• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question for my column shifted brothers......

Hosehead

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Okay, so I am putting my 65 belvedere back together and I have hit a snag with my steering column. I am using a '70 727 so I am ditching my cable shifted steering column. I have found a 66 steering column but it is from a power steering car and mine is manual. Have any of you ever tried to use the steering shaft out of a cable shift column in a later model linkage shifted steering column?? Just thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance all!

Pretty good question. I'd say that you have to just pull the shafts from both columns and compare. My guess is that the '65 shaft will work since it already mated with your existing coupler.

Pretty good question. I'd say that you have to just pull the shafts from both columns and compare. My guess is that the '65 shaft will work since it already mated with your existing coupler.
Hose head! I did excact same thing on my 65 Coronet wagon. Steering shaft from 65 manual
drops right in to mine. Got the complete linkage & Z bar from 318 dodge coronet.Then you can you a later 727 BB trans, even blinker harness plugs to the 65 harness, D Dog!

Auto Transport Service
Back