• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternate Antennas?

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

So my 1970 Road Runner was built without a radio (AKA "Radio Delete" car). I like the fact that there is no big hole in the fender and no fixed antenna mounted there.

...but of course I want a radio.

I have done a search on the internet, but some of the units seem to be pretty cheesy - but who knows, maybe they work OK?

Does anyone have any experience with an alternate antenna setup they can recommend?

Thanks,

Hawk

Look for a "Hidden"antenna kit. We did a 73 Cuda and mounted it under the dash.The car owner said it worked for him.

I like talk radio on AM. The hidden antennas work for FM but not AM. The best antenna is one that mounts on the fender.

I had a factory antenna in the rear glass on a car I used to own that stopped working and had a hard time finding a good hidden antenna. I tried one of those small brick shaped hidden antennas and took it back. I ended up installing a short flexible antenna behind the interior panel above the rear fender.

I bought one a couple years ago, off eBay. Don't recall the brand name. It had to be hooked up to a 12v power source. Worked ok, not great. Still had some radio fade.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies, guys. As themechanic stated, AM is hard to make work in a car since the radio waves are so long.

I found a US made, nice quality unit. Not cheap, but seems like it might be amongst one of the better choices. Here is what I got:
Antenna.jpg

Once I get it, I will provide feedback to see how well it works. It may be a month or so away, but check out my restoration thread if you are interested in the results...

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?65096-Hawk-Rod-The-Restoration

I am sure there are some good hidden antennas out there, but be aware you might have to find a loop antenna with a powered amplifier in order to get as much signal as possible that comes inside your car through the glass. Even with this option as 69redrunner said, the signal will not be as good as an external antenna.

Radio antennas are typically placed outside of cars or in the glass because your car is a big metal box, a Faraday cage if you will, and electrical radiation i.e., radio waves, will typically flow around a metal surface or bounce off them and not penetrate them. This is the reason why you lose an AM signal when you drive under a bridge, all the metal rebar and girders are blocking the signal. Your car body acts as a reflector, or ground plane in antenna speak, for your fender or glass mounted antenna and helps the antenna to receive as much signal as possible.

I bought one from Crutchfield that sticks to the inside of the windshield, the wiring is hidden behind the upper windshield trim and ran down inside the plastic cover along the side of the windshield. My windshield has about 3" of tint at the top that hides it from the outside and the rear view mirror almost completely hides it from the inside. Just go to their website and look around.

- - - Updated - - -

I can post some pics if needed.

I bought the tune trapper that is shown above. It won't work for AM when you put it behind glass metal etc. I talked to the guys who make it and they also told me the same. The AM band is to weak however FM will work with no problem I am told. Just need to convert my radio.

Good luck with that hidden antenna, never seem to get them to work that well. Not sure what your budget is, but I would recommend contacting Rick ( http://www.ricksradioconversions.com ) and have him build your factory radio. It will look stock on the outside but will have USB, AUX and Bluetooth features. Then you will not need any antenna ! Plug you music device or listen to Pandora from your phone. He did my dart and will soon get my coronet, Very happy with the outcome. Plus the sound is great !

Good luck with that hidden antenna, never seem to get them to work that well. Not sure what your budget is, but I would recommend contacting Rick ( http://www.ricksradioconversions.com ) and have him build your factory radio. It will look stock on the outside but will have USB, AUX and Bluetooth features. Then you will not need any antenna ! Plug you music device or listen to Pandora from your phone. He did my dart and will soon get my coronet, Very happy with the outcome. Plus the sound is great !

Thanks for the suggestion. As it turns out, I bought a 1970 AM radio that I am having converted exactly as you say. It was almost a shame because prior to sending the radio out I hooked it all up and it worked great!
I am hoping to get my converted radio back sometime this month or early next month.

Hawk

I had my 63 Plymouth factory AM radio updated with modern electronics and interfaces as well, would still be nice to still listen to the radio, but I will not put a fixed antenna anywhere on the outside of my car. If a hidden one won't work, oh well I have picked my poison.

Auto Transport Service
Back