• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket A/C Suggestions.

threewood nice looking setup. ask them if the carry the sanden hd compressor same size as standard just has a couple of more options as for one has built in meltdown fuse to save the clutch and compressor in case of trouble. also reeds plates much better than stock.

really like the dryer set up with cut out switch should be adjustable so you can drop it down to hold compressor in longer at red lights.

Do yourself a favor and go with Vintage Air. Their stuff is first class and they make systems that will fit just about anything. I'm using one of their universal heat/air/defrost systems for my '64 Dodge and it fits under the dash perfectly.
IMG_5758a.jpg

I did a custom dash with vents but they have under dash units too.

IMG_5919a.jpg

Do yourself a favor and go with Vintage Air. Their stuff is first class and they make systems that will fit just about anything. I'm using one of their universal heat/air/defrost systems for my '64 Dodge and it fits under the dash perfectly.
View attachment 784113

I did a custom dash with vents but they have under dash units too.

View attachment 784114

Nice! Cost? Do they include compressor mounting brackets? Did you call them with specs for hose length and routing? Since you replaced the original box, do the hvac dash switches all work with the new a/c box?

I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and install A/C in my 62 Belvedere. If anyone has done this already, who did you use? What compressor brackets work with a sb 318 poly?
I'm looking at something like this...
https://coldmasterinc.com/product/a...btu-450b-100hd-12v-special-order-extra-hoses/
Why not run this sweet dealer-installed Airtemp system? It was working and blowing cold on a R-134 charge when I pulled it. I only changed it out because I have enough spare parts to do a factory A/C system. Yuma is not that far from LA. I'll practically give it to you. Come get during Fall Fling or pay the shipping. I can pallet or box. Everything except the condenser and pump are already in a large Rubbermaid container. The last picture is the factory A/C unit from a 65 B-body I restored.

IMG_3426.JPG IMG_3425.JPG IMG_3427.JPG IMG_3428.JPG IMG_4640.JPG

Thanks friendofvirgil! I'll will keep it in mind, but I am going to focus on a new kit with the sander compressor at the moment.
Lot of options out there. I think I will call at couple places tomorrow and see how good of a fit I can get.

Nice! Cost? Do they include compressor mounting brackets? Did you call them with specs for hose length and routing? Since you replaced the original box, do the hvac dash switches all work with the new a/c box?

Total cost for the universal system I used was $490 but that was just the evaporator. The controls were an additional $50 or so.. (they have a few different types of controls). I purchased the Sanden compressor/bracket kit from https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/568 . This one mounts the compressor where the power steering pump normally lives. I didn't want the compressor in the stock location messing up the look of the engine installation and I'm not running PS. This is just one of the several mounts they have for B/RB and small block installations.
When it comes to the rest of the system I purchased the hoses and fittings from Vintage Air and made them up myself with the use of a AC clamping tool borrowed from a friend. Bought the Dryer from Vintage Air and the condensor from E-Bay. The whole system ran between $700-$800.

IMG_5646a.jpg

Total cost for the universal system I used was $490 but that was just the evaporator. The controls were an additional $50 or so.. (they have a few different types of controls). I purchased the Sanden compressor/bracket kit from https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/568 . This one mounts the compressor where the power steering pump normally lives. I didn't want the compressor in the stock location messing up the look of the engine installation and I'm not running PS. This is just one of the several mounts they have for B/RB and small block installations.
When it comes to the rest of the system I purchased the hoses and fittings from Vintage Air and made them up myself with the use of a AC clamping tool borrowed from a friend. Bought the Dryer from Vintage Air and the condensor from E-Bay. The whole system ran between $700-$800.

View attachment 784532
"I didn't want the compressor in the stock location messing up the look of the engine installation...."

Haha. That's exactly the opposite of my thinking but to each their own. I love the RV2 and how it looks. I can still see the engine. BUT, gotta love the options we have in doing Mopars now days as options which way to go are like no other in time for our hobby. Darn expensive of course. I did this factory A/C install on a non-A/C car and without a big block A/C parts car for reference and parts. This looks like a pre-mid-63 383 2bbl with 4-bolt valve covers and 324 casting heads. It's a 472ci 400 block with FAST XFi 2.0 controller.
IMG_5892.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back