• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A sad day for my Dart and major life events

Like Seventy say's the option of working with the other parties insurance may be there. I had an incident where MY insurance wanted to repair some parts at THEIR preferred shop. I held out and went to my preferred shop. The other parties insurance adjuster met with the owner of my shop and had no problem replacing the parts in question. The parts were replaced not just fixed through their insurance and I never filed a claim with my insurance.

That sucks, glad to hear no injuries too...

I hope it was insured & especially {Older lady that hit you} she was insured...

suck either way, car will never be the same, but it can be replaced too

good luck on the car & your new marriage too
{don't ever go to bed angry}

Good luck with all of this. Glad yer ok. There's a Dart sittin in the local Salvage yard and I think it's got that same grill. I'll have a look for you next time I go up.

Congrats on getting married. Unfortunately, unless you have a specialty insurance company where the cars is insured for what it is actually worth, they are going to try to screw you by using Kellys Blue Book or whatever to low ball the value of the car.

It wouldn't be his insurance that has to pay, but the woman's.

He has receipts for the work that he has done and he doesn't have to accept their low offer.

Also anything the insurance company does not pay the woman is responsible for herself.

According to my insurance, I do have the option of pursuing this through the woman's insurance since she admitted fault and the police report says so, or through my own insurance. I'm collecting information and having my insurance's adjuster look at it this week. If that fails to provide satisfaction (I'm going to guess it won't), it will go to a local shop that my friends and family have used for evaluation and possibly repair. I can get their insurance to evaluate it at that point too.

No one is being unreasonable yet and I'm not hurt so I see no reason to involve lawyers. I'm not interested in screwing someone over a mistake- I've made my share and I would expect to be treated fairly. As long as they make me reasonably whole, it will all be fine.

Glad no one was hurt. I know what your going through and beleive me it gets better as time goes by. Congrats on your marriage !

I had a good (well, good-ish) time with the adjuster yesterday. He was in his mid-sixties and a former body shop guy. He's into Corvairs and does all his own work, so he felt my pain. I provided him with with my parts list and time estimates as well as what parts are available, what would have to be original used, etc. He appreciated that and said it made life much easier for him.

I don't have a verdict yet, but he said he would do everything he could to avoid totaling the car. He got to somewhere around $4-5k in parts and 15-20 hours of labor... But he took me at my word that the drive train was completely new and this was a good driving car with hundreds of hours of labor and around $8k in parts in it. He said he could easily value it $7-8k if it were nothing special. Hopefully he can manage to value it high enough to repair it.

The bad news: while the frame doesn't seem tweaked, it certainly needs some time on a frame jig to pull the inner fenders and core support back where they're supposed to be. That doesn't worry me much, but it is something I can't do myself. Assuming it's not totaled, I guess it heads to one of the shops I trust for some work for the first time since I've owned it.

We'll see how it turns out, but it might work out OK.

Was this the adjuster from your insurance company or hers? If it was her insurance co, it would be a property damage claim ( she hit you and damaged your property and was at fault). If it is your insurance co, it is a collision claim and follows the rules for collision insurance. Two very different scenarios.

I had a good (well, good-ish) time with the adjuster yesterday. He was in his mid-sixties and a former body shop guy. He's into Corvairs and does all his own work, so he felt my pain. I provided him with with my parts list and time estimates as well as what parts are available, what would have to be original used, etc. He appreciated that and said it made life much easier for him.

I don't have a verdict yet, but he said he would do everything he could to avoid totaling the car. He got to somewhere around $4-5k in parts and 15-20 hours of labor... But he took me at my word that the drive train was completely new and this was a good driving car with hundreds of hours of labor and around $8k in parts in it. He said he could easily value it $7-8k if it were nothing special. Hopefully he can manage to value it high enough to repair it.

The bad news: while the frame doesn't seem tweaked, it certainly needs some time on a frame jig to pull the inner fenders and core support back where they're supposed to be. That doesn't worry me much, but it is something I can't do myself. Assuming it's not totaled, I guess it heads to one of the shops I trust for some work for the first time since I've owned it.

We'll see how it turns out, but it might work out OK.

It was my insurance company. What is the difference is between the two scenarios?

LOL.... you need a Lawyer! HA...like HE is gonna help you!!!!! HE will help himself. Get an independent 3rd party that values classics and have them estimate the probable value and work before the accident and be consistent with YOUR insurance company "trusting they will do the right thing" ( they HATE that terminology)

I understand the point of view- I'm going to let them do their estimate. I have time and always get a second, third, or fourth.

I know not everyone will agree with this, but I think State Farm has been fair. They are paying out $8200 for the damage. Since I do almost everything myself, this doesn't nearly cover my time, but it's pretty fair on parts. And they will take updates to the claim as I disassemble it. I already know I need a new fan and I didn't spot that during the initial assessment. The frame will need shop time too, and they will accept updates based on that repair, which I already think they undervalued quite a bit.

