• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 Gear Oil

Just for an additional talking point.....what air do you use in your tires? Or....are you like the commercial air lines and use nitrogen to prevent ozone deterioration of the rubber compounds? ???
BOB RENTON
Hmmm...
Thanks for asking... :rolleyes:
Since I reside in Southern California near Los Angeles...
I do use nitrogen in my tires due to our heavy smog/ozone as it reduces air loss, boosts fuel economy, decreases rolling resistance, and improves safety.

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Redline leaks, go with Sta-Lube!

Synchronizer safe and one that doesn’t cause leaks, colder climate may need thinner but I follow the book and vendor recommended type... to each their own.

Manual transmissions require an oil with a API GL-4 rating.
The Mobil 1 SYN gear Lube LS 75W-90 has a API GL-5 rating which is good for hypoid gears, like the ones in differentials.
Do not use a GL-5 rated oil in manual transmissions.
GL5 oils attack yellow metals like the brass syncro rings.

My factory service manual says ATF unless you are operating under hi temps then use gear oil...GL4.

I worked as a mechanic at Mopar dealers from '68-'72...all of our cars came with atf.

Today a good substitute is GM Syncromesh fluid. It's about a 50 weight IIRC.

Heavy gear oil in normal temps is un-needed.

Strictly a 50/50 brew of autotrac II gm transfercase fluid and 15/40 diesel oil to a maximum of 75 % case fill, then top off with powersteering fluid and dot 3 brake fluid for best performance.

After doing tons of research I decided to buy the Driven GL4 conventional oil as it's a great tranny oil ( great video on this oil on you tube ) and easier to purchase than the Sta-lube 24239. Brewers performance does not recommend synthetic oil of any kind for the A833 and do not recommend any type of motor oil ( as one guy replied he's running 20w50 ) as it is not formulated for the load carrying capability required for meshed involute gear teeth. Over time spalling and scuffing will result. Thanks for all the interesting replies I think we can close this thread

Strictly a 50/50 brew of autotrac II gm transfercase fluid and 15/40 diesel oil to a maximum of 75 % case fill, then top off with powersteering fluid and dot 3 brake fluid for best performance.
You forgot the 2 Oz of Sperm Whale oil.

and do not recommend any type of motor oil ( as one guy replied he's running 20w50 ) as it is not formulated for the load carrying capability required for meshed involute gear teeth.
Well it's certainly a step up from the factory's recommendation of ATF and what cars where shipped in with to the dealers up here.

OH.. and I'll add, 157,000 miles on my numbers A833 and the side cover has never been off of it !

Last edited:
You forgot to add the pint of "Eye of Newt" as determined by the three witches of Eastwick, brewing a cauldron of potions, in the Shakespeare classic "Macbeth". It is supposed to promote super slick shifting ....???? Just a thought......
BOB RENTON

Has anyone used Driven conventional gear oil 04530 in their 4 speed ( A833 ) tranny, or Redline MT90, had my tranny rebuilt and just wondering what is the best oil.
Thanks
I plan on using Chevron 80W90, the label on the back says GL 4 and GL 5 so asked a guy at my local parts store who said GL 4 and GL 5 specs will work but said stay away from GL 6 as it is known for eating away brass parts. Sure I will get about 30 contradictions to this post.

Hmmm...
Thanks for asking... :rolleyes:
Since I reside in Southern California near Los Angeles...
I do use nitrogen in my tires due to our heavy smog/ozone as it reduces air loss, boosts fuel economy, decreases rolling resistance, and improves safety.

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:
Interesting - I’m generally in your same neighborhood. Is nitrogen also good on new or older DDs - I know that’s a rhetorical question - I’d just never heard this before - where do you get it - and how do you apply it?

Auto Transport Service
Back