• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 rebuild

Houle #382

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to pull my A833 out of my 68 Coronet RT for rebuild, My current front exhaust pipe is a 2 1/2 inch H pipe will I be able to drop and re-install my tranny without dropping the H pipe ? I will be dropping it while the car is on ramps and jack stands and I do have a new tranny scissors jack to lower it and raise the tranny.

I'm getting ready to pull my A833 out of my 68 Coronet RT for rebuild, My current front exhaust pipe is a 2 1/2 inch H pipe will I be able to drop and re-install my tranny without dropping the H pipe ? I will be dropping it while the car is on ramps and jack stands and I do have a new tranny scissors jack to lower it and raise the tranny.
A pic of how the exhaust is routed would be helpful in determining that.....

A pic of how the exhaust is routed would be helpful in determining that.....
There's plenty of clearance on the sides but the actual H or cross over on the pipe is right at the very end of the tranny's tail extension where the drive shaft connects to the tranny

There's plenty of clearance on the sides but the actual H or cross over on the pipe is right at the very end of the tranny's tail extension where the drive shaft connects to the tranny
Well, you gotta pull the trans back far enough to get the input shaft out of the bell housing. The tail of the trans won't drop down much until the input shaft is out of the clutch so I'm thinking the answer is no....

If you can get the cross member removed you might be able to slide the tranny back and then tip the front down enough to then bring it fore ward down and out. Again thats iff the cross member can be removed.

If you can get the cross member removed you might be able to slide the tranny back and then tip the front down enough to then bring it fore ward down and out. Again thats iff the cross member can be removed.
That's what I'm thinking,I have to remove the crossmember in order to get it out

Auto Transport Service
Back