The question now is whether to fix the car or find a better body and transplant the running gear.

time fix it to get it sale worthy, sell it take the extra money and start over, IMO once a car is bad luck I let them go. I had a lad tap me in the back when I was towing a chevelle home from pa, no real damage, but it happened in NJ, and what a mthr fkr them cops are, they held me up, checking codes on trialer tires, and brakes, and wtf I wanted to choke them... The trailer was 9 months old and had maybe 4000 miles on it, they couldnt find a thing wrong, so anyway after a bunch of jerking me around, we are back on our way, get the car home and park it, someone steals the hood and deck lid off of it while its still on the trailer, then I broke my foot dropping the rear end out of it, I said I give up Ill sell it as it sits, but then came to my senses and kept at it, IT WAS THE HARdesT RESTO I EVER DID, I was constantly getting hurt, nothing worked, I sold it all done and 2 weeks later it ate a valve, brand new gm crate engine, I did the swap they covered the materials, while it was in the garage the hood fell over and landed on my brand new ctsv that had just came back from henny's, what a night mare, I just could not get it out of my life fast enough.

Now if I get that feeling, I send them down the road... move on to something that treats me better, lol..

8200 goes a long way in the A body world...you know how many clean, running driving darts are out there for less than that? Id say start looking for a donor if your front sub frame is wrecked.

- - - Updated - - -

To my point...this one has new paint and sheet metal for that price...may be a tad high. But proves the point. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=328479

- - - Updated - - -

Ot even more to the point....unrestored but less than 4k http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=329847

Yeah, I've been looking for another car. Thanks for pointing me to the Arizona one. That might be a candidate. I'm probably not up for shipping one from the east coast because I'd prefer to look at it first, especially at that price.

Yeah I didn't even look at location. Just comparable examples. Join the fabo site if u aren't on there already...plenty of darts on there for Sale

First off, do NOT do any repairs and spend any money out of your pocket. Most states law require that an insurance company repair a car that is repairable if it is NOT your fault. Record all conversations and send all letters via USPS certified mail. Do not settle for pennies you want your car repaired period. I had a similar issue and it took a little over one year. Had to go to mediation but I got my money and I got the car repaired plus the money for pain and suffering. You have to do the dance and understand the insurance company is NOT your friend and I hope you did not call your insurance and report it. You call the at fault insurance only. You give them 10 days and only 10 days to act; after that I let the attorney handle it and a good one will get it done. My two cents, been there and won.

Found a new one.

Overall, I have to say things worked out well here. I have a ton of work ahead of me, again, but I ended up with another '72 Dart in excellent shape after contributing some cash out of pocket.

qIR8HbZTt2gyCowTV8eZVPJDqFSRuEeEuiwKWlpLY0hGx_FgfnPtA_3Gsh1moSn12hsZjlD9Eak-olOXXP6exRhIQpNFmd3lrTkUNnrFqPVAxWeUK3FDBzOK5Zp7RAT_084WNG4bXJIGEdaRSjO559nCZwUG6gFPr5x011y6ie2pb3Vn8D4a63uwTcNtrSVkUGvDqZlswnrzHx3zQQeZCtzqFZHicDkDG6HH4jQyHCt9NZguGRQ6PmFubxNJveAVMQCXN51kEtybWk8fIq5oaytYdLsTYFQ2btmLUnDk7woLeR50v6JZbpF8TK920j9l02n4xyfyk2oqT6ZKBzKI2Vgd_CJbFIyAKDyR3y99bukPTzngbyF1Ez1fvIpuygSm6Te4y-gSKVMDzTWJgIPGIrdbTaUk-Of-FJnmOXYAVxiKvtxhC1OAuh6Fex9NTIuU3ihciCifiL27j5FPK9AfuO6Ls17_fZAUiUojp6Mr4k10kEbNgeQxjy8mQT3ldJ-mI0DZ0FPFG8RGx0G8iGsGNBgm7_ZpS6tx9QnbKSttYqK2=w1196-h673-no

K9oIDO_l6T14PHp6q11aOq2dDh7dT7wYtIjtK2gpCh44HmHBnyBmkSh4aWDP0MjkhHcgcs6TqooW2dlc0hDOIyZ8BJ25P9uVgeS5T6-ZFI7lYiGEie-tvXYxZvc5SxtptssRXo_jplfDNK6iVbsT8DBlMpfPGvOKmUUiG3YkAm1oESJECcsmDTpx6WU7XLFg8xal4quAANa6cUj9e5CZzUb9zaMNWhlACKvDsjGcvvjmd9C6IZU0PIQEjuqPMxr3zG60aZYuhfn6Tk9LIugCOTsk2BWR7HNbVkh1FU2CEFzQE4G_CrHXyGwYWmmA2XMD77TjTtu0C61_vzfqlYDJjZzD0Pst97Odd1TnAF1WmJy8NT_oqy5W8tdaqlNNnt7O7rem0eamTORjnATD5w24ls1WOA8Thlx5SEi49TNAc3hQ8u-mTYUK40IJsJcAEPGjIPWDxyqNZdk229fEn1pA5L1u4OJ379-IaQ1gIJ05q5dR9eqBH9mVcNYMhAVxybFWJkvfmWA8gVTXyp4rfb92XbWJKokN-4ceyZa-PYumQM7S=w1196-h673-no

The car is mostly original, except for the stripes, 4bbl, headers, hood pins, and scoop. I have no reason to doubt the odometer and its 47k miles. It leaks, wanders, and needs a tune-up, but the body is in the best shape I've ever seen for an unrestored car. It also came with a new radiator, hoses, gasket and seal kit, water pump, and miscellaneous bits.

Plans are to swap my drive train and suspension from the green car into this body. It has its share of chips and dings, but nothing major.

The funniest part? It was about half a mile from the house I grew up in.

The funniest part? It was about half a mile from the house I grew up in.

It's a small world sometimes, isn't it ?

congrats & now get to work...LOL
Happy Moparing

Auto Transport Service
Back