• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accelerator Pump - Carter AFB's

Gilach

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have major hesitation when flooring, if i nail it too quickly it, motor can die, backfire...i'm thinking it may be the accelerator pump. Any suggestions where i might find that adjustment and what the spec is. Carter AFBs. Everything is to stock specs. Thanks in advance.

best, Paul.

Carters.jpg

you may have a fuel delivery or timimg problem. everytime you see a carb black on the inside there's an issue.

Im with lewtot184. I am leaning towards a timing issue. Any time I ever see black soot in the carb throat it is almost always a timing issue.

Those carbs need a bath...big time. Carbon can flat shut you down.

I agree. How long have you been having the back firing problem and is your timing set right? If you still suspect the carb's squirters are not working right you can look down into the carbs and nail the throttle by hand. Just do it with the engine OFF :D As soon as you crack open the throttle, the carbs should be putting out a good stream and not just a dribble or a short squirt.

Thank you all for your quick responses. Motor was rebuilt about 10 years ago with very little usage since. I know the car needs a tune up, let me change out plugs/wires/cap/rotor and timing and see where that lands me before I start accusing the carbs of misbehaving. Updates to follow.

best, Paul.

Wear out one, or two, spray cans of Berryman's B-12 to clean those carbs...inside and out. Too many times people blame tune-ups causing bad running, while trying to get dirty carbs to act right. There are several real small 'ports' in those carbs that the carbon build-up can reduce, or fully block. Heck...if I was clogged up, I wouldn't act right, either!

It's a flat waste of time doing a tune-up, unless the carbs are fairly clean. Clean is a must, to get an AFB to run right!

Fark me, is that a Hemi?!

Mate, I'm running similar original dual quad set up on a 413. When I bought my car (after it sat in a collection for many years, it just would not make any decent power. I fitted electronic ignition, replaced the spark plugs and ignition wires first and it was still crap. Pulled the carbs apart and found the secondary jets 90% blocked. Explained alot!

Hey Frank,
My car is also from a collection and sounds a lot like your car. I've replaced the plugs and intend to change the wires and check timing. I will also get the Berryman as suggested by Mr. Miller.
And yes it's a hemi, took me about 30 yes to get one!!!!

Will keep you all posted on my progress.

Even with all the carbon...your one lucky guy!!!

Always wanted to get my hands on a Hemi.

Hey Frank,
My car is also from a collection and sounds a lot like your car. I've replaced the plugs and intend to change the wires and check timing. I will also get the Berryman as suggested by Mr. Miller.
And yes it's a hemi, took me about 30 yes to get one!!!!

Will keep you all posted on my progress.

Often said, there's 2 types of car people.

1. Those that have a Hemi
2. Those that want a Hemi.

Congrats on becoming type 1:love4:, I'm am destined forever to be type 2 :icon_cry:

If it helps, I posted this thread - http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?55818-Carter-AFB-restoration&highlight=Carter+AFB+restoration a few years ago on the resto I did on my carbs. One of surprisingly less difficult yet most rewarding things I've ever done with an automobile.

Auto Transport Service
Back