• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A stock car flammin with a loser at the cruise control!

Here are the pictures
20180505_192826.jpg
20180505_192826.jpg
20180505_192537.jpg
20180505_192546.jpg
20180505_192530.jpg

The detective who solved the case of the Hot Hemi Headers, needs no introduction, Lt Columbo! Lol

20180505_192920.jpg

I had a great weekend! I got the missing headers back, and sold a 68 Charger project car that I had behind the garage for the last twelve years! I had planned to build a Daytona clone out of it, but since I bought this project, and the plum crazy purple 70 Charger R /T from California, I no longer needed this car. I sold it to a fellow FBBO member who dosen't mind doing the metal work that typically rusty New England B bodies require. I had sold a 68 Satellite convertible to him a year and a half ago, and he has almost finished the metal work on it. It needed almost every piece of sheet metal, including all of the frame rails replaced. When he came and bought the Satellite, he saw the 68 Charger roller behind the garage, and wanted to buy it too.

I have not posted much on the stock car lately, but I am hoping to get back to work on it soon. I had planned to pull the engine out of my yellow Charger last weekend, but I ended up having to work on my truck instead. I had to do brakes on the truck, and I bought four new wheels and tires from a 2018 Ram. My truck looks ten years newer. I went to the auto body supply store, and bought some sheet metal to make the lower sections of the inner front fenders. It was forty bucks a sheet for a 3 by 4 piece of sheet metal, 18 guage. That has gone up a lot from the last time I bought some. I remember it being around twenty bucks a sheet,now it costs double that now. I posted a few pics of the trunk and the brakes before and after.
20180520_154722.jpg
20180520_194743.jpg
20180520_183605.jpg
20180520_171348.jpg

There just one more thing that is puzzling me ?
If the guy that supposedly took the headers admitted that he took them on Friday morning, how did he know to take the Craigslist ad down on Wednesday night after I spoke to the tenants wife the first time! So you can see why its so puzzling!
20180501_233601.jpg
20180501_233613.jpg

This is the sheet metal, and some thin cardboard to make the templates for the inner front fenders.
20180530_193421.jpg

I got the Daytona stock car up on the lift,here are some pictures of the underside of it.
20180617_130226.jpg
20180617_130210.jpg
20180617_130156.jpg

20180617_130448.jpg

I have not updated this thread on the racecar in a while, but yesterday I got some more work done on the project. I spoke with my engine builder, and he told me that he could take the Hemi after Thanksgiving, so I had to pull the engine out of my yellow Charger, and remove the top end of the engine.
20181204_172804.jpg
20181204_172815.jpg
20181204_172838.jpg
20181204_180415.jpg

As I stated before the Cummins built 472 Hemi crate engines from this era,were known to have quality control issues, so I had planned to have a machine shop go through the engine to insure that there would be no issues that could cause engine failure. As I said before, my friend has two 472 Hemi crate engines, and the first one had the wrong head gaskets, the rear main seal was installed backwards, and the rocker arm adjustment studs were over hardened, causing them to become brittle and three of them broke. His second 472 Hemi crate engine lunched the camshaft, due to a shipment of improperly hardened camshafts from Comp Cams. I have no way of knowing if my engine has any of those issues, so I bought the Edelbrock 705 horsepower top end kit for the Hemi, as well as new Crane rocker arm adjustment studs. I bought the engine in 2004,and have never ran it. Supposedly Cummins had ran the engine on the dyno for six hours, and it made 531 hp. So far everything looks good, but my friends engine with the bad cam also passed the dyno test,and failed shortly after being installed in the car. Because he had just purchased the engine, it was sent back to Cummins and was rebuilt, and it has run fine since then. Because I never ran my engine, the warranty is long over,so if it fails now it's on me. This is why I am sending it out to be completely gone through before installing it. I have also changed what I was planning to do with it, so I think I will have to change out the 9 to 1 compression pistons to make the horsepower that I am looking for, and I believe that it will run better and stay in tune longer with the roller cam and dual quad fuel injection system.
20181204_212103.jpg
20181204_212142.jpg

I will be using the cast iron Hemi heads from the 472 Hemi engine, on the 426 Hemi short block that I bought last year. This 426 Hemi engine will be going into the yellow 70 Charger R /T SE.
20181204_212116.jpg
20181204_212128.jpg

I had planned to upgrade the 472 Hemi engine, so I bought an Indy mod man intake, with a cam and lifters matched to work with that intake manifold, dual Carter carbs,and TTI headers. All of these parts will be used to build the 426 Hemi engine for the yellow Charger.
20180311_113706.jpg

I plan to bolt the iron Hemi heads on the 426 Hemi short block, and install it in the racecar for mockup, to build the exhaust system, and determine if the rack and pinion steering system that is currently in the car will work with the Hemi because it appears that the oil pump may be in the way of where the steering shaft has to go. I may have to go with a different type of steering system.

Once I get the mockup engine in the car, I am reaching the point where I will have to look for a competent racecar shop to setup the chassis, steering, rear axle, and brakes. I would like to set the car up to a road course setup, so I can drive it on the street, and occasional autocross usage. I will also have to learn how to set the car up for circle track use as well, so I can set the car up for wingcar meets that are held at racetracks.

There are pictures of the dual quad fuel injection setup on page 4 of this thread.

That dual quad fuel injection system is nice, and the thought just struck me....
How great would those fuel injection 4bbls look on a Mopar crossram intake?
:bananadance:

They would look great on a cross ram intake for sure, but for what I am doing, the in line setup works for me. I am going to be fabricating a Nascar air cleaner that will draw air from an air box that I will be fabricating under the cowl grating. The firewall has been moved back leaving the cowl grating open,so I can attach the airbox to the underside of the cowl easily. The Nascar chassis has the engine sitting lower and further back in the engine bay than the factory did. This helps with the weight balance and gives the car a lower center of gravity.

Auto Transport Service
Back