ran the 8hp behind a big block for extended periods of time? I've got an adapter plate en route, looks like ill need to notch the case of the 8hp for starter clearance, not a huge deal ill just weld a bump over whatever I notch.

My biggest concern is the torque rating of the 8hp is around 540ftlbs, the big block makes 605ft lbs and there's not a great way to implement the torque management between shifts on the older power plant, while it does have MSD fuel injection, the control is not quite there in the finite ways the trans wants to see it in terms up cutting power output at the shift, the shift also happen in micro seconds not the 1.5 second delay i have between 2-3 right now with the 727...

Here's my logic seen the 8hp90 behind 800-1000whp hellcats survive for quite some time, and the 8hp70 behind 6.4s, boosted LS, BBCs survive at much higher power limits than the 540ftlbs stated would ever let live, so i think its quite a bit more stout than the rating.... anyone have first hand experience in a stand alone application where torque management was not used?

Auto Transport Service
Back