• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9 Month Wait For a Stock 440 Rebuild, and Then This

Local time
6:08 AM
Reaction score
I dropped the original 440 for my 69 Charger off at the machine shop for a "stone stock rebuild" last summer. He was supposed to call me once the block was tanked and crank turned before we picked pistons and cam. Instead I got a call yesterday that it was done and ready for pickup. I was half excited that it was finally done, and half dreading what choices were made by the builder....

He could not find the cam card but gave me a part number for Lunati Voodoo 10230703 ....which looking up today is a 494/513 lift, Adv. 268/276, @50 226/234 duration, 2400 stall cam best used with headers and 800 CFM carb with a 1800-6200 power range. LSA is 110 (Argh!). Pistons are Speed Pro Forged L2355F30. I had planned to use stock 906 heads, stock valve train, and stock intake and HP exhaust manifolds.

I have other hot rods and wanted to keep this one car stone stock with a nice idle and stock converter. So the big question..... what would you do? My devil on my shoulder says go with the flow, and the angel says change the cam and stick to the plan.

Anyone have this cam in their 440?

Sounds like a pretty good combination. That is a pretty mild cam. It should run pretty good. I vote run it as is.

It’s not ideal for stock exhaust manifolds, but it could be a lot worse. My 2 cents are to roll with it. Ultimately it’s gonna be your decision and whatever you feel is the right thing to do is what you should do.

When does the intake valve open @.050 lift?

That cam will definitely need a stall converter. I think the stock cam would have had a 112 LSA and around 0.450 lift at the valve.
It may easier to bite the bullet and change it now. It is a decent cam and you could find a buyer while it is still new.

I dropped the original 440 for my 69 Charger off at the machine shop for a "stone stock rebuild" last summer. He was supposed to call me once the block was tanked and crank turned before we picked pistons and cam. Instead I got a call yesterday that it was done and ready for pickup. I was half excited that it was finally done, and half dreading what choices were made by the builder....

He could not find the cam card but gave me a part number for Lunati Voodoo 10230703 ....which looking up today is a 494/513 lift, Adv. 268/276, @50 226/234 duration, 2400 stall cam best used with headers and 800 CFM carb with a 1800-6200 power range. LSA is 110 (Argh!). Pistons are Speed Pro Forged L2355F30. I had planned to use stock 906 heads, stock valve train, and stock intake and HP exhaust manifolds.

I have other hot rods and wanted to keep this one car stone stock with a nice idle and stock converter. So the big question..... what would you do? My devil on my shoulder says go with the flow, and the angel says change the cam and stick to the plan.

Anyone have this cam in their 440?
If you asked for stock and he didn’t do that, it doesn’t sound like you’re happy with the outcome but let me ask you this.

What’s gonna happen with the payment since he kind of went out on his own and did what he wanted to, is he going to lower the price or raise the price?

Series:
Voodoo

Make:
Chrysler

Engine:
361-440 B/RB Mopar
RPM Range: 1800 to 6200

Camshaft Type: Hydraulic Flat Tappet

Intake Valve Lift: .494"

Exhaust Valve Lift:.513"

Advertised Intake Duration: 271°

Advertised Exhaust Duration: 279°

Intake Duration @ .050": 226°

Exhaust Duration @ .050": 234°

Lobe Separation: 110°

Cam Gear Attachment: 3-Bolt

He lost the cam card and I can't find that info.
Yeah, you said that in your first post....my bad. But....you could use a degree wheel and chart it out......

I run that same cam in my 383 with stock rockers, used springs it called for. , cast iron manifolds. I do run a TM6 intake and Eddy heads. It runs really good, but I have 4 spd and 3.91 gears. Here's a pic of the cam card.

cam.jpg

And it idling

I don't think I can even run this cam with the stock valve train.

My thought now is hopefully he wrote the part number down wrong ... one number off and it can be closer to stock. Cam card lost and all part numbers on the invoice are unreadable due to sloppy penmanship.

At this point I don't think I'm going to be satisfied with ANY answer but for him finding the actual cam card, so I'm probably going to have to take it apart to be satisfied with what is even in there... and then make a decision.

Appreciate the inputs.

I run that same cam in my 383 with stock rockers, used springs it called for. , cast iron manifolds. I do run a TM6 intake and Eddy heads. It runs really good, but I have 4 spd and 3.91 gears. Here's a pic of the cam card.

View attachment 1453704

And it idling

THANKS!

268/284 .450/.458 115 are the specs for the 440 HP cam. It idles very smooth and has a ton of torque off the line in a 440 with L2355 pistons and open chambered heads.

I would give the Lunati camshaft a try since you already have it in the engine. It might have a slight loap to the idle but it shouldn't be too radical.

I don't think I can even run this cam with the stock valve train.

My thought now is hopefully he wrote the part number down wrong ... one number off and it can be closer to stock. Cam card lost and all part numbers on the invoice are unreadable due to sloppy penmanship.

At this point I don't think I'm going to be satisfied with ANY answer but for him finding the actual cam card, so I'm probably going to have to take it apart to be satisfied with what is even in there... and then make a decision.

Appreciate the inputs.
If he cant write a legible invoice and he cant include the documents for the products he sold you do not expect his engine workmanship to be any better.

View attachment 1453704

And it idling

So, you set up this cam as per the card? What's your cylinder cranking psi?

So, you set up this cam as per the card? What's your cylinder cranking psi?

Only the springs, spring height as per their specs in the catalog. Checked the cam and it was dead on going straight up, so didn't have to degree it. Don't know what cranking psi is, never checked.

Your 110° Lsa isn't far off from factory Stock's 112°, but you're Not likely to like the Idle & suggested Higher converter Stall speed similar to factory Street hemi & A12 440 cars.....Now's the Time to change it out to what you Really want.....If I had only 1 Mopar 440 car, I'd Prefer the cam you Have but you want this one Stock Stock.....

Re-do means no-drive the car for longer. You already had to wait almost a year. Give the guy a chance, it may be a killer engine. Put it in and drive the wheels off it, before another year goes by.

Auto Transport Service
Back