• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting the fan mounting on the water pump

Red63440

Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but can the 4 way mounting on the water pump shaft be adjusted out to align with the crank pulley? After installing my 383 I noticed that the vibration dampener does'nt go in as far which means my crank pulley will be out further about 1/8". If I can use a puller to slide the fan mounting out an 1/8" it will solve the problem.

Never had this problem. You sure the damper is seated all the way?
Is there an oil slinger, and is it installed correctly?

You need to figure what is wrong at the crank. Otherwise everything else will need to be changed.

I have had it on and off 3 times and it’s the dampener that was on the engine.

DDBE62E5-5C5F-408D-B370-0885FE2EC060.jpeg 6D3E1858-0870-441B-89C0-853F670A1FFE.jpeg 30230861-3953-4704-A37B-7158F5BBE678.jpeg

Yes - not uncommon to have to adjust the water pump pulley mount on the shaft on rebuilt pumps. Easy to pull them out some. Need to have the pump off the car to put it in a press to seat it further in.

Yes - not uncommon to have to adjust the water pump pulley mount on the shaft on rebuilt pumps. Easy to pull them out some. Need to have the pump off the car to put it in a press to seat it further in.
Really. Never seen or heard of having to do anything like that. If I paid for a pump and it was screwed up it would go back. The OP here has to sort out what is wrong and correct it. Not make it a bastard child.

This is a new installation and everything was based on the old 361. The 383 is new to the car with the only difference so far being the dampener. If needed I will remove the timing chain cover to see what’s keeping the dampener from going on.

This is a new installation and everything was based on the old 361. The 383 is new to the car with the only difference so far being the dampener. If needed I will remove the timing chain cover to see what’s keeping the dampener from going on.
I think by the pictures that is about how far they go on. So I do not believe that is your problem. Was the 361 all set up with these pulleys and they were aligned ok? Lots of times there is a pulley mis-match between a/c and non a/c. There are numbers on the pulleys that could help identify what is wrong.

No need to mess with the pump and possibly hurt the pump, get water pump pully shims...

IMG_0765.jpg

The engine just went in on Monday and all pulleys will be transferred over to the 383, all were non A/C. The dampener on the 361 was on deeper than the one on the 383 with about 3/32” clearance between the dampener and the timing chain cover. As you can see there is quite a bit more on the 383. Where are you able to get the spacers for the water pump? I have never come across this issue before.

First I'd see if there's a problem. If you haven't mounted pulley and alternator and checked alignment ?

Waiting for a few things to arrive..this is a photo of the 361 but can’t see much.
AAA6FF04-BA69-4678-8B1F-8ECB7C344F1D.jpeg

The engine just went in on Monday and all pulleys will be transferred over to the 383, all were non A/C. The dampener on the 361 was on deeper than the one on the 383 with about 3/32” clearance between the dampener and the timing chain cover. As you can see there is quite a bit more on the 383. Where are you able to get the spacers for the water pump? I have never come across this issue before.
Is this the damper off the 361? Sure seems like something is keeping it out. Something with the crank or thickness of the lower gear.
Problem is with spacers on the water pump again the alternator will be off also.

No the dampener came on the 383, the 361 is still assembled. The slinger is installed correctly as is the lower gear. With the dampener removed I can measure the distance from the end of the crank to the slinger/ gear and based on that there is enough room to go all the way on.

No the dampener came on the 383, the 361 is still assembled. The slinger is installed correctly as is the lower gear. With the dampener removed I can measure the distance from the end of the crank to the slinger/ gear and based on that there is enough room to go all the way on.
Only reason I said gear is maybe it is to thick or the crank snout is not machined correctly.Best to do as you said and measure. Something just does not seem right.

The engine came out of a running car including the dampener, the bottom end was never touched. Crank turns over freely and all I did was to install a cam bolt and washer and everything was lined up with the dots so it couldn’t have been backwards.

I picked up the same shims from jegs a couple of weeks ago. Another option is put washers behind the pulley to space it out

I will end up taking the timing cover off because this is really bothering me.

Auto Transport Service
Back