• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket stereo's in a 71 B body

This is the speaker I put in front. Bass sounds are not directional, so it has one speaker for lower sounds, but also 2 tweeters. This is a direct bolt in speaker and I am happy with it. I recommend it if you are trying to keep the car stock looking.

View attachment 1357377
I recently installed one of those in a 69 Ply wagon, sounded pretty good.

I put mine in the glovebox. Out of site and runs off Bluetooth. As soon as I start the car it connects to my phone.. Little Kenwwod amp in the trunk next to a 10" sub. Two little tweeters mounted where the front dash speaker was and two 6x9's in the package tray I made. Crystal clear and has the perfect amount of thump. Had the amp lying around. Bought the Pioneer from a friend and 6x9's from the parts store. The sub box was my old practice bass amp. Changed the driver and BOOM. Sounds great. Under $200 cheap
20221015_091408.jpg
Resized_20220427_160625.jpeg
Resized_20220429_154359.jpeg

20221015_091712.jpg

I bought the US-740 stereo from Classic Car Stereo, I want to run 2 3.5" up front however in the rear I need to figure something out because my car was a rear defrost car and the drivers side is 5x7 whereas the passenger side is 6x9. I had the same issue on my 73 Cuda and made an adapter for the defrost housing.

I bought the US-740 stereo from Classic Car Stereo, I want to run 2 3.5" up front however in the rear I need to figure something out because my car was a rear defrost car and the drivers side is 5x7 whereas the passenger side is 6x9. I had the same issue on my 73 Cuda and made an adapter for the defrost housing.
Mine is not a matching car so, I took care to neatly oversize mine to make one fit. I don't like chopping rust free metal myself

I will use the rear window defroster that Mopar used back then when you had a stereo and the defroster. I know they used them in E bodies and I would think they used them in Bs as well, but we will find out.

248 Mopar 1970-74 E-body Speaker Housing
See attached thread with pics on how I mounted the 6x9 speaker on the drivers side package tray. I made a 1/4” Masonite spacer to place the speaker away from the 5x7 recess, cut the heads off the screws and threaded them into the nuts where the defroster mounts which is close to the spacing of a 6x9 speaker holes.

Note: the original radio failed and was replaced under warranty by Retrosound. Hence the different radio face shown in the below attached thread.
Ron

Retrosound Radio System Installed in 71 Roadrunner - Road Runner Nest
C1042115-6EA0-4731-9D8D-6132ECFB37BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Your install looks good and that link has a lot of good information.

Last edited:
So I did this with the original radio. I can stream from my phone anything and modified nothing in the car, I did upgrade to better speakers front and back.
"How to use External audio devices on 71/74 multiplexer radios ( UPDATE!! )
View attachment 1358654

I have maybe 40 bucks in it and an hour of time. I put a quick charge outlet with 2 USB chargers and a volt meter.
Thats awesome information. I am not going to use the factory radio but this is good to know.

That was on a radio with cassette recorder input?

I have one of these: 1971-1973 Dodge Charger Radio With Bluetooth USA-740
In the dash but I never use it. Instead, I have a modern single DIN media receiver in the glove box. They're both wired to the same speakers so I just make sure not to turn them both on at the same time

Even when one radio is active and the other is dormant, there is still speaker-level electrical current flowing into the electronics of the radio that's turned off. That could cause damage to one (or both) of the radios' output amplifiers. You may want to think about installing an A/B switch to select between the two radios, just to be on the safe side.

I have owned 3 67 Coronet 440s. I still the third one. I have the same Pioneer Stereo I bought for the first one in 1973 in this one. Some were made to last.

Hawkrod

How well does this Retro Sound 4"x10" speaker fit your dash? Does not fit well in my 71 B body dash.

Hawkrod

How well does this Retro Sound 4"x10" speaker fit your dash? Does not fit well in my 71 B body dash.
I looked for a picture but unfortunately it doesn't look like I have one showing how it fits.

I had no issue with the fitment at all. I think I have a similar speaker (but it has been a long time since I installed it) in my 73 Road Runner, which should have the same dash as you have.

What fitment issues are you having?

I looked for a picture but unfortunately it doesn't look like I have one showing how it fits.

I had no issue with the fitment at all. I think I have a similar speaker (but it has been a long time since I installed it) in my 73 Road Runner, which should have the same dash as you have.

What fitment issues are you having?
The speaker is just a little to large for the dash opening.
The car came disassembled so i don't know how it went together. But i have seen other car speakers mount on little spacers. So if that is the case the speaker would work.

I bought the classic car stereo 740 for my truck. Works mostly fine, but it will not pair the Bluetooth from my phone. The other question is that the stereo came with only one RCA output for the sub. The directions don't say if it needs a 2 into one RCA cable, or what.
I guess I need to call them.

The speaker/blower adapter DOESN’T FIT on B bodies… deck lid springs are on the way. Package shelf is too short so doesn’t have either the provision for the rear bracket. Hence why you couldn’t get dual rear speakers and rear deffog optioned at the same time. That’s only E body deal. My 74 Parts manual catalog shows that adaptor just for E bodies. BUT I think 70/71 Parts manual shows it for C and A too. In any case never for B.

I can talk with property because I got that adaptor and tried to fit it onto my 74. Hence I know it meets on the way with the deck lid springs. So BTDT

Last edited:
The speaker/blower adapter DOESN’T FIT on B bodies… deck lid springs are on the way. Package shelf is too short so doesn’t have either the provision for the rear bracket. Hence why you couldn’t get dual rear speakers and rear deffog optioned at the same time. That’s only E body deal. My 74 Parts manual catalog shows that adaptor just for E bodies. BUT I think 70/71 Parts manual shows it for C and A too. In any case never for B.

I can talk with property because I got that adaptor and tried to fit it onto my 74. Hence I know it meets on the way with the deck lid springs. So BTDT

quoting myself… here you can see the rear bracket and the shelf package provision on E bodies. Imposible to get that provision made on B bodies. Would be around the dutchman panel.

Longer bracket to reach the speaker shelf panel and open holes? Maybe, but deck lid springs are still on the way for the speaker adaptor bracket provision.

;topic=6431.png

BTW, on this pic, blower and speaker are reversed. Blower should be on rear hole.

Auto Transport Service
Back