• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9212S 440 truck.

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:57 PM
Reaction score
was looking around to se what i had here and came across a thing thay said that TQ's with the numbers 9208S 9210S 9212S and 9248S made carbon monoxide.. just what is that about.... don't all carbs do that?? lol

was looking around to se what i had here and came across a thing thay said that TQ's with the numbers 9208S 9210S 9212S and 9248S made carbon monoxide.. just what is that about.... don't all carbs do that?? lol
Burning or combusting of a hydrocarbon fuel, like gasoline and air in controlled proportions, will form carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, water vapor, release of energy (heat) and oxides of nitrogen NOx (predominately nitrogen dioxide, NO2, and nitric oxide, N2O). The NOx component is controlled by keeping combustion chamber temperature below 1500°F. thru the introduction of exhaust gas in the fuel charge. The later TQ carbs had provisions of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve control system ports as well as fuel metering component changes to allow for the NOx system additions. Is this what you are referring to?
BOB RENTON

Burning or combusting of a hydrocarbon fuel, like gasoline and air in controlled proportions, will form carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, water vapor, release of energy (heat) and oxides of nitrogen NOx (predominately nitrogen dioxide, NO2, and nitric oxide, N2O). The NOx component is controlled by keeping combustion chamber temperature below 1500°F. thru the introduction of exhaust gas in the fuel charge. The later TQ carbs had provisions of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve control system ports as well as fuel metering component changes to allow for the NOx system additions. Is this what you are referring to?
BOB RENTON
it has the electric bowl vent on the back of it and all the extra ports that fit for a TQ with CA smog for a 77 440 truck .... i have just never seen it referd to in that way and only on those carb numbers ... just wondering if i was missing something that made these carb differnt from any other leaned out CA smog dog. info that mite come in handy someday ....

I am using a similar model, off an International truck. Has the elec vent at the rear, & the fuel inlet is in the centre, rear, pointing down. It also has a single fuel bowl vent at the rear, not the more common dual vents. I removed/blocked off the vent.
The carb is now on a 455 Pontiac.

I am using a similar model, off an International truck. Has the elec vent at the rear, & the fuel inlet is in the centre, rear, pointing down. It also has a single fuel bowl vent at the rear, not the more common dual vents. I removed/blocked off the vent.
The carb is now on a 455 Pontiac.
why did ya block off the vent? with todays BS fuel it not a bad idea to have one.

We may be talking about different 'vents'. The thing I removed & blocked off with a plate was triangular shaped at the rear of the carb. That still leaves the two fuel bowl vent tubes [ to atmosphere ], one at the front & one at the rear.

Auto Transport Service
Back