• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12 Superbee back in 1975

RRDon

Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
My friend Bill sent me this pic of him with his Superbee at the Michigan Motorplex back in the day. Except for the slicks and some minor tuning the car was completely stock. He consistently ran low 12's.
440 SuperBee Burn Out.jpg

He still has this car. Cool photo.

Not only does he still have this numbers matching, professionally restored, four speed car, he's in the process right now of installing his newly 'custom' rebuilt engine. Don't want to give away too much but let's just say the dyno numbers far exceed stock. ;)
Bills Engine Install.jpg

Low 12's is/was really quick for a "stock" car, especially if it didn't have headers.

great looking super bee l like the color going to paint my road runner rally green

In May '71 the local Dodge dealer, big into high performance had at least 20-25 A-12's on the lot, dealer Demo's, all available colors. Most all column shift 727's, couple 4 spd's. $1,200. Insurance too high for my parents. $1.200!!!
Edit: pretty sure the green ones had both the black stripe & the white stripe. Maybe the orange ones too.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember insurance being high...
I borrowed $'s from my father and he dictated because of high insurance, no high performance.
Bought a 70 SE Challenger, 318, 3 spd manual,a real dog
Still have it and am installing a 340 w/ 4 speed
BTW, no freebies I paid my father back in full, working at a Big Boy restaurant.

Love A12's.. This model/year is probably my favorite of ALL the Chryslers - period.

In May '71 the 340 Cuda's were still not "high performance" with my parents insurance. Couldn't make deal on one. Got a '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe 383 2bbl. Of course the DP4B & 3310-1 soon followed along with dual exhaust, then quickly headers, limited slip.

In May '71 the local Dodge dealer, big into high performance had at least 20-25 A-12's on the lot, dealer Demo's, all available colors. Most all column shift 727's, couple 4 spd's. $1,200. Insurance too high for my parents. $1.200!!!
Edit: pretty sure the green ones had both the black stripe & the white stripe. Maybe the orange ones too.

You must be referring to White Bear Dodge! I found this old ad in a '69 Runner I bought years ago!
IMG_3840.jpg
IMG_3842.jpg

Yes, it was. By mid '71 they were clearing out all Demo's they collected, 5 to 10,000 miles on them.

I remember hearing Larry Shepard from Mopar Performance talk at the Mopar Nats one year. They took a new A12 and gave it an NHRA Super Stock legal blueprint. Car ran high 11's as I recall him tell it. They sold it and the buyer was a terror on the streets of Detroit.

I'm sure high 11s with a super stock blue printed engine with HEADERS NHRA Legal back in the day ws done. But I highly doubt a stock A12 with exhaust manifolds will run high 11s.

I believe 12.42 ET was his best time in totally stock configuration (except for slicks and minor tuning). Keep in mind that's a Super Trac Pak four speed car with 4:10 Dana. It's funny how a lot of people don't believe it but all you have to do is check out the pure stock drags even today and see that and even better times with pure stock cars with stock exhaust manifolds.
Bills Super Bee.jpg

Super Trac Pak four speed car with 4:10 Dana.
All A12 cars had the 4.10 gears is my understanding.
From an owner's perspective, that takes dedication to the true purpose of the car. What I mean by that is with a 1:1 final transmission ratio, a 4.10 ring and pinion makes for a really noisy high RPM highway ride. I switched out my 3.54 gears to 4.10 when I installed the Passon a855 5 speed. Now THAT is the best of both worlds! Dropped my 70 MPH RPMs from 3,500 to 2,750 and I get all of the joy that a 4.10 brings.
Love A12's.. This model/year is probably my favorite of ALL the Chryslers - period.
Certainly one of my favorites!
B-Body...check
440 6bbl...check
Legendary performance...check

Ok, one last original photo of my buddy's car at the starting line about to wreak havoc on some hapless GM product, enjoy ;)
Bill's super bee racing GM junk.JPG

Hey, dig that 'mullet' on the guy standing between the cars. Oh well, at least some of us actually 'had' hair back then LOL

Ok, one last original photo of my buddy's car at the starting line about to wreak havoc on some hapless GM product, enjoy ;)
View attachment 998059
Hey, dig that 'mullet' on the guy standing between the cars. Oh well, at least some of us actually 'had' hair back then LOL
Nice! That looks like a 73-75 Oldsmobile, so if the GM was running a stock short block, I'm sure that he learned how much difference 1969/70 was to 1973-75 as far as power output goes.
I'm a one man ambassador who is trying to bring back the mullet. I wouldn't call my hair style full mullet, but it is "mullet-eque"
Business up front...Party in the back!

"Business up front...Party in the back!"
LMAO, Thanks, I just blew ice tea out my nose

Auto Transport Service
Back