• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 to a 383 Advice

unclepunchy

Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
I have an A833 4 speed transmission from my 73 Duster and I am wondering what bellhousing, etc I would need to install it to a stockist 383. I have the Schumacher conversion engine mounts already for the swap.

According to the casting numbers, it looks like the trans is a 307 bearing and has a 23 spline. Bare with me on this one, I don’t know much about Transmissions!

The cool part is you can measure the bearing retainer and count the splines! Then you'll know!

I have an A833 4 speed transmission from my 73 Duster and I am wondering what bellhousing, etc I would need to install it to a stockist 383. I have the Schumacher conversion engine mounts already for the swap.

According to the casting numbers, it looks like the trans is a 307 bearing and has a 23 spline. Bare with me on this one, I don’t know much about Transmissions!
I'm right there with you about not knowing much about transmissions. I'm in the process of mating a TKO-600 5-speed to a 383, but prior to that I acquired the correct A833 4-speed trans, bell housing, flywheel, etc., and the bell housing & flywheel were both for an 11" clutch. Again, I can not confirm my comments since I'm going by what I was told before I purchased the used 4-speed setup. So I'm saying make sure you have an 11" bell & flywheel, I think you can use your old clutch fork & z-bar if it's a 10.5" clutch, which you probably have now from the Duster. I've attached pics of the A833 4-speed I purchased, maybe they'll help you in some way. Good luck!

A833 PP8332687 21H9A191150 0036.jpeg

A833 Input Shaft.jpeg

A833 Tail Shaft.jpeg

A833 ls.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that transmission, unless it's an 833 O.D. transmission, (They have a larger in-put shaft bearing retainer & used on later model cars, 75 & up?) it should bolt right up to any big block bell housing, but the shifter linkage pad on the tail shaft may be in the wrong place. There were different locations for A,B,C,D-Trucks & E Bodies. Yes some mid 60s & later C bodies had 4 speeds from the factory in them, & I have SEEN them. But I also believe there were only 2 locations on the trans. 1 on the front of the tail shaft & the other on the back near the drive shaft input area.

I'm pretty sure that transmission, unless it's an 833 O.D. it should bolt right up to any big block bell housing,
It would awesome if this were true. But sadly not.

It would awesome if this were true. But sadly not.
You are correct, there are 2 different bearing housing diameters, (Not including the 833 Overdrive unit) 4.35 & 4.80 O.D. & 2 different tail shafts. A/F & bodies short tail, & B/E long tail. Forgot about the F bodies OOOPPS!

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I should have asked this first - can I use an A-833 transmission off a 340 engine on my 383 engine? I am hoping yes, so the shifter will line up properly in the Duster. I don’t believe the A-833 has OD, because it is original to the 73 Duster.

Yes. Just need the right bellhousing. And that the 383 crank is drilled.

If your 383 crank is not drilled for the manual trans you will need to cut 9/16" off of the input shaft, taper it and use an aftermarket or Dakota roller pilot bearing.

If your 383 crank is not drilled for the manual trans you will need to cut 9/16" off of the input shaft, taper it and use an aftermarket or Dakota roller pilot bearing.
My crank has a recess/ hole in the rear facing section, I guess that means it is drilled?

If the hole is about 1- 1 1/4" then it is drilled and may already have a bronze pilot bearing in it, if the hole is about 1/2 deep then no.
If you snap a photo we should be able to tell.

Some are drilled to depth, some just have a center. Some that are drilled may not have the stock bushing OD diameter like this 440 auto crank I measured. (green)

1673743387292.png

If you putting an Abody trans in a Bbody shifter location will be off. You don't say what your putting it in?

You guys are super helpful, thanks a lot AND one more question. Will my 340 bellhousing bolt up to my 383? It’s getting delivered so I can’t just go out to the shop and check.

You guys are super helpful, thanks a lot AND one more question. Will my 340 bellhousing bolt up to my 383? It’s getting delivered so I can’t just go out to the shop and check.
No sir.

Auto Transport Service
Back