• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Add roof rack to flat roof?

StayTrue

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:51 AM
Reaction score
I was able to source a complete roof rack for my 66 Belvedere but cannot decide if I want one or not.. drilling holes etc. but I do like them and it’s a wagon after all.
Add it or forget it and where can I find a hardware kit to mount if I do go that route?
Thanks in advance!
-Mr Undecided

Last edited:
You'll need a nutsert tool, or a friend with one. My 71 Fury wagon's roof rack was installed with them. If you buy your own, practice on some scrap sheetmetal first.

Yep, nut-serts.

If going that route, after you drill the hole put some sort of rust preventer on the fresh hole and also the nutsert. While still wet, set the insert. You may even want to use some sort of sealer around the rack pedestal to keep water out. Another way to do it is to use a gutter clamp unit from Yakima, Thule etc. I used a gutter mount Yakima unit on my 70 Challenger in the mid 80's when I was into bicycling. You can get a plethora of attachments to fit those racks. Have the advantage of no potential leaks and rust starting areas too.

If going that route, after you drill the hole put some sort of rust preventer on the fresh hole and also the nutsert. While still wet, set the insert. You may even want to use some sort of sealer around the rack pedestal to keep water out. Another way to do it is to use a gutter clamp unit from Yakima, Thule etc. I used a gutter mount Yakima unit on my 70 Challenger in the mid 80's when I was into bicycling. You can get a plethora of attachments to fit those racks. Have the advantage of no potential leaks and rust starting areas too.
I’d rather do the gutter mount to be honest but wait… it has chrome trim.. ugh.. can a mount be utilized with a Factory rack? Or what I need to purchase a specific rack?

Last edited:
I had no problems with the 70. The stands pinch down on the gutter in the gap between the trim and roof. There is a J looking piece, vinyl coated, that comes around the outside and another vinyl coated one that fits between the trim and roof. There is a tension adjustment on it so it all pulls together. Didn't affect anything on the car. I was using a Yakima unit. The tension unit had lock cylinders too for some security. Once you get the basic unit on there with the crossbars, you can accessorize it with racks, storage units[ looks like an aero coffin], baskets etc. You could even DIY something with wood. Since the car will not most likely be listed, make a measurement of the width between the gutters and how tall the stands would need to be so you don't rub/damage the roof. From there you should be good. Check out an REI or bicycle outfit in the area. Also you could contact one of the companies direct for fit info and which one to get.

I managed to find an old photo of my 70 with the rack on. Unfortunately, not a close up.

IMG_3641.jpeg

Never liked them myself; always thought they detracted from the car's styling, and aerodynamically they're horrible.
I've passed on buying a couple wagons because they had them, and the ones I bought didn't.
All that said, it's not my car...

Well the deal fell through so the roof will stay naked… for now.. maybe forever..

Auto Transport Service
Back