• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ductile Iron Rockers: Outdated? Or good investment?

68Satellite440

Local time
6:44 AM
Reaction score
I was recently at a fellow Mopar lover’s shop here in Oklahoma who had retired and was selling off all the excess parts he had acquired over many years. He had finished his T5 ‘69 Super Bee and was selling his house, shop, and moving closer to grandkids.

I purchased a couple blocks, some LY rods and pistons, and after I had blown thru my set allowance amount, he pulls out a used set of BB Crane Ductile Iron Rockers. Which catches my interest due to not liking the limitations of stamped rockers on future cam selection.
He offered them for $250.
He had bought them from a estate sale and never used them. They have some wear showing they were used, but doesn’t seem excessive upon inspection.

Are they worth investing the money in, or would it be better to just hold out and save up to buy a Roller rocker setup?

Im currently running a factory 440 with HP cam. Factory stamped valvetrain. Just collecting parts for a future rebuild and cam swap.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks! -Pat

I like them, but I'm old school. Lo
20171109_094355.jpg
ng story short, they work. I'm using a set on my 68 Dart with a 451 stroker and a 6 pak.

Old sets I think would be fine. I had issues with a newer set (2016) wearing bad at the tips. Crane is a pain in the butt to get a warranty from. I'll never use them again.

Since Crane has been out of business for many years it's going to be really hard to get a warranty.

Tom
I got one after several months. As stated, this was back around 2016. They sent me a new set which I immediately sold.

I was recently at a fellow Mopar lover’s shop here in Oklahoma who had retired and was selling off all the excess parts he had acquired over many years. He had finished his T5 ‘69 Super Bee and was selling his house, shop, and moving closer to grandkids.

I purchased a couple blocks, some LY rods and pistons, and after I had blown thru my set allowance amount, he pulls out a used set of BB Crane Ductile Iron Rockers. Which catches my interest due to not liking the limitations of stamped rockers on future cam selection.
He had bought them from a estate sale and never used them. They have some wear showing they were used, but doesn’t seem excessive upon inspection.

Are they worth investing the money in, or would it be better to just hold out and save up to buy a Roller rocker setup?

Im currently running a factory 440 with HP cam. Factory stamped valvetrain. Just collecting parts for a future rebuild and cam swap.

Thanks! -Pat
250 is cheap. Go buy some adjustable rockers.

Ss guys still have to run them
Roller rockers will achieve no net gain of horsepower..
Used parts are used parts of course, but if the world burnt down and you were in the finals, I'd be more confident with the ductile irons

I always liked the earlier Iskys, they had the hardened tip inserts, better than Crane.

Thanks! -Pat
Excellent rocker arms. Crazy good price.
Those rocker arms are super strong and will a million miles for sure. Get them before there gone. It would be a great and smart move. Even if you don’t use them.

I agree they're worth buying and that price is more than fair.

I would have bought them instead of the LY rods and pistons.

Thanks! -Pat

Are you talking about Phil Cook?

I've used several sets thru the years and have a couple of sets laying around. Compared to a roller tip rocker they're garbage.

I wouldn't say they're "garbage" HOWEVER keep a few things in mind ... the Cranes are an iron piece with hardened tips. I have seen MANY with significant wear at the valve end - rendering them useless. And once they start to wear there is no stopping it from getting worse. Also, they are not a bushed rocker so there is a greater tendency for them to gall both the rocker and the shaft. The Iskys with the hardened valve tip inserts would be a much better choice if you had a choice but they have the same non-bushed issue. Next is the price. I don't consider $250 a very good deal for these - even if they were brand new. There are some better choices out there - brand new for not a whole lot more money. This for example is an iron rocker, adjustable, roller tip AND bushed bore. Hands down, a far better choice.

IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

Be very carefull about Crane rocker arms...
The time before they went bankrupt and shutdown they put out multiple production runs of rockers that were not hardened properly,
also some sets were sold through Direct Connection..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

I'm very curious as to why people want those iron rockers. So be honest and tell us why you think they're worth chasing.

Auto Transport Service
Back