• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AGM Batteries in older cars

real0803

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
What do you guys think on replacing a standard battery for a AGM battery ? I have access to nice AGM batteries at work and I swiped one . I am going to install it later on this week. But before I do are there any downsides besides the cost , because I got it for free ?

20240408_121124.jpg

20240408_121131.jpg

Last edited:
No down side. Good battery. Have them in everything.

The REAL DOWN SIDE IS GETTING CAUGHT THEN FIRED!!
BOB RENTON
It's not stolen we get parts for free every 6 months from vendors as employees of the company . Last month we all got small snap-on tool boxes .

AGM batteries are better in every way over way over lead acid . We also get lots of weird perks from our job ..

I believe that the fake Mopar battery in my '69 is AGM battery. Same battery for 5 years now? Was in it when I bought it. Odessy battery in my airplane went 8 years. Have to weigh the cost. There are pluses and minuses.

20210419_212054.jpg

Hate to say it, but it's been my experience that the AGM's I've had didn't last long(er) enough to justify
the additional expense.
As such, my '04 Ram now has an $80 Exide in it from WallyWorld; likewise, the big-amp battery in Fred
is non-AGM (and stays on a tender in wintertime, no issues). The smaller battery in the tractor is also
standard issue lead acid and has lasted a shockingly long time, too.

Only vehicle here with an AGM is my wife's 2012 Charger R/T - since their battery is in the trunk pretty much,
I've replaced it twice over its' life with the same type AGM as recommended.

I've had two or three Optima batteries in my Charger and like Ed wrote above....They didn't last any longer than a traditional battery but at least they cost a lot more!
Plus, they are heavy!
I'm watching the Lithium industry for my next battery. There are new developments where they have products that are no more likely to catch fire than a lead-acid battery yet they weigh a fraction as much.
FBBO member Dwayne @ 68 Sport Satellite has this in his Plymouth:

DB 238.JPG

Group 24 in size.

DB 239.JPG

1000 cranking amps and it weighs....

DB 240.JPG

SEVEN lbs!

I've had two or three Optima batteries in my Charger and like Ed wrote above....They didn't last any longer than a traditional battery but at least they cost a lot more!
Plus, they are heavy!
I'm watching the Lithium industry for my next battery. There are new developments where they have products that are no more likely to catch fire than a lead-acid battery yet they weigh a fraction as much.
FBBO member Dwayne @ 68 Sport Satellite has this in his Plymouth:

View attachment 1643749

Group 24 in size.

View attachment 1643750

1000 cranking amps and it weighs....

View attachment 1643751

SEVEN lbs!
Wow! How is it that it isn't subject to the same issues as other lithium-ion instability though?

Ed, see this thread starting around post # 15.

Lithium battery

Dwayne posts some great links to articles and videos about the new wave of Lithium battery development.
I know...many of us old timers only see the negatives associated with electric cars....I am guilty of that for sure BUT there are new methods of using Lithium that can be punctured or overcharged without catching fire. These developments are ongoing.
The traditionalists will resist this new tech based on concerns over fires. I can understand that but it is smart to keep informed on what is becoming available.
I moved my battery to the trunk 11 years ago to shift weight rearward but doing so resulted in a weight increase overall because of the longer and heavier cables required to get the battery power back to the front. A 7 lb Lithium battery back up front could cut weight about 50 lbs considering the extra wiring/cables and heaver lead-acid battery.

Nothing wrong with lead/acid. My Dually that was built in Oct of 02, still has one of the original production-line batteries in it. I do like AGM, though.
They're all decent...if you keep a tender on them.

I had agm's in my diesel pickup. Redtops, to be exact. Two red tops would run over $600 now.
I went to Sam's and compared their agm against their lead/acid. Agm had no more power, and no better warrantee, for about $60 more each.
So I got two lead acid. $260. If they last half as long as the red tops, I figure I'm WAY ahead. (Had a bad battery couple months. Bought five total)
My opel has world-class terrible battery access,...and a redtop
When this one goes bad, it gets another.

well @real0803 i've never seem a lunch box with drawers before , lol . must be tuff to carry in n out . i know mine takes a p/u . just to heavy to tote . shop box has grown roots , my pop's old craftsman is set in the cement , lol .

DSC01006.JPG

DSC01025.JPG

The post above by 413 made my point. It is specific types of Lithium that are potentially unstable. Different versions with different formulas along with the inclusion of BMS or BSM, whatever it is called (battery saver mode?) increase the level of safety.
Just like TNT can be dangerous, in the right hands, it works exactly as intended.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back