• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How overfilled before problems on 727 and how best to drain a bit?

Some Car Guy

Local time
3:51 AM
Reaction score
Remembered I haven’t checked my trans level beyond making sure it had some and it was clean. Guy before me used a shop to do some stuff and one thing was a trans filter change. Sure enough, just like the other stuff they did, I found an issue. I’d say it’s around or not quite a half pint over based on the add a pint line. Just guessing of course. I’d driven for about 15 minutes and it usually takes longer on my daily to fully warm the trans though.

Fluid is still clean looking. I noticed a little drip off a screw or two while I’ve been under the car, nothing I’d consider an issue on these things and never a puddle anywhere this parked.

Ive said this is the best shifting 727 I’ve ever had. No idea what’s inside other than it’s a 69 383/440 HP trans. Maybe it likes it?

I used to have a buddy in another town with some sort of vacuum system in his shop and he drained off something I got a tad too full doing a filter change. I don’t live there anymore and it’s not close. Maybe i could get a siphon started?

Last edited:
Modern trans are drained with some sort of syphon device.... You could probably rig up a kerosene pump (hand bulb) with a smaller acetate hose to fish down the dipstick tube. just cut the end at an angle, then push in til it bottoms out. I use a junker Holley blue fuel pump with a portable 12v power supply.

Or just try sucking in out...use a clear hose lol.

Piece of aquarium tubing down the dip stick tube and out below the car. Suck and drain.

Mark the hose for insertion to get the level where you want it. Run the car first, so you don't have a fake overfill due to drain back before you start.

so you don't have a fake overfill due to drain back before you start.
For sure...good point!! I just checked a car I have that hasnt run in a few months. I'll bet the fluid was four to five inches up the stick, where it would normally be an inch or so when running. I was surprised it was that far.

If its only a 1/2 pint overfull I wouldn't mess with it. 1/2 pint is not much for a system that takes 8 quarts

I had similar issue with shop over-filling engine oil just under a quart and used this. Should work for you too.

46602145-0844-463D-9BF7-CA0DFBF7DB1B_1_201_a.jpeg

And you are checking it hot and idling in neutral, right? 1/2 pint....1 pint....? Forget it and drive!

And you are checking it hot and idling in neutral, right? 1/2 pint....1 pint....? Forget it and drive!
Yes, neutral. Today was a short drive around the neighborhood so it wasn’t likely all the way warm. So it could be a little more than my guess when I next check after my normal trip out to the industrial park to check their pavement.

Some good ideas guys, thanks.

Sounds like this wouldn’t concern most of you. I’m kinda thinking it’s not a big deal given my use of the car has been pretty through. About three two hour drives and plenty of full test sessions. It’s by far the best trans I’ve had a hold of. Just wish they had added the PTKD and a deep pan.

First, half a pint over wouldn't bother me in the least. My opinion only. BUT, if it bothers you enough to deal with it.... I would either pull the pan and install a drain.plug (SAVE the trans fluid!) , or put on a deep pan with a drain plug and a filter extension .

1/2 pint over wouldn't bother me. If you want to drain some just pop the speedo housing out, it has an O ring and will seal up when you put it back in. If you need more out then jack up the front.

You could take a cake pan, and pour in half a pint of water or something, and get an idea how much higher than stock it is. (I'm betting on well under an eighth of an inch.)

Years ago I ran one that was nearly a quart over.....and ran it for a long time that way. No issues.

First, half a pint over wouldn't bother me in the least. My opinion only. BUT, if it bothers you enough to deal with it.... I would either pull the pan and install a drain.plug (SAVE the trans fluid!) , or put on a deep pan with a drain plug and a filter extension .
Oh yeah, I’ve got one of the pans I always liked ready to go on. Just hasn’t seemed important with how clean this fluid looks.

You could take a cake pan, and pour in half a pint of water or something, and get an idea how much higher than stock it is. (I'm betting on well under an eighth of an inch.)
Yeah that’s only a quarter of a quart If it’s truly only that high. Even a full pint isn’t that much. Doesn’t sound like anybody has seen it cause leaks and the stick doesn’t look like it’s foamed up from extra churning.

Guys. GUYS. Knock off the pressure side line at the rad, or cooler, and fire it up in neutral into a windshield washer jug and pump some out.
Drive till it's hot and touch it up if necessary.

Guys. GUYS. Knock off the pressure side line at the rad, or cooler, and fire it up in neutral into a windshield washer jug and pump some out.
Drive till it's hot and touch it up if necessary.
Wouldn’t that shoot out a whole bunch really fast? Guess it could be cranked a bit with coil wire off.

Auto Transport Service
Back