• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice/help pleas

Adam Nathan

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
I'm heading to California for 6 weeks and I was thinking rather than rent a car I'd buy one and use that for my time there.
My question is what do I have to do about registering the vehicle and insuring it? With who? And where?
Not sure about your titles and stuff.
Any advice or help would be great.
Thanks guys.

Are you talking about buying a new car or a used one? For a new car the dealership should help with getting it registered and they will give you temporary plates (I haven't lived in California for a while, but I think it still works this way). The bigger issue is that you have to obtain insurance for the vehicle to get it registered.

For a used car, you need to get a written bill of sale, the title and insurance,then go down to the DMV to get it registered. If memory serves, in California, the plates stay wit hthe vehicle, so you don't need to worry about that. It's important to make sure the title is clean (no lien) and if I recall there is a section on the back for the owner to fill out for the sale (might be mixing my state laws...the're all slightly different).

California is notoriously the most painfull motor vehicle registry experience in the US. I live in florida now and it only took me 30 mins to get a new title, plates and tags for the Roadrunner.

I'm sure others will chime in.

http://dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv

Go here, when you buy you will have 30 days to register the car, get new plates etc, first thing you have to do when you find one you want is get insurance, if you have insurance now see if they will cover a car in the states, if not then just call state farm or one of the cheap ones like online progressive or esurance etc. once you have insurance slip in hand go to DMV register car and get slip for proof and wait a week for new plates and title transfer. then you're all set enjoy my beautiful state!

Thanks GA. It's not gonna be a new vehicle it would probably be a Craigslist used and abused one.
Was just toying with the idea of it but if it's gonna prove to be a real headache to do then I guess a rental is the way to go.
Unless there's a chance of a loanski on your road runner mate LOL just deliver her to Vegas for me and leave the keys on the visor :)

I used to travel a lot, and the rental is the better way to go. Cheap, used, cars are a crap shoot, and if you roll snake eyes you can end up with a broken down car that no one wants to buy when you leave.

The only time I've seen these plans work is when folks who live up north come down to FL, but a nice rust-free car, drive it around, then take it home and sell it a premium.

Well I do like a gamble. Would love to find another MOPAR worth buying to smoke around in and if I fell in love which I've no doubt I would I'd end up bringing her home with me. Only one thing Better than a MOPAR in the garage and that's 2 MOPARS in the garage.

I just had a friend who went to Colorado for 6 weeks and needed to rent a car. He approached Budget Car Rental about a long term deal. They offered him a 35% discount on their weekly rental rate if he paid up front. Food for thought...

You could find something you like, be it price, looks or both, on ebay. You can arrange to pick up in Ca. or the place it comes from. I say get in Ca. because it is already registered and approved for that state. Contact your insurance company or any of the cheap companies out there and get basic to full coverage, depends on what you get really. If you don't want to keep, then get a beater that runs good, get liability insurance, drive the wheels off and sell it when you are done. Now days you can have insurance in a matter of minutes or hours. If you want a project this is a good way to get one. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back