• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few gun stories

SteveSS

Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
My did has passed away a few years back but he told me this one. He had a pair of denim overalls. This was just after the dust bowl in Oklahoma. His overhauls as some like to call them in OK had been through the wash 3 times with a .22 cartridge in the pocket. Being six years old he thought that rendered it inert. He decided to knock it apart with a hammer. No one was home so who would know? Whack, the bullet wen into his thigh. He was a kid and like we all do when we get hurt doing something we shouldn't have doing, he hid in the closet.

His mom came home and followed the blood trail. Took him to the doctor but they just left the bullet in his leg.

When I was about 12 years old, dad took me duck hunting. It was a long walk into the reservoir, in the dark, on a muddy trail. Eventually I tripped and sunk my 20 gauge shotgun barrel about 2 inches into the wet mud. Dad was pissed. I got to carry the gun the whole time never shoot it and clean it when we got home.

Mid seventies in our small SE Kansas town we were never too far away from guns. I had some .22 cartridges in my front shirt pocket. I must have been laying on the shag carpeted floor and one fell out and buried it'self in the rug. Mom hit it with the upright vacuum and it blew a hole up through the beater bar casing. She was pissed.

My friend Kim who is an excellent hunter/sportsman shot a hole in his stove top oven showing me how awesome his new scope was. His wife was pissed

I guess my point is if you're going to be around guns a lot, always expect the unexpected.

Got any good gun stories?

When I was little I had a 4.10 single shot. My dad was showing me how to point the gun in a safe direction while letting off of the hammer. The gun went off. Dad says see there boy I did that to show you how dangerous guns are. Years later he told me that scared the crap out of him.

As young boys under the age of twelve, my father would take my brother and myself to a local creek bridge to learn gun handling. We learned to shoot a .22 rifle, a 12 gauge shot gun and a WWII era Remington .45. Because he had retired from the Army in the 60's as a Marksman, he took gun handling very seriously and wanted to be sure we did too. I credit my common sense gun handling to my father.
On one shooting occasion at the old wooden bridge, a local drunk drove up and started waving his loaded rifle around. My father gave the man a couple of warnings about sweeping his long gun, to no avail. I'll never forget my father snatching the rifle out of his hands and unloading the cartridges onto the bridge. He then handed the man his empty rifle and told him to leave, or he would throw his *** into the creek with his rifle. And I knew he would have kept his word.
The man got into his pick up truck and left.

Nearly fifty years ago I’m a youngster taking a gun safety course from the local police. During the introduction around a large, round table the police officer passes his revolver around for us to look at. Upon getting it back he immediately points it at the ceiling and discharges the full charge blank round that none of us had noticed it contained. Our ears rang for a long time and I guarantee that none of us ever again handled a firearm without checking to see if it was loaded.

Well ! I had a cheap 9mm awhile back it was a decent gun until this day . I was getting it out of the safe to load it up to bring it to the range. It was loaded and cocked back as all my guns are well we later found out a plastic part inside broke as I had it in my hand thank God I always point them at the floor when I move them around! It went off in the bedroom , scared the crap out of me ! The friend's that were staying with us at the time (retired Navy) didn't even hear it across the house!
The pistol went in for warranty repair I got back a new gun and decided to sell it and not be cheap!

As the saying gos always handle a gun as it might fire whenever as some do!

You keep your guns loaded and cocked inside your safe ?? Were you going to the range with a loaded and cocked firearm in the car, on a public road ?? Were you alone in the car ?? Hope so. God was looking out for you and your friends. Could have been a very sad day. Take a gun safety class.

My guns stay loaded and cocked if not you might as well not have them! The ones that go in the range bag get emptied before hand (we didn't get that far ! )

I'm assuming your the kinda guy who leaves a gun in one room and the bullits in another! The safest place for my loaded gun is in my safe ! Not sure where you keep yours ! And in the car my carry gos muzzle down in the cup holder!
I don't need gun safety classes you might want to get some reading glasses the gun had a failure ! Nothing I did caused it and nothing I did could of prevented it! I'm glad it failed there instead of in my wife's purse pointed God knows where!

A guy I knew once went to look at a rifle for sale. The seller lived in a house on the lake. He told my friend the gun was unloaded, handed it to him and said he could dry fire it. Well, he sighted through the sliding glass door toward the lake and clicked the trigger....You can guess the rest. Thankfully no one was injured.

We all know the 4 basic rules of gun safety, right?
1. Treat all guns as if they are always loaded - you won't always be wrong.
2. Muzzle discipline - never point it at anything you don't want to destroy.
3. Keep your booger picker off the click-bang until it's time to shoot something.
4. Be sure of your backdrop (what is behind your target).

