• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjustable rockers- rebuild or new rollers?

Moms68

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Should I have a set of Crane adjustable iron ductile rockers rebuilt (around 550.00) with new shafts/ banana grooves or go with new roller rockers like Comp pro magnums?

Going on a newly built 440, Eddy 60929 heads, 10:1 compression non stroker.

Thanks in advance.

what do the comp rockers cost?what do you have in the cranes?

Didn't know you had to rebuild adjustable rockers?

Shafts are $100

...I'll take them if you don't want them

Do the cranes show any significant wear? If not I'd buy new banana grooved shafts & run them...

I know lots of guys like roller rockers but in my opinion you a throwing a whole lotta potential problems into the top of you engine if you run them....

I love the old Isky and Crane adjustables. I also like Bullet Proof Dana 60's too. Install them and forget them for decades.

Should I have a set of Crane adjustable iron ductile rockers rebuilt (around 550.00) with new shafts/ banana grooves or go with new roller rockers like Comp pro magnums?

Going on a newly built 440, Eddy 60929 heads, 10:1 compression non stroker.

Thanks in advance.
Did a 390 ford for a local guy 9 years ago and had this same discussion. Went with a re condition of the factory iron arms. Had the valve tip radius re ground with a new set of pushrods. Re used the shafts as they were varnished but un worn. I told him that the shiny anodized ebay aluminum arms looked great, but they wouldn't have the metallurgy or geometry of the proven factory pieces. It's still running today. For a 6000 r.p.m. engine, there's no need to try to get fancy & or shiny inferior parts that won't add anything to the package.

A new set of rockers with shafts is over 700.00.
I would say if you own the cranes then spend the money and have them rebuilt. But does that mean to have them bushed in the rocker shaft bores,and the tips done? if so the iron cranes are great units and worth the cost

Personally I always go roller tip just for the fact they don't put a side load on the valve stem. My valve guides always seem to last longer. But don't buy junk if you do it.

I've hit them with a brake hone, dust the tip with a scotch brite pad an go. The banana grooves in the shafts can be done with a a cut off wheel. Then polish the shafts.
Doug

I've hit them with a brake hone, dust the tip with a scotch brite pad an go. The banana grooves in the shafts can be done with a a cut off wheel. Then polish the shafts.
Doug

And make sure you get any abrasive dust that found it's way inside the shaft out of the shaft.... Take the cupped plugs out & flush it thoroughly... New plugs are allot cheaper than the damage caused by not cleaning the shafts out...

Auto Transport Service
Back