• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Needed: Stock engine - ideal drive train combo

ChargingZach

Local time
8:58 PM
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was thinking to replace my 318 engine with 904 trans and 8&3/4 rear with something better yet stock like a 383... question is what to ideally install with the 383 in trans and rear end?
Please advise.

383 and a 727 transmission and keep the 8 3/4 rear end. For the power a stock 383 or a hot 383 makes the 8 3/4 will be plenty (a suregrip would be nice to). You will need a different driveshaft for the 727.

Hello all,
I was thinking to replace my 318 engine with 904 trans and 8&3/4 rear with something better yet stock like a 383... question is what to ideally install with the 383 in trans and rear end?
Please advise.

You have an 8 3/4 rear with stock 318/904 combo? I thought they usually came with an 8 1/4 rear.

I have a 318/904 in my 70 Satty and considering doing a 318 stroker and putting a shift kit in the 904 and a sure grip in the 8 1/4 rear. If yours is a numbers matching car ( from your other post?) , you can get over 300 HP with a 318 stroker and keep it numbers matching. Might be cheaper too, not sure though.

There is no "ideal" setup, everything is a compromise when doing something like this.
The 8-3/4" rear is fine. if open diff, you can install a limited-slip.
If going to a 383 big block, For the trans, either a big block 727, or you can cut the bell off the 904 and install a big block bellhousing (no changing driveshaft and a bit less drivetrain loss.) If you have the time/money/skills, you could also go with an overdrive trans, but it is alot more work and expense.
Sounds like you have the 383? Does it have the correct motor mounts to match the K-member, and the water pump inlet may be different side than the small block.
If you need a radiator, it might be better to get matching radiator? There are passenger side and driver side water pump housings for the big block if you need to go that route.

This is whats being offered to me right now. Its complete as it gets for 1500.00cad. Includes: Power Steering Pump, Alternator, Starter Carb, distributor, Fan, Kickdown Linkage, has updated MOPAR Performance purple cams and lifters and he believes the cam to be a 480 lift, MOPAR Performance Valve Covers and Air Cleaner cover.

IMG_8012.JPG IMG_8013.JPG

One thing that's always ideal is overdrives, don't know what your budget is but it's the best money spent for a cruiser. For $1,500 I'd want to hear it run and have a peak inside, 383's are pretty cheap.

Auto Transport Service
Back