• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding 2nd Garage, finally!!

8stackhemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:09 AM
Reaction score
Finally adding that 2nd garage that i REALLY need! Not real big @ 24x30, but will add more needed space Than our existing 24x26 garage offers.
Trenches are dug, footers in, block foundation completed today. One week & we'll backfill & get ready to pour garage floor. I'll keep posting as we move ahead.

AE85B3D6-10F5-4A54-8B38-7A6CDDEED814.jpeg

4286010E-25BB-4DF4-AF0D-1BA8EC3EABDE.jpeg

Yep, me too – just 20 years later than I wanted to do it. 26’x30’ build kit, 5 windows, 3 OH doors, one being a pass-thru (doors not arrived yet). Electrical started this past week. Three-car house garage is insulated/heated so currently no plans to do this for the new garage, just storage, extra vehicles under cover, and working space when weather is decent. Of course, my wife wants window shutters and some flowers around it, lol.

Garage Front 8 20 22.jpg

Yep, me too – just 20 years later than I wanted to do it. 26’x30’ build kit, 5 windows, 3 OH doors, one being a pass-thru (doors not arrived yet). Electrical started this past week. Three-car house garage is insulated/heated so currently no plans to do this for the new garage, just storage, extra vehicles under cover, and working space when weather is decent. Of course, my wife wants window shutters and some flowers around it, lol.

View attachment 1331039
YES, YES, YES!! SPACE RULES IN OUR WORLD, FOR SURE!

@eightstackhemi found a contractor to do the work, or you're doing it yourself? TIA

Looks nice!

@eightstackhemi found a contractor to do the work, or you're doing it yourself? TIA

Looks nice!
Little bit of both. Hired a guy to dig & pour footers & do all concrete flat work. Second guy who blocked,leveled, and squared up the foundation. The terrain is pretty much sloped so it goes from grade level on one end, to kinda high on the other end closest to existing garage. Trying to figure what I'm gonna do between the two buildings since there's such a difference in elevation. Concrete, deck, not sure!!?? Any ideas aout there??????
Have a contractor who is framing it up & closing it in with windows & one service door. Ordered an 8'x18' overhead door from the guy who installed the one on our existing garage a couple years ago.
Our son is gonna do the wiring for me.....i may rough it in since he lives in MI & we are in SC.
Then, i'll insulate & hang T1-11 rough cedar panels inside on walls & vaulted ceiling & seal those. No drywall. Gotta decide this week on whether i have the concrete guy put a stain (i'm thinking terra-cotta color) in the concrete mix, or not.
I also have to get creative regarding my garage apron connecting to the existing driveway & NOT go the full width of the garage, since there's such a steep slope to deal with.

097A53FF-0E3F-41F3-96E7-A2906AB57D87.jpeg

A man can't have too many garages!
Mike
View attachment 1330904
I just read your 'caption' underneath your '493 Mike' handle. Too funny & sooooo real. I'm 73 & aching in many places i knew NOT i had!!!!!
Hey, i see you're in White Cloud MI. i lived in White Lake MI until we retired down here in SC about 6 years ago. I miss MI summers & fall & spring......& i stop there.

Little bit of both. Hired a guy to dig & pour footers & do all concrete flat work. Second guy who blocked,leveled, and squared up the foundation. The terrain is pretty much sloped so it goes from grade level on one end, to kinda high on the other end closest to existing garage. Trying to figure what I'm gonna do between the two buildings since there's such a difference in elevation. Concrete, deck, not sure!!?? Any ideas aout there??????
Have a contractor who is framing it up & closing it in with windows & one service door. Ordered an 8'x18' overhead door from the guy who installed the one on our existing garage a couple years ago.
Our son is gonna do the wiring for me.....i may rough it in since he lives in MI & we are in SC.
Then, i'll insulate & hang T1-11 rough cedar panels inside on walls & vaulted ceiling & seal those. No drywall. Gotta decide this week on whether i have the concrete guy put a stain (i'm thinking terra-cotta color) in the concrete mix, or not.
I also have to get creative regarding my garage apron connecting to the existing driveway & NOT go the full width of the garage, since there's such a steep slope to deal with.

View attachment 1331134
Zoning or building code issues? Even though I’m not within hundreds of yards of anything but property my MIL still owns and ours, being farmed the town says my new bld had to be 16’ from the house and 20’ from property lines/easements. I’m real close to an easement, shared driveway with IL’s. Set the bld 22’ from the house anyway for swinging space. Wanted to build 35’ x 35’ though seemed to be an overwhelming looking build near the house so settled on 26x30.

Age has something to do with this too. Really, no good excuse for my putting off building long as I did, still could have drummed up the money for it, just not having as much as I have now, paying it from savings. On the other hand, more heady stuff I have to let be done by someone else at my age.

* Tip for younger guys who want another garage – DO it – you can thank me 20 years later, though I’ll likely be unable to receive your thanks, lol.

Are those larger than standard blocks?

Auto Transport Service
Back