Well, that's all well and good, but anyone who is a gun enthusiast can tell you stories about how they forgot at least one of these at a given time in the past, eh?
Mine involves a classic Winchester 94 in 30-30...and a bed headboard....and the wall behind it....and the garage next to the house.
Thankfully, no breathing critters were harmed because #2 above was observed (sort of), even if the others were not. :praying:

Loaded, yes. But why cocked? Revolver or semi??
That's the classic question for "gun folks" though, isn't it?
The eternal debate on what condition to keep especially pistols in...
I'm not saying it's right, but all pistols in my house are loaded but no rounds are in chambers.
Pistols carried are ready to rock and all are "polymer wonders", i.e., no external safeties.
I don't know if that's the perfect scenario, but given my wife is not the enthusiast I am (and therefore
has less time with them), I want to keep all of them she may grab to be in the same condition, long gun
or pistol.

Loaded, yes. But why cocked? Revolver or semi??

Some handguns, like the common .45 1911 are not safe with the hammer down and a round in the chamber as they have a floating firing pin. Dropping it in this condition could cause it to go off if it lands on the hammer. That's where the term "Cocked and Locked" came from as the safest method for a 1911 (with a round in the chamber) is hammer cocked with the safety locked.

Still makes me nervous though, as the safety has a pretty good detent, but could still get switched off. I have come to prefer my Sig Sauers that have the de-cocking feature and can be carried safely with the hammer down. The first shot is the longer double-action pull like a revolver, then single action after that. I feel much safer with that then "Cocked and Locked" or striker fire choices like the Glock, M&P or XD offerings. Just my opinion though!

My guns stay loaded and cocked if not you might as well not have them! The ones that go in the range bag get emptied before hand (we didn't get that far ! )

I'm assuming your the kinda guy who leaves a gun in one room and the bullits in another! The safest place for my loaded gun is in my safe ! Not sure where you keep yours ! And in the car my carry gos muzzle down in the cup holder!
I don't need gun safety classes you might want to get some reading glasses the gun had a failure ! Nothing I did caused it and nothing I did could of prevented it! I'm glad it failed there instead of in my wife's purse pointed God knows where!
good reason NOT to keep one in the chamber. a REVOVER TO ME IS MUCH SAFER TO KEEP READY-----

That's the classic question for "gun folks" though, isn't it?
The eternal debate on what condition to keep especially pistols in...
I'm not saying it's right, but all pistols in my house are loaded but no rounds are in chambers.
Pistols carried are ready to rock and all are "polymer wonders", i.e., no external safeties.
I don't know if that's the perfect scenario, but given my wife is not the enthusiast I am (and therefore
has less time with them), I want to keep all of them she may grab to be in the same condition, long gun
or pistol.
S

Oh,.... As for stories. Worst one I heard is someone I know telling the story of taking a bowl of change (Pennies, nickels and dimes) to the bank to have them sorted and cashed in. Problem is they didn't realize someone had dropped a handful of .22 cartridges in the bowl at some point. Bank attendant dumped the container into the machine to sort them and started the machine up. I guess they got lucky that none went off, but they did make a nasty clatter and bound the machine up. Needless to say the bank people were extremely unhappy!!

good reason NOT to keep one in the chamber. a REVOVER TO ME IS MUCH SAFER TO KEEP READY-----

You do realize that revolvers have "One in the chamber" too. The only difference is that the revolvers have that long double-action pull, which I agree makes them safer, just like the Sig Sauer features I mentioned above.

Older revolvers can still fire if the hammer is hit, hence the updates in design on newer revolvers to add a transfer bar under the hammer. Older models did not have this, so it was always suggested to keep an empty slot in the cylinder under the hammer. That limited the user to 5 rounds though.

First rule of owning firearms.......and if ya don't know what it is, you shouldn't own them. There's no such thing as an AD, but there are lots of NDs. As for modern pistols..... They are far superior to the older models. All my carry-guns are polymer framed, and have controls to carry them with one in the pipe, completely safe. Some people like to tell stories and opinions of things they're not familiar with, and perpetuate old-wives tales and disinformation. The old Fudds, are what got me into modern polymer pistols and HK products. They sounded stupid with their "gotta be a steel 1911, in 45, cause it's a man's gun" crap. Things have changed, since 1911. I have 2 Colt 1911's, and a 1902...and they're just collector pieces.

Last edited:
A revolver with a transfer bar can be carried with an empty chamber like the older style if you want to be safer. The revolver rotates the cylinder and fires on the first trigger pull regardless. The empty chamber becomes the last cylinder to fire.

I know I’m captain obvious to some :elmer:

Last edited:
Many years ago buddy and I in his '69 GTX were in a bad neighborhood; we were making an underage beer run to a liquor store where we wouldn't be carded. We came to a stoplight and a couple chicks in an old Chevy were bopping around in their car to the radio then one of them suddenly pointed a pistol out their door at us saying "How about I shoot your lily white asses?" My buddy popped the clutch spinning the rear tires creating a massive blue fog before launch leaving them disappear in the haze.

Auto Transport Service
Back