• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trick flow 240 Heads with Factory Six Barrel Intake

SixBarrelBill

Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
I'm going to give Trick Flow's tech line a call tomorrow but thought I would ask here for real world experience.

I've got a '70 Roadrunner 440 Six Barrel with the cast iron intake. It's time for an engine refresh and I'm looking at getting the Trick Flow 240 heads. I know I will end up port matching the intake which is fine with me.

We are running trick flow heads on my daughters 71 Demon, 408 stroker. This engine has the Edelbrock Proflow 4 which has the super victor intake. We ended up having to mill the intake .060 to sit correctly with the heads...the deck was not milled.

My question is, are any of you running this head with a factory six barrel intake and stock block deck height? I've got an air grabber hood that I love, so I don't want to get a set of heads that may cause any clearance issues with it. Or cause me to loose the six barrel setup that I have.

Thanks, Bill

IMG_4560.gif

Im grabbing the popcorn too, but I cant imagine the 240`s changing those dimensions......putting that intake on should fit up and have the same clearances as on any factory iron heads.

Im grabbing the popcorn too, but I cant imagine the 240`s changing those dimensions......putting that intake on should fit up and have the same clearances as on any factory iron heads.

Ya that's my hope.

I was super disappointed when the super victor intake on the 408 wouldn't sit correctly with those heads and the intake gasket. Even if we ran a super thin gasket, the gap between the block and intake was way too much to try and fill with goo. Granted they are different manufacturers, but I guess that's just part of engine building. After we milled the super victor, I was able to use the intake gasket, the holes lined up properly and we had the gap we were looking for between the block and intake. I just have zero interest in milling my cast iron intake...won't do it LOL!

Bill

If the take needs cut or porting buy an aftermarket aluminum intake, don’t port an iron 6 bbl. Save you 39 pounds off the front of the car also.

It will fit fine, I have the Edelbrock aluminum ch6b and a Holley street dominator intake and they both fit under air grabber 70 with tf240 heads.

I built one with an RPM intake and everything lined up perfectly.

Wouldn't a 220 set be a better match for a 6bbl? My 540 stroker runs like a scalded ape on those. Just a thought.

Wouldn't a 220 set be a better match for a 6bbl? My 540 stroker runs like a scalded ape on those. Just a thought.
What heads are those you are referring to? My engine builder has me totally second guessing myself. Feeling super conflicted on this build. The car mostly goes to shows but when I want lots of power I want it to be there. The 440 Source heads look just like factory but I don't want to buy them just to turn right around and have to get a valve job (guys on this site report that).

We built my stock 440 over 20 yrs ago, it's been beat...tired and wore out. My goal is to build an engine that looks factory but has way more grunt. That includes intake and exhaust manifolds. Yes, I realize I'll loose HP with manifolds but I'm not bracket racing, I plan on hogging them out. Been looking at about 500ci kits.

Bill

What's the goal? What does the small TF chamber do for compression/cylinder pressure? Pump gas? I'm sure flow wise the intake will choke the heads. What's the rest of the build?

I'm looking to run 91 octane, so yes pump gas.

At my altitude, we have run 11:1 compression with pump gas no problem. I would not go beyond that.

I mostly just cruise it to car shows and show off. But like I said, I'm looking for that stock look but with plenty of power. I do realize that the stock intake and exhaust manifolds give it limitation. I'm just done with this stock worn out 440.

Currently it has a 727 with a 3000 stall. Last season I removed the 4:10s and put the 3:23 sure grip back in. Much better for cruising to the shows and will still blow the tires off even with the 3:23s.

I'm not looking for a complete balls to the wall engine, just something much more improved. I only started this trick flow thread because they seem to be the best head. But do I really need the best head with what I want to do? That seems to be what I can't get through to the engine builder. He is all or nothing.

Bill

Completely disagree. 240 isn’t a big head at all, even on a 440. I run a 6bbl on some Indy SR’s but they’re raised port. Definitely hike the intake up a bit. Shouldn’t be an issue with the Trickflow.

IMG_6117.jpeg

Completely disagree. 240 isn’t a big head at all, even on a 440. I run a 6bbl on some Indy SR’s but they’re raised port. Definitely hike the intake up a bit. Shouldn’t be an issue with the Trickflow.

View attachment 1563360
I guess the other part that I'm looking at is I spent many years putting together my air grabber setup and I don't want to lose that. So it really does need to sit at factory height. I guess I'm looking at something similar to the FAST competition cars but doesn't have to be as wild.

I guess the other part that I'm looking at is I spent many years putting together my air grabber setup and I don't want to lose that. So it really does need to sit at factory height. I guess I'm looking at something similar to the FAST competition cars but doesn't have to be as wild.

Here’s an engine I built with 240’s, they don’t extend into the valley like a raised port head. So there should be no issue.

IMG_6850.jpeg

You need to get clear on what you want, your priorities and your budget.

Are you going with Stealth heads or not? If so, have them ported.
What cam type, SFT, HFT, HR, SR?

550 hp is pretty easy, but not inexpensive.

i have built a 505” Trickflow 240 engine that retains the oeiginal Six Barrel cast iron intake manifold and carbs. The block was just cleanup decked. It runs very well and we dynoed it with both a Holley Street dominator Intake with Holley 850 and then with the Sixbarrel setup with factory air cleaner.

The results were:
Street Dominator
635 lb ft @ 4400 rpm
594 hp @ 5400 rpm

Factory iron Six Barrel w/ factory air cleaner installed
608 lb ft @ 4300 rpm
576 hp @ 5400 rpm

IMG_6075.jpeg

i have built a 505” Trickflow 240 engine that retains the oeiginal Six Barrel cast iron intake manifold and carbs. The block was just cleanup decked. It runs very well and we dynoed it with both a Holley Street dominator Intake with Holley 850 and then with the Sixbarrel setup with factory air cleaner.

The results were:
Street Dominator
635 lb ft @ 4400 rpm
594 hp @ 5400 rpm

Factory iron Six Barrel w/ factory air cleaner installed
608 lb ft @ 4300 rpm
576 hp @ 5400 rpm

View attachment 1564413
Very nice! Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I was wondering.

Auto Transport Service
Back