• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

About to attempt a transmission filter change on my BB 727

THE STIG

Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
I've never done this before so does anyone have any insight they would like to share? I've been told not to completly change the tranny fluid because it'll ruin my tranny but i don't really trust my source on that one. Any opionions would be greatly appreciated.

Who in the Hell told you that.Change the fluid and filters on my cars quite often.

Like I said I don't have alot of trust in that source. But in his defence he was talking about my 99 F150 not my Charger. Still sounds incredibly stupid though.

Remove the bolts beginning at the front all the way around to the rear. Have a catch pan ready for the fluid. When you get to the last two or three bolts on the rear edge, the pan will be leakin good by then. Ease the last bolt out slowly and drop the pan down front first into the catch pan. You'll see the filter and the retaining screws. Kinda self explanatory at that point.

I believe what your friend was referring to is that on high mileage cars where the transmission fluid has not been changed, sometimes changing it will result in a failed transmission. The reason is "I" believe because over time, clutch material wears off the clutches, but still remains in the circulating fluid. Once drained, thast clutch material is now gone. Even though the material is not on the clutches anymore, it still circulates through the transmission and still helps the transmission to pull. When it's drained out is when you can see problems.

I've actually witnessed first hand high mileage transmissions stop pulling after a service. Whether it's because of my theory above or not is anybody's guess. It sounds good, anyway. lol When we build one at the shop, we recommend trans service every 30K.

I have been changing fluid and filters in many high mileage trannys for 27 years,I guess I got lucky.I had a tranny fail after a shift kit install but I am sure that was my fault.LOL

I don't know, Jim. I think it's a pretty rare occurance for that to happen......but I cannot lie. I have seen it. And you know, they've all been high mileage Ford products, if that's worth anything. I could be completely wrong in my theory as to why, but that's all I've ever heard from the old timers.

While you are at it, you might want to pony up and get yourself a new tranny pan that has a drain plug/bolt in it. Makes it a whole lot easier to drain and then remove. But as Rusty explained, that is the other way of doing it without a drain plug. Me I like the ease of it. Yesterday, I was servicing my 727 and it made the job a lot more cleaner. I was adjusting my forward and reverse bands and trying to get my speedo to work properly. That's another topic for discussion.

Filters are available either through any tranny shop, or after market parts store. Also...I prefer the NAPA pan gasket, part #ATP 1-4430 for the re-install. It is rubber verses the Cork material brands and for me seems to seal better. Again that is just my preference. Also give a look-see at the valve body for any metal shavings in the area as well as in the pan. It has been know to appear during the filter change and the filter if working properly will have absorbed any dirt and metal particles. If it is or seems to be a lot, then button it back up, top the fluid off, and head to your tranny shop of choice. It is most likely time for a tranny re-build and inspection. It is and can be a messy job, but not that difficult at all. Hopefully you have and are using a Factory Service Manual to assist. If not there is a ton of U-Tube Videos that will help walk you through it. Good Luck and if you need any more input and help, you know the FBBO Brethren are here to help....cr8crshr/Tuck

Yeah, I cannot reiterate enough what cr8crshr said. Get a NAPA or equal quality filter. WIX would be another good choice. ATP is yet another. Just don't walk into autozone and get some kinda no name crappola.

Best transmission pan gasket comes from the Chrysler dealer check it out.It's a hard gasket with silicone on both sides guaranteed not to leak.

Rusty's right, on high milage trannys dont mess with the fluid, and DONT go get a reverse flush tans service, theres been failures with that because it sucks every piece of crud backwards thru the trans and the ball valves and channels get clogged

Just don't walk into autozone and get some kinda no name crappola.

That's actually exactly what I did. The only NAPA around me has pretty much banker hours. But the Duralast I have did come with two rubber gaskets of diffrent shapes, my guess is that it's to make it a more universal kit. As for any possible rebuild on the 727 this filter change will be the last time I spend any money on it, there's a rebuilt 833 in my garage that's going in when Im done aquiring all the parts. And also I always appreciate everythng from my FBBO breathern the vast knowledge that comes my way through this board could fill a library, I'll give some props to DC.com too.

Rusty's right, on high milage trannys dont mess with the fluid, and DONT go get a reverse flush tans service, theres been failures with that because it sucks every piece of crud backwards thru the trans and the ball valves and channels get clogged

Oh hell no. We have a 5500 dollar flush machine at the shop and all we use it for is flushing the lines and cooler out. Even if somebody wants a trans flush we won't do it until they agree that we're completely unresponsible for anything that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

That's because one gasket is for the 727 and one for the 904. They take the same filter. In fact, they share the same valve body.

That's actually exactly what I did. The only NAPA around me has pretty much banker hours. But the Duralast I have did come with two rubber gaskets of diffrent shapes, my guess is that it's to make it a more universal kit. As for any possible rebuild on the 727 this filter change will be the last time I spend any money on it, there's a rebuilt 833 in my garage that's going in when Im done aquiring all the parts. And also I always appreciate everythng from my FBBO breathern the vast knowledge that comes my way through this board could fill a library, I'll give some props to DC.com too.

For the record, I've lost two 727s from changing the filter/fluid. One SB and one BB.
Both were high mileage. I't scared me so bad, I don't do it anymore, and I've not lost another.

I will say, though that I have lost one to incorrect kickdown TP adjustment.
I will not have to learn that lesson again, either.

Auto Transport Service
Back