• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber and intake height issue.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
My friend has a 440 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake the issue he is having is that the intake sits up about an inch and a 1/4 too high. What intake besides a stock 440 intake will fit with a 70 air grabber setup.

IMG_4908[1].JPG

IMG_4909[1].JPG

First, make sure it's a 440 base on the air cleaner, which is shorter than the 383 base. The four barrel air cleaners used a round top, where is that oval top from...a six barrel?

First, make sure it's a 440 base on the air cleaner, which is shorter than the 383 base. The four barrel air cleaners used a round top, where is that oval top from...a six barrel?
That makes sense.Im confused. I just checked out nicksgarage air cleaner page. And now I'm even more confused. I guess all 70 440-4barrels got the round covers? The one he has is possibly a 69 or 70 for a 6-pack?

Holley street dominator, or the cr4b (or whatever it is called Ld4b, something like that anyway) edelbrock
Will give added performance and work with your air grabber, or the stock 440 manifold

OK I just talked to him and he knows its supposed to be the round one. But he wanted the oval style because he likes it better. So I guess we are back to a shorter intake. I did see on that page how to tell the 383 and the 440 ones apart. So I will have him check that to see if its the correct one.

Holley street dominator, or the cr4b (or whatever it is called Ld4b, something like that anyway) edelbrock
Will give added performance and work with your air grabber, or the stock 440 manifold
These are the 2 that I found in my internet search. So I guess I'm on the hunt for one of the 2.

I tried using the search but since the crash of the site its been wonky.. Thanks for the link.

Weiand also has a low rise single plane manifold for a 440 that will work. I forget the number, I had one and sold it to Sonny here on the board so he could accomplish the same thing.

Weiand 8009. I have one in my Coronet with air grabber hood and 4 barrel oval air cleaner. My hood brace scuffed the paint off at the passenger side rear side of the top.

8009 sits about 1/4" taller than cast iron OEM intake.

Go with the old CH4B. Even has a stock part numbers and flows very well for an old style manifold.

IMG_4753.JPG

I figured out the fit issue today when trying to install the 4bb air cleaner. The engine is sitting back too far due to the QA1 Tubular K Frame. With the base on it hits the wiper motor just a tad. Installed a ch4b the height is perfect but the engine sits too far back in the K-frame.

Last edited:
I figured out the fit issue today when trying to install the 4bb air cleaner. The engine is sitting back too far due to the QA1 Tubular K Frame. With the base on it hits the wiper motor just a tad. Installed a ch4b the height is perfect but the engine sits too far back in the K-frame.
2 or 3 speed wiper?

Auto Transport Service
Back