• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

??? about neutral safety switch wiring on an "A"

69 Runner

ADMIN wif a corner office (Deceased - RIP)
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
Forgive me for posting another A body question but....

I'm still trying to "undo" all the screwed up wiring in my 72 Duster and I'm getting closer. However, one of the next stumbling blocks is the 3 wires from the neutral safety switch.

According to the wiring diagram, the brown center wire goes directly to the starter relay. Is that correct. One wire from "point A to point B"? Just a single brown wire from the trans all the way to the starter relay?

Next are the other two wires. I'm pretty sure one goes to the bulkhead connector which houses the wiring for the wiper motor. Correct?

Wire #3. Book shows it goes to the headlight harness bulkhead connector. Is that right? To this point (other than being routed wrong) I don't think the headlight harness has been hacked, and all 8 of the spots in the connector are occupied. So where does "wire #3" go?

Lastly is the "yellow" wire at the starter relay. Again, the book shows it going to the headlight harness bulkhead connector. But again nothing in that harness seems to be out of place or hacked.

So if there is anyone out there with an unmolested 72 Duster (or maybe even a 71), I'd really appreciate you having a look and tell me WTF is up with these wires.

Thanks

I've only got a 69 and a 73 FSM. I don't know if they would be the same. I can tell you that the single wire from the relay going to the switch (center post) is a ground signal that allows the relay to start only in park or neutral. The outer two wires are your back-up lights.

Thanks. I've got the brown one covered except for knowing if it's just a single wire going all the way without any interruption.

I'll check the wiring diagrams I do have and see if I can come up with an answer for you.

If you have a 3 wire neutral safety switch, it is also used for your back up lights, the center wire is for not starting in drive, the two outside prongs work your back up lights>>

Forgive me for posting another A body question but....

I'm still trying to "undo" all the screwed up wiring in my 72 Duster and I'm getting closer. However, one of the next stumbling blocks is the 3 wires from the neutral safety switch.

According to the wiring diagram, the brown center wire goes directly to the starter relay. Is that correct. One wire from "point A to point B"? Just a single brown wire from the trans all the way to the starter relay?

Next are the other two wires. I'm pretty sure one goes to the bulkhead connector which houses the wiring for the wiper motor. Correct?

Wire #3. Book shows it goes to the headlight harness bulkhead connector. Is that right? To this point (other than being routed wrong) I don't think the headlight harness has been hacked, and all 8 of the spots in the connector are occupied. So where does "wire #3" go?

Lastly is the "yellow" wire at the starter relay. Again, the book shows it going to the headlight harness bulkhead connector. But again nothing in that harness seems to be out of place or hacked.

So if there is anyone out there with an unmolested 72 Duster (or maybe even a 71), I'd really appreciate you having a look and tell me WTF is up with these wires.

Thanks
Your 3 prong neutral safety switch the outside prongs work your back up lights"""

Wow....I appreciate you guys trying to help, but you're not understanding the problem or question at hand. I have the wiring diagrams. I KNOW what the wires are supposed to do. But if you reread what I wrote, you will see that the diagrams and the car don't jive.

I know the two outside wires are for the reverse light. (I think one is actually ground)
I'm pretty sure one of those two wires goes to the wiper motor bulkhead connector. What I need to know is where that second wire PHYSICALLY goes.

I need to know if the center (brown) wire is a single piece of wire that goes from the switch all the way to the starter relay without any breaks, connectors, or splices etc.

And I need to know where the yellow wire from the starter relay goes. Cause where the drawings show don't jive with the car.

OK, I don't have the info in front of me but I'm pretty sure the yellow wire comes out of the bulkhead connector from the IGN switch and that supplies 12V to the relay (connects to left lug as you face the terminals). If you have an auto car the starter relay has two spade lugs and the RT one can go to ground directly, which is what I used to do, or wire to the trans switch. Manual cars I think just have this pin bent over and soldered to the case for a permanent ground. The other wire from the trans switch goes back into the lower plug on the bulkhead connector (lower right?) but I'm not sure where it goes from there. I have a schematic at the shop and will try to get to it tomorrow to look it up.

Here you go straight out of the Mitchell Manual. Center wire (BR/YL) on neut start switch goes directly to the starter relay. Same pin on relay goes to the clutch safety switch if so equipped. Angled pin on relay (DK GN/RD) goes to pin T (right above/below solid red wire) on headlight harness. Corresponding wire on inside of car goes to horn regulator buzzer (????) outside terminal. Center pin on horn regulator buzzer is violet and ties to a splice that has the big black wire that runs to the center bulk head connector that eventually runs directly to the B terminal of the ALT. Other outside terminal of horn regulator buzzer has black-tr wire that goes to directional switch (????). I would think the ignition switch but the manual says directional. Anyway, it looks to be bundled with lt green, tan, pink, red, dk green, brown, white. Those sure sound like signal switch wires to me. Oh, I bet this is hot for the signal switch and they are also using it to turn on the starter relay when the ground is made up by the neut switch. Hope this does the trick.

I appreciate the help.

Spent some time looking at it all again (since it's been more than two months since I started the "great rewire" and (re)discovered something else. There is a two pronged plug (black and kinda "V" shaped) that comes out of the headlight harness a few inches from the bulkhead connector. The "other half" of this connector has been spliced in to the NSS harness. WTF?

Bottom line is I'm out of time on this (for the moment) and it's gonna have to sit till I can get back to it. At that point I'm gonna do like I have on the rest of the car. I'll just get a new headlight harness and NSS harness and fix it right.

Thanks all

That V shaped plug probably goes to the starter relay, which is mounted right below the bulkhead. Look at the relay and notice that one of the terminals is at an angle.

This message will go up in a cloud of electrical smoke (followed by pungent odor) in 30 seconds. Good luck, Jim.

Nope. Didn't go to the relay. The plug in the headlight harness and NSS were plugged in to each other when I took it all apart. Isn't long enough to reach the starter relay in any case

Auto Transport Service
Back